Seachange

Unfortunately probably at some strange time like 8:47pm.

3 Likes

SEACHANGE PREMIERES

Tuesday 6 August at 8.45pm

After being fired from her volunteer job in Africa, Laura Gibson ( Sigrid Thornton ) heads back to the beachside paradise of Pearl Bay for the first time in 20 years when Seachange premieres on Tuesday, August 6, at 8.45pm on Nine.

But after two decades, Laura is about to discover that Pearl Bay has changed in ways that will challenge everything she believes about life, love and family. She is forced to negotiate the loose ends of the messy life she left behind, but will her journey finally heal her broken family? And will Pearl Bay take her back?

In the keenly anticipated reboot of the beloved Australian series, John Howard reprises his famous role of Bob Jelly, who has just been released from prison for fraud. Kerry Armstrong returns as his estranged wife Heather and Kevin Harrington reprises his role as Kevin Findlay, the Pearl Bay fixture who runs the caravan park.

Seachange also stars Brooke Satchwell as Miranda Gibson, Laura’s oldest child – a conservationist whose strained relationship with her mother explodes when Laura turns up without notice – and Dan Wyllie as Ben Russo, new owner of the Tropical Star Hotel, the only pub in town. Ben’s life is at a crossroads as he nurses a broken heart and is in constant trouble with the town authorities.

Darren McMullen plays Findlay Knox, a handsome marine biologist working for Miranda’s sworn enemy, the Striplands sand mining company. Katrina Milosevic is Anna Kazan, the sergeant at the Pearl Bay police station and Miranda’s best friend. However, their friendship will face a challenge that changes their lives forever.

Other members of the cast include Kate Lister who plays local cop Lillian Liano, newcomer Ella Newton , Laura’s youngest child Stella Connors, a spirited and reckless woman with a well-developed sense of entitlement, and Alex Tarrant as Zac Bell, the trusty court clerk.

Deb Cox, the original creator and head writer of the treasured drama series, returns as executive producer of Seachange alongside Sigrid Thornton, Fiona Eager, David Mott and Nine’s Andy Ryan and Jo Rooney. Lois Randall is the producer and Wayne Blair is the set-up director and also plays local radio announcer Riley Bolt.

Seachange is an Every Cloud Productions and ITV Studios Australia production for Nine, with major production investment from Screen Australia and finance support from Create NSW. It is distributed internationally by ITV Studios Global Entertainment.

1 Like

Oh, so close :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I bet it starts later than both of those. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Sigrid Thornton and Kerry Armstrong were on Today and Today Extra this morning promoting the series return tonight.

2 Likes

It’s nothing like the original series. The change in location just doesn’t have the same feel. The original characters don’t seem to fit with the new. It feels like a completely different show.

Just saw Twitter posts on the reboot and there were mixed reactions. This one sums up the negative view:

The positive view:

this is a prime example of commercial tv not giving a stuff about viewers or even the fans . a lot on twitter arnt happy its been changed from victoria to nsw and dont like the changes . some are saying it wont last long or even go to 9go

It def felt cheaper, and after watching Netflix dramas, I really can’t stomach ads anymore.

2 Likes

Then record it and watch it later.

Easy fix.

I watched it all, I won’t be back.

I might be back next week. I think it’s okay…but the location change is a bit weird and no theme song over the credits.

at least Kevin ended the show like in the previous seasons.

But was there any mention of “Bucket”?

If they wanted to keep to the original, then the location change hasnt really worked. It’s very obvious on screen that this isn’t the same place.

I’m treating this show as a separate show all together. In parts it seemed good.

Theme song was there at the start but instrumental only.

Really surprised at the negative reaction on social media to Seachange Reimagined. I enjoyed it, though, I was never as invested in the original series as many seems to have been. If the mood is anything to go by, expect a big drop in viewing for episode two.

1 Like

if you watch on nine now the theme song with lyrics plays over the credits.
I thought it was alright. a bit hard to judge from the first episode. think people should give it more of a chance.

I was surprised in the show feeling cheaper moving from the Public Broadcaster to a Commercial Network. Surely there would have been more actors that would have considered coming back if asked, even if just for a Cameo. Would have liked to see a Harold & Meredith acknowledgement of sorts.

A lot of it felt Cliche such as Darren McMullen’s shirtless arrival and the quirky Junior Police Officer. The only new character to actually spark interest in me was the magistrate, but it appears she has gone already.

As someone very familiar with the new filming area, I was excited to see how it was done, but the set design really let things down. I wanted it to be good but was disappointed. It just doesn’t feel like Seachange to me.

4 Likes

Seachange won its timeslot last night just ahead of Australian Survivor, which reinforces my argument that the ABC should not have declined the opportunity to reboot. I hope the public broadcaster has learned its lesson.
Despite the funding cuts, next time a production company comes to the ABC to reboot a drama or comedy, I think the ABC should give it serious consideration.

Let’s see the ratings next week before reaching a conclusion. The ABC is all about funding new projects, not flogging dead horses.

1 Like