SBS Worldwatch

Lots of the usual content obviously :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Just joking of course. I reckon some international entertainment programs + encores of primetime that arenā€™t M or rated.

It will also be interesting to see what the typical daily schedule of the new Worldwatch channel will be like. Rather than just repeating the evening news of each broadcaster multiple times during the day, perhaps can SBS access other bulletins from each broadcaster?
For example, Hong Kongā€™s TVB, which provides the Cantonese news from its Jade channel, has a 15-minute bulletin at 1pm, the main 50-minute news at 6.30pm and a 30-minute news at 11.05pm at weeknights.

I think the Mandarin bulletin is one way to fill the void of CCTV-4ā€™s 9pm news bulletin thatā€™s been absent since CCTV and CGTN was suspended by SBS earlier this year.

Hopefully when the review is complete they can restore that bulletin too because I believe it was pretty popular amongst the older Chinese Australian population.

Doesnā€™t SBS have enough channels? Must be a ploy to increase advertising revenue from freeing up those morning slots for mostly generic repeats like the ABC puts up in the afternoons.

1 Like

SBS will launch a new free-to-air TV multilingual news channel in 2022 that will include two new SBS-produced prime time TV news bulletins in Arabic and Mandarin.

The new channel will also feature an extensive line-up of bulletins from leading international broadcasters in more than 30 languages.

The new 30-minute Arabic and Mandarin language news programs will be produced locally by SBS and broadcast during prime time every weeknight.

These new services - SBS Ų¹Ų±ŲØŁŠ News and SBS äø­ę–‡ News - will provide Australiaā€™s large and diverse Arabic- and Mandarin-speaking communities with trusted coverage, context and insight into the major national and international stories of the day.

Produced and presented by SBS journalists for an Australian audience, they will premiere on SBS On Demand in January ahead of the new channel launch.

4 Likes

Should also be noted that SBS used to have a news channel, that Iā€™m sure at one stage briefly had a locally produced Mandarin news program.

I think they then replaced it with SBS TWO, but kept the morning slots for foreign news bulletins, like VICELAND has at the moment.

2 Likes

yes they did, on both things, though I think unlike this new announcement, the former Mandarin news program was only once a week

lol when was this

Hereā€™s the wiki entry:

I remember overnight theyā€™d play the World News theme non-stop with I think it was world news headlines on the screen. EDIT: Here it is SBS World News Channel 09/06/2007 - Scrolling News Tiles - YouTube

1 Like

Lol it got replaced by sbs two in 2009, but they are making a news channel again twelve years later

2 Likes

I find it surprising that SBS will launch this new channel. I hope that there wont be much repeats of our locally produced news services through out the day. And that it will be new content from around the world 24/7 (or close to it). ABC News for example airs the odd repeat throughout the day too like the 7.30 show later in the night, to Australian Story , Q+A, docos

SBS and Viceland currently air Worldwatch from 2.30am until 12pm (Viceland) and 5am until 12.30pm or so (on SBS). Will be interesting to see what fills the gaps there.

2 Likes

It wouldnā€™t surprise me if this new channel will be replacing SBS Food. The free space on SBS ONEā€™s daytime schedule would give those cooking shows a new home.

Edit: Scratch that. Their press release explicitly states Food will stay.

So it looks like possibly a full MPEG-4 lineup with maybe SBS ONE (SD) the only exception.

4 Likes

The announcement on the sbs site mentions sbs food
It will not replace it

1 Like

I think we will see a 1 hour delay of the English-language news from France 24, Al Jazeera and BBC on SBS Viceland in the morning (7am to 8:30am following DW News) and then possibly either other English-language news or repeats of Small Business Secrets, Insight, PBS America, NITV news and Dateline in the mornings on the SBS main channel.

SBS Viceland may go with other factual or entertainment programming in the mornings.

1 Like

Wonder whether the channel will adopt the format that the previous SBS World News Channel had (ie; itā€™ll air news bulletins Monday - Saturday and dedicate Sundayā€™s to week-in-review/magazine programs)?

I would love to see SBS picking up news bulletins from Canada and New Zealand (e.g. The National from CBC, and 1 News at Six from TVNZ) for the new channel. They have never been shown on Australian TV.

8 Likes

It would also be good if SBS could pick up a weekly Business/Economics show similar to Counting the Cost on Al-Jazeera, to air on the new channel or on the SBS main channel.

Inside Story, also from Al-Jazeera, is a good daily current affairs program which would be a good fit on SBS.

1 Like

That would be good.

There are also English-news channels from South Korea, Japan (which they currently show at 5am), Turkey and Russia which they could show 30 min bulletins of, on the new Worldwatch channel or on SBS main channel.

3 Likes

Iā€™m guessing it will be on channel 35

3 Likes

SBS has modified its original information. Now reads:

These new services - SBS Ų¹Ų±ŲØŁŠ News and SBS äø­ę–‡ News - will provide Australiaā€™s large and diverse Arabic- and Mandarin-speaking communities with trusted coverage, context and insight into the major national and international stories of the day. Produced and presented by SBS journalists for an Australian audience, they will premiere on SBS On Demand in February* ahead of the new channel launch.

*Previously January

3 Likes