SBS Worldwatch

6 Likes

Love how adaptable the SBS World News set is - just changing the primary highlight colour sets each show apart (News, The Feed, Tour de France, Arabic News…)

4 Likes

When does SBS Worldwatch launch?

3 Likes

Considering how ‘simplistic’ that set is, it puts many other news sets to shame by how modern and sleek it is.

4 Likes

Notice they’re going with purple on the Arabic news, which corresponds with the logo for Arabic24 digital radio station.

2 Likes

With the launch of the two new bulletins tonight, when is the channel launching?

EDIT,
Just got my answer

4 Likes
8 Likes

With the new channel starting on May 23, that only gives SBS another three months to sign new deals with international broadcasters and set up a new schedule.
It will be interesting to see if existing bulletins on SBS main channel and Viceland will all move to the new Worldwatch channel, and whether that channel will broadcast in HD.

2 Likes

Hopefully they choose to broadcast their entire multichannel lineup in HD including Food and NITV. Not sure if they will have enough bandwidth to do so?

1 Like

Although if they have to stick to SD for any of their multi’s, it should really be the new World Watch channel.

1 Like

I wish there was the technology to translate & close caption in English.

I’d love to be able to understand news from other perspectives

That happening was confirmed when the channel was announced:

1 Like

In my opinion, since the Radio Language Review comes out soon, they should find appropriate news bulletins for the remaining languages broadcast on SBS Radio and broadcast those on SBS WorldWatch … though that may be hard for some languages because they used a government broadcaster for the Vietnamese service many moons ago, and long story short the Vietnamese community hated it and SBS pulled it off the schedule …

1 Like

I think you’ll find they wouldn’t commit to a start date without having this stuff lined up already.

13 Likes

With all the war action in Russia and Ukraine SBS should start worldwatch channel earlier maybe next 2-3 weeks any thoughts on this

3 Likes

They could have rolling coverage from BBC and Al-Jazeera as a temporary broadcast, before the official launch in May. Those two channels have comprehensive coverage of the conflict.

2 Likes

What do SBS have access to? ALJ and BBC? Does ABC use DW?

2 Likes

Also DW, France 24 and NHK. They also air RT on Viceland.

ABC also airs DW.

1 Like

Not sure if this has been noticed before, but recently SBS ended their partnership with France Televisions and have stopped broadcasting their news bulletins as part of the French segment. Now they broadcast TV5MONDE’s news.

Additionally, I heard on SBS Radio that SBS has suspended the Russian news and pulled it from schedule due to the current international events. Ukrainian news doesn’t seem affected.

4 Likes
2 Likes