SBS Worldwatch

Funny considering more money is spent on the Arabic bulletin rather than the Mandarin bulletin.

Linear numbers don’t mean much these days.
How many eyeballs are watching the content in general is what makes a difference.

6 Likes

In WorldWatch’s case, I’d contend that it’s not even this. The nature of the channel and the way ratings are collected means that the standard ratings (even some demos) are meaningless.

To get share you realistically need continuity of viewers across prime time - when you’re showing blocks of content in disparate languages one after another, you’re not going to get many (if any) people watching for long periods of time (ie, greater than one program), so they’re going to have viewer numbers that when graphed look like a rough sea.

That said, I doubt our ratings panels have sufficient diversity to accurately estimate viewers too. The panels are formed to be statistically significant and representative, but there is a limit on the latter without having impacts on the size of the panel, and given the nature of the programming and the diaspora that SBS are attempting to reach, they’re unlikely to be apart of any ratings panel.

SBS will have its own targets for the channel - they’ve got some of the best understanding and data of multicultural Australia that will allow them to get an understanding of the performance of the channel.

15 Likes

Interesting to see the numbers for the Mandarin News and the Arabic News in that article a few posts above. I agree that the way the figures at oztam is collected, that the numbers for this channel aren’t ever going to be high. Agree that most people watching the channel are watching the one news program, and once finished, they change over to another.

I know when Insight is repeated on the channel on Saturday nights (with Arabic subtitles at the bottom), the channel sometimes gets 0.1%. Probably because the show is one hour long, compared to other 30 minute bulletins.

1 Like

The channel does try to negate the one show switch-off factor by showing blocks of bulletins from particular regions together.

A post was merged into an existing topic: International News

1News from NZ being broadcast on Viceland from tomorrow.

10 Likes

This is a good get. Might have to record it and start uploading NZ news :wink:

5 Likes

Haha same here

1 Like

Better late than never.

2 Likes
5 Likes

Is it not Full HD? Looks like 720p?

1 Like

is Worldwatch an HD channel?

1 Like

It’s not on Worldwatch, it’s on Viceland HD through the Worldwatch branding

2 Likes

im guessing its yesterday 1 news ?

Why do you say that?

ah, no worries.

2 Likes

i had a brain fart lol i forgotten nz is 2 or 3 hrs ahead of us

3 Likes

It is today’s midday bulletin.

ASB and ANZ announced this morning that they would lower some of their interest rates.

2 Likes

1News at Six goes for an hour in New Zealand according to latest schedules (from Freeview NZ), but here on SBS Viceland, it runs for only 35 minutes. I wonder which bits have been omitted?

2 Likes