SBS World News

Job vacancy at SBS News

National Editor

We’re looking for a senior journalist capable of inspiring, initiating, commissioning and delivering a daily national news agenda.

This is a key leadership and editorial role in our cross platform national newsroom, responsible for assigning and overseeing national news and feature content for all SBS World News platforms, that provides the depth and insight into significant issues for which SBS has become renowned.

Online breaking news card

1 Like

Still frantically full of Castro stories at the top tonight, though not quite Sunday night’s 10 minutes-worth.
All an attempt I suspect to running Castro death second on Saturday after a day-old Prakesh capture story. Someone must have read the riot act methinks

Apologies if I’ve missed this somewhere, but how long has SBS World News been airing in native HD (albeit only for live studio shots and graphics) for?

Probably in part due to the MPEG2 compression/low-ish bitrate of SBS HD, the picture is probably a little on the soft side in parts but it’s definitely clearer than I remember the quality of SBS World News on the HD channel looking like when I last watched it! It’s certainly rather interesting (and perhaps sad in a way) how SBS World News seems to be ahead of ABC News and even some of the commercial network news bulletins as far as HD production is concerned!

Aside from that, Mike Tomalaris presented the Christmas Day news for SBS this year as per these captures.

Graphics and studio have been HD for ages.

1 Like

For the fans

1 Like

SBS World News from Thursday night. Janice Petersen presented solo:

1 Like

Looks like SBS World News got a bit of a pres refresh.

Some of the colours look darker.

Call me an old man, but I prefer SBS’ understated graphics over the OTT affairs on 7 and 9…

1 Like

Well this thread seems empty.

Watched SBS News tonight for the first time in perhaps 10 years.

Mike is a good presenter.

The weather graphics are excellent; a hundred times better than the rubbish the ABC are now using. Can the ABC use these and give us legible information?

The news reports themselves were generally very good, and much more informative than reports on the same topics shown on ABC tonight.

The report on Mackay having to be renamed because the person that, well, established Mackay, engaged in business practices typical for that time period, was stupido.

The report which gave Labor’s outrage-o-rama machine, Linda Burney, a convenient slot to tell us the phrase in the national anthem “for we are young and free” is racist, was pathetic. Every continent, every piece of land on earth, has been occupied by humans for tens of thousands of years. I’m not sure what her point was. Of course, we didn’t have a critical reporter to actually ask her this - would have been nice.

SBS should be careful not to turn into a copycat of Britain’s alt-left Channel 4, which has given up any semblance of presenting unbiased news.

Yeah, it’s better than Nine News Regional Southern NSW/ACT (everything is better than that), but SBS News is generally dull and disconnected. They need to hire some news presenters who have a bit of personality. And I can’t watch Lee Lin Chin - I just can’t mind meld with her fashion sense.

1 Like

SBS will be broadcasting BBC News at Six at 7am from tomorrow morning. I am not sure why the Six though as that goes to air at 3am AEST, when the bigger News at Ten would be live at 7am…

10 Likes

OMG if they broadcasted the Ten I would fangirl over Huw Edwards each morning :fist:

I’ll settle for Alagiah tho.

7 Likes

Could be because the News At Ten, sometimes, isn’t at Ten, so they need something that’ll be there at the same time every day.
Plus they’ll have to edit in commercial breaks etc.

It’s very rarely not at Ten, but yes the ads would make sense, unfortunately :confused:

Idea: why not air it at… 6am?

5 Likes

You’re thinking of ITV News at Ten, which was recently shunted to a later timeslot to accomodate some talk show. BBC News at Ten is consistently at 10pm.

I find it weird though that news isn’t consistently scheduled on weekends in the UK though.

2 Likes

In HD too <3

1 Like

The obvious reason would be that for half a year, the News at Ten goes to air at 9am AEST so it would fall outside when SBS schedules morning block of English news bulletins to air.

2 Likes