SBS World Movies

Must-watch movies on SBS World Movies

The King’s Speech

TX: Wednesday, 25 December at 7.30pm on SBS World Movies

Based on the true story of King George VI, The King’s Speech follows the Royal Monarch’s quest to find his voice. After the death of his father King George V ( Michael Gambon ) and the scandalous abdication of King Edward VIII ( Guy Pearce ), Bertie ( Colin Firth ) who has suffered from a debilitating speech impediment all his life, is suddenly crowned King George VI of England. With his country on the brink of war and in desperate need of a leader, his wife, Elizabeth ( Helena Bonham Carter ), the future Queen Mother, arranges for her husband to see an eccentric speech therapist, Lionel Logue ( Geoffrey Rush ). After a rough start, the two delve into an unorthodox course of treatment and eventually form an unbreakable bond. With the support of Logue, his family, his government and Winston Churchill ( Timothy Spall ), the King will overcome his stammer and deliver a radio-address that inspires his people and unites them in battle.

The Diving Bell and The Butterfly

TX: Friday, 3 January at 7.30pm on SBS World Movies

The Diving Bell and The Butterfly follows the editor of French fashion magazine Elle , Jean- Dominique Bauby ( Mathieu Amalric ), after he suffers a stroke that leaves him paralyzed. Jean-Dominique is told by a neurologist that he has a rare condition in which the patient is almost completely physically paralyzed, yet their mental and cognitive ability is completely intact. The film communicates primarily through Jean-Dominique’s thoughts as he strives to gain functionality and see out a book deal that he was signed before he suffered the stroke.

45 Years

TX: Friday, 10 January at 7.30pm on SBS World Movies

45 Years takes place across six days in the lead-up to the forty-fifth wedding anniversary of Kate ( Charlotte Rampling ) and Geoff Mercer ( Tom Courenay ). The film follows Kate, just one week out from the celebration as she is planning a party for the occasion while her husband receives a letter stating that the body of his first love has been discovered in the frozen glaciers of the Swiss Alps. Initially appearing fine, Geoff gradually begins to show signs of his unrest. By the end of the week, the question is whether there will be a wedding anniversary to celebrate after all.

1 Like

The channel will celebrate the arrival of Lunar New Year next week (January 19 to January 25) by airing a classic movie from China or Hong Kong each night.
Sunday: Let the Bullets Fly (9.15pm)
Monday: Drunken Master (9.30pm)
Tuesday: Ip Man (9.35pm)
Wednesday: Ip Man 2 (9.40pm)
Thursday: Ip Man 3 (9.30pm)
Friday: Red Cliff Part 1 (9.30pm)
Saturday: Red Cliff Part 2 (9.25pm)

In addition, this Saturday (January 25) there will be an all-day Asian movie marathon celebrating the first day of Lunar New Year. Here is the schedule:
07:20am Forever Enthralled (2008, China)
10:00am Gui Lai: Coming Home (2015, China)
12:00pm Ip Man 3 Rpt
01:55pm Uproar in Heaven (1964, China, animated)
03:40pm The Nightingale (2013, China/France)
05:35pm The Assassin (2015, Taiwan/Hong Kong/China)
07:30pm Kung Fu Hustle (2004, Hong Kong/China)
09:25pm Red Cliff Part 2

2 Likes
1 Like

I don’t know how Sabrina The Teenage Witch counts as a “world movie” but that’s what’s airing at the moment.

How is that not a world movie?

Alternative lifestyle.

SBS “World” Movies.
What a load of SHIT.

What do you think World means? What type of movies do you expect on this channel?

Its a channel that shows international movies. Last time I checked the USA is international.

8 Likes

Not so many English language movies. Definitely not so many commercial movies.

2 Likes

That’s your definition. Obviously not SBS’. They’re clearly evolving the channel.

4 Likes

American movies are already on 7, 9 and 10 channels. I thought world meant non english speaking countries

3 Likes

I dont think that’s ever been the case on the channel.

5 Likes

What are you talking about?

1 Like

I dont think they’ve ever only aired non English speaking movies.

1 Like

But i think they did air a LOT more non english language movies in the past (eg 1990s, 2000s).
World movies was around as a pay tv channel at that time

1 Like

It was inevitable that they’d run out of G / PG rated content that they’d have to start dipping into more mainstream stuff to prevent excessive repeats.

1 Like

I do expect SBS World Movies to show more arthouse niche B-grade international stuff, but have seen occasional mainstream US and UK movies in the past. This is just one of those movies.

It’s no different to SBS showing South Park all these years.

Wow, you seem extremely disappointed they aired a US movie. Maybe you should write them a letter?

8 Likes

This is basically what I’m getting at. Sabrina The Teenage Witch isn’t arthouse.

Maybe bring back the cult Asian and weird Euro movies on Saturday nights, like the ones Des Mangan used to introduce. I’d love to see the Flodder trilogy replayed.

1 Like

The Oscar-winning film Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, which aired on Seven a week ago, would have been better suited to SBS World Movies.

All good and fine if exclusive broadcast rights weren’t a thing :sweat_smile:

3 Likes