SBS World Movies

All good and fine if exclusive broadcast rights weren’t a thing :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Why can’t Seven show Oscar-winning movies too? Must they only show low brow movies?

1 Like

I recall reading an article around the time of SBS World Movies’ launch in which they said it’d be a “mix” of foreign movies and more mainstream movies.

It should be noted a lot of the ‘mainstream’ movies are independent titles anyway (low budget, limited release or straight to video). Only the odd one has been a big Hollywood blockbuster with A-listers that they’ve managed to acquire, usually one that’s been on a commercial network for many years previously anyway.

@JohnsonTV might’ve meant the target audience / fit? “Three Billboards” certainly didn’t feel like a movie suited to a commercial network that is trying very hard to reach particularly more 16-39s.

However I acknowledge that we have no clue as to what age groups globally went to cinemas to see it, we can only assume based on the movie’s premise, themes, cast and MA classification.

2 Likes

I don’t mind if SBS World Movies airs the odd ‘mainstream’ Hollywood movie, but Sabrina the Teenage Witch was a better fit for SBS Viceland anyway.

2 Likes

This week is Meryl Streep Week on World Movies.

2 Likes

Gomorrah

From Sunday 18 October at 8:30pm

Season one of Gomorrah will air on the SBS World Movies channel.

All three season will be avaiable on SBS On Demand from Friday 16 October.

The first three seasons of Italian crime series Gomorrah will be available on SBS On Demand on Friday 16 October.

Based on Robert Saviano’s bestselling tell-all book, Gomorrah is the inside story of the fierce and brutal Neapolitan crime-syndicate, Camorra. The first season of Gomorrah was filmed over 30 weeks. 156 locations were used to shoot indoor scenes, and outdoor filming locations included Milan, Ferrara, Rome and Ventimiglia, as well as Barcelona. Italian.

1 Like

A TV series on the Movies channel?

3 Likes

Can’t be any more weirder than the Sabrina telemovie a few weeks ago…

1 Like

Seems strange. If there was a night that a movie channel would schedule a movie, you’d think it would be Sundays.

1 Like

SBS World Movies have been airing the Swedish television series “Agent Hamilton” on Sundays for a few weeks now - at 8.30pm - with no complaints…

Am assuming that once this season is finished, that Gomorrah will take its place.

Does seem odd to air it on World Movies, especially on a Sunday, rather that on SBS or Viceland.

3 Likes

How is that weird?

Its SBS World Movies. The US, where the movie was filmed is part of the world.

Seems okay to me.

3 Likes

SBS World Movies (and tv shows too!)

1 Like

Operative word - movies. Not TV show.

Seriously, SBS’s channels and operations need to be looked at. If taxpayers are still forking out for crap like this, it’s time for a review.

Merge Viceland and World Movies as one channel, SBS2.

4 Likes

Huh? Sabrina was a movie.

2 Likes

Exactly.
SBS dont know what the FUCK they’re doing anymore!!!

2 Likes

Shouldn’t this be main channel or Viceland stuff?

3 Likes

Odd that a movie is airing on a movie channel? Even if it’s a made-for-tv-movie?

2 Likes

Yeah
sbs dont seem to know what they’re doing

1 Like

I was referring to the fact that Sabrina was a crappy movie of the week telemovie. I thought World Movies was meant for LOTE movies, not TV series, or shithouse telemovies.

3 Likes

Agreed with (reply to @ElCapitanCranky)
100% on point here! Spot on!

1 Like