SBS Viceland - Programs and Schedules

Oh right. Thanks for clearing that up.

Just looking at the guide, looks like SBS will be airing ‘6 days to air: The making of South Park’ this Wednesday at 8.30pm before the 20th season premieres the following night. This aired on Comedy Central back in 2011.

When is the rebrand occuring?

That’s my recollection. I think they also ran a few other cult comedies on Saturday nights - “That’s my Bush!” and “Aaagh! It’s the Mr Hell Show!”

2 Likes

The rebrand from SBS2 to VICELAND? I think that’s supposed to be happening sometime before the end of the year…

2 Likes

Tuesday November 15 according to SBS
It has started a hotline 1800 321 511 (free call) for viewers to tell SBS what type programs they want for the channel.

1 Like

Probably going to be time to rename this thread to “SBS VICELAND - Programs and Schedules” soon?

Also I note with interest that promotion for the channel will begin today (which I presume includes On-Air), as per the SBS Press Release.

Is it a part-time channel with world news programs or 24/7? I’m guessing that hasn’t been made clear as yet.

1 Like

Programing schedule details will be released in coming weeks, but somehow I wouldn’t be surprised if the LOTE news bulletins continue during the day.

Promos uploaded by SBS:

3 Likes

LOTE bulletins will have to stay at SBS2 given SBS has so many English language bulletins from foreign broadcasters right now.

It’s still SBS2 for another six weeks.

1 Like

Pretty sure SBS did say initially that the foreign news bulletins on SBS2 would continue.

New free-to-air channel SBS VICELAND launches Tuesday 15 November

The announcement of the name of the channel and the launch date comes following SBS and VICE announcing their partnership earlier this year. The channel will replace SBS 2 on television and online platforms, and will be available to all Australians for free.

SBS VICELAND will feature the best of SBS 2 news, sport and entertainment alongside the best programs from VICELAND – the distinctive channel of VICE-produced programs overseen by award-winning Director Spike Jonze, which launched to critical acclaim in the United States earlier this year. The line-up will include new shows covering culture, music, sports, fashion, technology and more, from around the world.

Details of the SBS VICELAND schedule will be revealed in the coming weeks.

Promotion of SBS VICELAND begins today across the SBS network directing people to make a free call to 1800-321-511. SBS VICELAND is listening….

2 Likes

A-League back to SBS(1)?

1 Like

There’s no chance of that happening considering:

• How badly it did in the ratings in the 2014/15 season when it aired on the main channel; and
  • The ‘toxic’ relationship that has developed between the FFA and SBS after the former unsuccessfully tried to end the latter’s contract early by shopping the rights package to the commercial networks

Totally expecting them to do something dumb like stop airing If You Are the One… just seems like the SBS way.

Renewed arguments take aim at SBS
SBS is about to face another assault on its direction, following confirmation that US-Canadian owned Vice Media will be the dominant producer of content on SBS VICELAND.

The Australian today hears from former ABC chairmen about the role of the multicultural broadcaster as it reports on SBS VICELAND content including “documentaries and reality series about underground comedians, cannabis culture, and illegal economic activity. Show titles include Weediquette, and Balls Deep.”

Former ABC chairman Maurice Newman slammed the move, saying it showed the SBS had “run out of reasons to exist” and ­argued management at the broadcaster was no longer being “true to their charter”.

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2016/10/renewed-arguments-take-aim-at-sbs.html/comment-page-1#comment-505106

Viceland launched last month on Sky (Pay TV) in the UK and it’s struggling to find an audience.
It’s peak audience in the first to weeks of broadcast was less than 14,000 between 9pm and 11pm. with some nights even recording Zero live viewers.

Source

And SBS should be prepared to see its audience sink as viewers turn their back on the rebrand.

I wonder if they will change LCN name of ch 3 from SBS ONE to SBS when SBS 2 rebrands.