SBS Viceland - Programs and Schedules

True. My teenage workmates practically watch no tv.

If the free to air networks follow SBS, we will have all our multi-channels controlled by foreign media companies and they will probably all eventually end up exclusively on the internet. Not good for Aussie content.

Vice must see some merit in being available via broadcast TV or they would just stick to on-line delivery like they have already been providing.

1 Like

The announcement of whatā€™s happening is extremely vague. Itā€™s been established that SBS2 is going to be rebranded and the new channel will be a mix of Viceland and SBS programming like The Feed and If You Are the One which will continue to air.

In regards to channel ownership, SBS will own and operate the channel but will pay a licensing fee (WSJ paywall) to have the rights to Vicelandā€™s programming library

How is this cheaper that running SBS2 by itself ?

Same question sort of with SBS Food ?

Could we see SBS decide to let rights go for shows off SBS 2 and streaming services like Stan pick them up?

What Aussie content is currently on SBS2? Iā€™m sure thereā€™s enough room in the schedule on SBS ONE for this content. SBS2 was a fail from the start. Way too niche.

Iā€™ve never heard of Viceland.

Viceā€™s content is a much better match for a younger focused SBS2 than the broader SBS1.

Vicelandā€™s programming consists primarily of lifestyle-oriented documentaries and reality series aimed towards millennials, directed in Viceā€™s trademark style of ā€œcharacter-driven documentariesā€.

From Wikipedia ā€¦ but general info.

The Feed, Global Village and in the past theyā€™ve had heaps of docos and series including Hipsters, Unplanned America, Danger 5, The Wizards of Aus and Starting From ā€¦ Now! and Tropfest. Plus repeats of show like Wilfred, Swift & Shift, Pizza, Housos etc.

Plus lots of first run free to air series from overseas like Unreal and Brooklyn Nine Nine. The future of these shows would be up in the air now.

Vice sounds more niche than the current SBS2 content.

3 Likes

I wouldā€™ve thought that it would be better for SBS to relaunch the channel and target a broader/older demographic (perhaps a bit like the primetime programing shown during the 2009-13 era of SBS TWO?) rather than one that has for the most part, given up on traditional terrestrial TV.

1 Like

Viceland would be paying for it essentially. And with government funding cutbacks, Iā€™m guessing SBS simply donā€™t have the money to do much else.

1 Like

Tinfoil hat: Such a rebrand might take the pressure off discussions of an ABC/SBS merger - both ABC2 and SBS2 are seen as overlapping, only now would SBSā€™ second channel have a distinct brand and focus.

Interesting article off TV Tonight which mentions The Mindy Project coming to SBS 2. So no longer on 7 Flix ?

The channel currently targets Under 40 with upcoming titles to include Undressed, The Mindy Project, The Internet Ruined My Life and Rocketjump. Further details on VICELAND will be announced later.

Probably just the earlier seasons. Itā€™s not without precedent - SBS2 had the earlier seasons of Parks and Rec when Seven were still airing the later seasons.

They also aired 30 Rock and The Office US, but I think those two may had finished their runs on Seven and Eleven respectively.

2 Likes

And Community too, with Nine still running the last season on Go! now.

The Australian eSports Championship Qualifiers Grand Final will be shown on free-to-air TV for the first time, on SBS2 next Friday (September 2) at 9.30pm AEST. The event will be hosted by the Australian eSports Leagueā€™s Maddie Searle, Danny Kim and Australian eSports Association (AESA) president Darren Kwan, which will see Australiaā€™s top two Counter Strike: Global Offensive teams, SYF Gaming and Athletico, engage in a best-of-three series battle to determine who will represent Australia in October at the 2016 World Championships in Jakarta, Indonesia.

South Park returns next week. A week late but thatā€™s probably good for SBS standards (why canā€™t it be fast-tracked to air tomorrow?)

Interesting timeslot 8pm. Wasnā€™t that the original timeslot on Saturdays when the show first aired?

Itā€™s airing at 9pm.

Correct me if Iā€™m wrong, but didnā€™t it originally air on Monday nights from the first season (between 8.30 or 9pm)?

From memory I think it was originally on Saturday nights before SBS started its comedy timeslot on Mondays from 8.30

1 Like