SBS Sport

The axing of McEwen was all over the cycling news websites yesterday.

Follows on from Michael Tomalaris’ departure. Not surprising.

Glad it was all over the cycling sites yesterday. Such a shame that Robbie McEwan is gone from SBS’ Cycling Team. And without an explanation either, apart from “his contract has come to an end”.

First, it was Michael Tomalaris, now Robbie McEwan. (and many soccer presenters too…). Just doesn’t seem right.

5 Likes

I won’t be surprised if Nine signs McEwan and Tomalaris for its coverage of UCI Road World Championships in Wollongong this September.

5 Likes

SBS Sport has really made some odd decisions recently. There has to be something more that explains what’s going on because the Tomalaris and McEwan departures are hard to understand on paper at least.

2 Likes

SBS on Demand will stream live the 2022 Chinese Super League football season from March, including two games each week for all 30 rounds live and free - with commentary in both English and Mandarin. Details to come later.

1 Like

Odd choice considering they are basically getting out of sport. Although the Chinese element makes a bit of sense.

1 Like

It will be interesting to see what SBS’s sporting coverage will be like this year without three of its experienced presenters: Michael Tomalaris, Craig Foster and Lucy Zelic.

5 Likes

Hopefully (looking less and less likely) Australia can be there!

1 Like

Interesting to see they will have commentary in multiple languages. Great innovation! They didn’t have this before, did they?

1 Like

IIRC at the last World Cup, SBS provided commentaries in Spanish, Portuguese and Japanese for selected matches via SBS Radio.

1 Like

I was aware they did some on radio, but was unaware whether they had ever done alternate tv commentaries.

It is quite interesting radio listening to the Brazil matches in Portugese especially when they score a goal! Very one-eyed commentary. Makes Rex Hunt sound like an ABC Classic FM presenter!

3 Likes

Who will present The Tour de France without Michael Tomalaris and Robbie McEwen, and the World Cup later in the year without Craig Foster and Lucy Zelic?

Freelancers perhaps?

Cause there is no one left at SBS, besides Marc Fennel (from Mastermind). Michael Hing (from Celebrity Letters and Numbers) and Joel Creasey (from Eurovision Australia Decides!)…

1 Like

They won’t be presenting either of those I’m sure.

i know they wont. It was a tongue-in-cheek comment from me. lol.

I hope an announcement of presenters and commentators will be announced shortly.

1 Like

Not until mid-year at the earliest. Probably about a month out from each event.

2 Likes
2 Likes

The battle for a place at the 2022 FIFA World Cup is heating up in Africa with 10 nations doing battle for five qualification spots this March, and you will be able to watch it LIVE, FREE and in HD on SBS and SBS on Demand.

After two gruelling World Cup qualification rounds to date, only 10 nations remain going into the third and final round which will be decided by five two-legged ties - as we bring audiences 10 games in five days LIVE, FREE and in HD on the screens of SBS.

Algeria, Cameroon, DR Congo, Egypt, Ghana, Mali, Morocco, Nigeria, Senegal and Tunisia are still in the running for a ticket to Qatar and are set to throw everything on the line during the March play-offs to secure their place.

All 10 games will be shown LIVE, FREE and in HD via SBS on Demand, with select matches to be also aired LIVE on SBS.

CAF World Cup Qualifying third round - LIVE SBS schedule

First leg matches - Saturday, March 26:

Football: African WC Qualifier - Mali v Tunisia - First leg

0145-0400 (AEDT)

LIVE on SBS On Demand

Football: African WC Qualifier - DR Congo v Morocco - First leg

0345-0600 (AEDT)

LIVE on SBS On Demand

Football: African WC Qualifier - Cameroon v Algeria - First leg

0345-0600 (AEDT)

LIVE on SBS and SBS On Demand

Football: African WC Qualifier - Ghana v Nigeria - First leg