SBS Sport

New set for the first EPL game of the 2018/19 season.

The new set looks quite nice - it definitely puts a fair few news sets to shame

2 Likes

Has SBS lost the FTA rights to UEFA Champions League? This time last year it was showing one match live per week during the important third qualifying round, which would decide the remaining teams going into the group stage. This week there were no matches on SBS’s schedule. Is SBS still talking to Optus which picked up the overall rights to Champions League last month?

Yes, their rights have lapsed.

SBS Coverage of the US Open tennis began today, at the Quarterfinal stage:

1 Like

As an added bonus, John Milman’s next match against Novak Djokovic is scheduled for the night session (US time) tomorrow which means SBS will be able to show it

1 Like

Is SBS taking ESPN commentary or world feed commentary?
Millman’s match against Djokovic should get a decent daytime audience.

World feed - you can tell by the graphics since ESPN uses their own graphics package

The 2018-19 W-League season was officially launched today. For the first time, every W-League game will be broadcast or streamed live on Fox Sports, SBS Viceland and the My Football Live app. SBS will show 15 matches during the new season, including the grand final.

Also, SBS will show the Matildas’ two home friendlies against Chile in November.
Game 1: Penrith Stadium, Saturday November 10, 3.30pm AEDT
Game 2: McDonald Jones Stadium, Newcastle, Tuesday November 13, 7.30pm AEDT

1 Like

It’s disappointing that there won’t be any coverage of UEFA Champions League on SBS this season, which start this week with the first lot of group stage matches. Not even a highlights show. I think this is the first time since competition began in 1992 there won’t be any FTA coverage. I hope Optus and SBS can come to a deal so SBS can show next year’s final.

3 Likes

SBS to broadcast upcoming Matildas internationals

SBS will broadcast LIVE, FREE and HD coverage of four upcoming Matildas’ internationals in October and November, also streamed live via The World Game website and app.

The Matildas will play two internationals against France on Saturday 6 October (LIVE from 4:30am AEST on SBS) , followed by a clash with England on Wednesday 10 October (LIVE from 4:30am AEST on SBS) .

Alen Stajcic’s side then face off against Chile for two matches in November, as the countdown to the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup continues.

This follows the recent news that SBS is once again the free-to-air broadcaster for the W-League .

SBS will show 15 matches throughout the 2018-19 W-League campaign - as well as the finals - LIVE, FREE and in HD on SBS VICELAND and streamed live via The World Game website and app.

The first match of the season on SBS is Brisbane Roar v Perth Glory on Sunday 28 October (LIVE from 2pm AEDT on SBS VICELAND) .

Matildas internationals – SBS broadcast schedule

Saturday October 6

France v Australia
04:30 - 07:00 (AEST) On SBS / streamed live via TWG website and app

Wednesday October 10

England v Australia
04:30 - 07:00 (AEST) On SBS / streamed live via TWG website and app

Saturday November 10

Australia v Chile
15:00 - 17:30 (AEST) SBS / streamed live via TWG website and app

Tuesday November 13

Australia v Chile
19:30 - 22:00 (AEST) SBS VICELAND / streamed live via TWG website and app

1 Like

I wonder if they’ll do their own commentary or if the English world feed for these matches has improved. Last time I watched one of these matches (admittedly many moons ago), the English commentary was pretty bad.

SBS properly needed something to replace the UEFA Champions League.

Ante Covic co-hosting with Lucy instead of Craig Foster. Tim Vickery corresponding via Skype in Rio de Janeiro.

Yeah its pretty bad. Looks like its only filmed in SD (graphics and SBS studio in HD).

1 Like

Definitely SD coverage of match. Pretty poor for 2019.

1 Like

Tonight’s Premier League coverage is being presented from the news set - the blue lighting they’re using looks quite nice

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure this stuff must be shot in HD. Last time I was in South America, the local leagues (admittedly on cable) looked to be in HD, although I could be wrong, I did have a few pisco sours in me.