Saving Ten

Iknow. And i agree. It would be too big a risk. But that is why i suggested to air it on Eleven at 7:30.

An early show of something like Big Brother could work at that slot - especially over the Christmas/New Year-Summer period - give the game show in that slot an short hiatus so as not to give viewers overkill

So Turdall why suggest any reality franchise to 6pm if you don’t believe it would work?

Ten could ultimately air first run Big Brother: Early Edition at 6pm-6:30pm on Ten , then an encore of Big Brother on 11 like you suggested at 7:30pm or even 7pm for that matter - should they regain the rights.

Ten could utilise streaming for 24/7 Big Brother plus air a Daily Show encore at 10:30pm on 11, followed by Big Brother up-Late from 11:30pm to 1am.

If we were to listen to the Nay-Sayers, then Ten might as well air a test pattern or an encore of something that might actually attract people - perhaps Bold and The Beautiful (Ten News sandwiched between the first run episode and encore) - as it would be Pointless to do anything else!!!

I didn’t say that.

That is not what I suggested either. I don’t like the idea of 30 minute early editions of a reality program. Seems like a mess and would create too much work with two productions needed.

My idea was just a way of creating a later news bulletin for Ten as there isn’t a network that has that option for the true demographic that finishes work around 6/6:30.

A new idea for a TV show - from what I can see it hasn’t been done before - but that said I could be wrong

Australia’s Best Gamer - 3 players compete each episode individually and the top 2 in Head-to Head rounds of various video games.

The show could be in 30 minute instalments

The first component could be 27 first round episodes, then 9 second round episodes, then 3 preliminary rounds and 1 final episode.

The result could me Sunday to Friday for 6 weeks and Monday to Friday in the 7th week - another possible Summer filler OR 2 episodes back to back 3 nights a week during ratings period with a 1 hour final (again over 7 weeks

No different to Big Brother Up-Late that aired during Big Brother’s early years - the problem is we have different mindsets - people will argue against Ten airing news at any time other than 5pm, plain and simple. There continues to be the excuse - “they tried it before and failed” - if all networks took that logic, then Ten would be the ONLY afternoon news offering.

Also, the only breakfast show would be Today as TV AM couldn’t penetrate Today and GMA in the 1908s and GMA became a morning long infomercial. The morning programs wouldn’t have come about because of the argument that people don’t watch long form entertainment shows - hence the axing of The Midday Show.

I believe a 6pm or 6:30pm news half hour National News would be an ideal fit for Ten as Seven and Nine offer an hour long edition on the east coast. Ten could do a separate 6:30pm edition for Perth/WA and it could be screened as a late news on 11 at around 9:30pm (on a 1 hour delay outside of daylight savings)

If you are so intent on moving reality TV programs out of the 7:30pm timeslot here are some ideas for you

Sunday 7:30pm Sports Tonight - hosted by Matt White
Monday 7:30pm Australia’s Most Wanted - hosted by Lisa Wilkinson
Tuesday 7:30pm Close Analysis - investigative journalism program similar to 60 Minutes and Sunday Night - perhaps fronted by Carrie Bickmore
Wednesday 7:30pm Sports Zone - sporting based program hosted by Matt White and Peter Heliar
Thursday 7:30pm Lisa Wilkinson Presents
Saturday 7:30pm The Project Weekly - hosted by Waleed Aly

Friday leave as is

I wouldn’t use those ideas as the whole point of my suggestion was to put news in that 7:30 or 8:00 slot.

I am confused about what you are on about. Perhaps go back and look at what I suggested. I haven’t even mentioned Big Brother in my post. Not that I think Ten would do it, or I would think it was a smart move, but I suggested ten air their current reality tentpoles at 6pm instead of 7:30; so I’m a Celebrity (1 hour), Bachelor (1 hour), Masterchef (1 hour). They wouldn’t be just creating a new show to then show the proper version on Eleven at 7:30. The Eleven broadcast would just be an encore.

Wow this thread is outta hand! Breathe people! :joy::joy:

1 Like

I know what you are talking about and quite frankly, unless you are retaining reality TV at 7:30pm, you might as well forget it - 6pm won’t happen - what happens if your idea falls flat on its face? Ten loses ground by moving mainstays from 7:30pm. The only time I would consider a 6pm reality program is over Summer and even that would be half hour so as not to upset viewers who enjoy The Project. If you move The Project to 8pm like you proposed, you will lose viewers and give ACA a wide berth to win the slot.

You could very easily insert a 15 minute news bulletin in what I have suggested and continue the flow into the night. Even if you had a 15 minute news program coupled with an hour long show, most nights you schedule would allow people to move between channels at around 8:45pm - reality TV could start then and not be screening 3 programs of he same genre at the same time - amore likely scenario than what you suggested - eg a 6pm screening.

If Ten were to move away from reality TV, I think they would best serve their audience by screening something similar to what I have proposed - otherwise leave it as is

Incidently, if Ten were to cut The Project back to 30 minutes, I think they would be more likely to revive Sale Of The Century for 6:30pm and screen The Project at 7pm - but even that is unlikely

But I did suggest reality at 7:30 still did I not?

I said it was a huge risk and one I probably wouldn’t suggest Ten to do.

The thing with your comments jb is rather than suggesting I don’t like this etc. you change someones suggestions and say that they like it when it wasn’t what they even suggested. This is a much better comment from you.

This has been suggested by someone before, perhaps you? I don’t like the idea of 15 minute programs. I hate when programs start at 8:40, 8:45 and that would be the first thing I would change to ‘save’ Ten.

I think Ten’s best years was when they offered an alternative to the other three networks. Reality at 7pm was a huge risk back in the day but it succeeded big time. Then stripped reality at 7:30 was a huge risk but it paid dividends for Ten. Now all networks are doing it Ten aren’t really offering an alternative. That is why I suggested why I did. Would it be something I would suggest Ten to do? If they wanted to take a huge risk then yes! It could work and make them competitive. It would automatically increase their share at 6pm. If they kept the Project at 7pm-8pm then this would be competitive - wouldn’t win its timeslot but would be competitive and could increase with a better lead in. Eleven would likely increase the overall share at 7:30 by showing the reality show. The biggest risk IMO would be that 8pm news bulletin. Would it rate lower than the Project and risk flattening the 8:30 entertainment programs? Maybe.

BUT yet

Enough said!!!

The problem is given all the other options available - streaming service and catch-up tv - networks are less inclined to make any radical changes to their schedules.

I do admire your bravery in thinking outside the square, but its not likely to happen for quite a while.

Years ago when Ten launched First At Five News, I thought Ten could launch their evening programs at 6:30pm and move Neighbours to 6pm, with Late News at 9:30pm til 10:00pm.

These days with all the alternatives, there is no chance for that way of thinking.

Are you f##king reading it???

You even quoted the above!! Are you seriously that stupid?? I keep saying over and over and over again that it’s not something I would actually suggest for Ten to do. I was simply suggesting an idea to get news in later for those that get home later and keep saying would be a huge risk and isn’t actually something I would suggest them to do! OMG! Its like talking to a brick wall with you.

It won’t happen! It was a radical suggestion simply trying to suggest news.

This thread makes my head bleed.

4 Likes

Does Ten need saving now CBS owns it ? It’s future is safe for now… isn’t it ?

1 Like

Why does everyone assume CBS has a bottomless pit of cash for Ten to use? Ten still needs to make programming decisions which will increase their profit for the company itself which CBS can only do so much.

I’m sure I read somewhere that if Ten weren’t in debt last year they would have been making a profit. So now that they have no debt, they are already in front.

1 Like

After 998 posts, I think we’ve Saved Ten.

Congrats all.

Lol just kidding this thread is going round and round in nonsense.

20 Likes