Saving Ten

not since WIN lost the court case :slight_smile:

two different resoultions:

UHD 4K is 3840px x 2,160p scan lines 4K DCI is 4096px x 2160p scan lines

Big difference in bit & frame rate also, but that said I doubt we will see 4K DCI anytime soon , not many mobile devices can do DCI standard recording, my device can and it looks awesome but gees it consumes HDD space with its whopping 55Mbits bit rate, it’s almost like capturing RAW vision.

I’ll say it again, if SBS can do

SBS SD, Viceland SD, Food SD, NITV + several digital radio channels & 2 MPEG4 HD 1920x1080i channels then they all can do it.

That’s presuming that every broadcaster has the same technical capabilities as each other, when they’re likely all running different systems.

Although I couldn’t say for absolute certain, it would not overly surprise me if Ten are running older equipment (compared with other FTA networks) when it comes to the technical/HD side of broadcasting, especially knowing the amount of new content that’s still in upconverted SD after having Ten HD back for more than two years.

Maybe.

The only MPEG4 channel they offer is TEN HD everything else is MPEG2, they seem to be doing well at managing bit rate, upping TEN HD when needed for sporting events and news broadcasts then dropping it down to lower levels and offloading the capacity to ONE during movies.

WIN on the other hand … well its WIN.

1 Like

I think we’re straying from the topic. There are other threads to discuss Digital TV technical parameters

2 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Digital TV Technical Discussion

earlier today I did a “fantasy booking” as in what would I do to save Ten wish list if I were in charge.

Somehow it ended up into a talking point of MPEG2 v MPEG4 household penetration rates, either way its been a good discussion about where things stand today with relevant & future technology standards.

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Digital TV Technical Discussion

Bring Back Video Hits - screen it late on Saturday night on ten (as either a 90 minute of 2 hour program) and repeat it at 7am on Sunday morning. The Loop encore could move to 6pm Saturday nights on 11 so that it doesnt clash with Video Hits

1 Like

Aren’t The Loop and Video Hits before it the same thing?

1 Like

Pretty much, it would seem redundant to return Video Hits when they’ve already got a show serving in that genre.

Yes but for a time ABC had Countdown/Countdown Revolution and Rage - Video Hots aired more classic hits than its successor and Video Hits aired over 2 days - not just one.

It would be an alternative to whats on offer late Saturday night

Expanding on a thought I’ve been developing for a while, and recently mentioned in the Ten Eyewitness News thread. During the short-lived 2011-12 “News Revolution”, Ten presented a total of 90mins traditional bulletin news that was later piled into one big lump at 5pm-6:30pm, with the over-saturation of news likely one of the reasons why it flopped.

What if Ten split weekday TENFAF to create two local 1/2 hour full bulletins at 5pm and 6pm? Still 1hr total of bulletin news, but in an “easier to swallow” format.

Some key points to further separate them from Seven and Nine

1. Avoid the “I’ll have more on this in the news at six” (i.e. we’re not going to air the full package story right now) curse common in Seven and Nine’s 4pm bulletins. Share key story packages, but have a bit of difference in some of the non-headline stories.
  2. Following from above, treat the bulletins as dual flagship, both just as important as the other, not as News at Five being a simple feeder for the main News at Six.
  3. Could give a “best of both worlds” to viewers. I’m sure many viewers migrate to TENFAF because it’s earlier slot is more convenient (I know I have), but for those who also like 6pm news, there’s a full product for them as well.
  4. Anything that isn’t traditional bulletin news in the 6pm-6:30pm slot will almost certainly fail given time since it’s up against Seven and Nine’s flagship bulletins. George Negus failed, The Project was tried at 6pm then moved back to 6:30, Family Feud has been axed with Pointless probably due a similar fate in a couple of years.

Programming throughout the rest of the day and night, particularly The Project, would also be unchanged since the reshuffle balances itself out.

5:00 - Ten News at Five (local 1/2hr)
5:30 - Pointless
6:00 - Ten News at Six (local 1/2hr)
6:30 - The Project

2 Likes

They tried this in 2011… it didn’t work. Sometimes there just isn’t enough in a story to create two different versions.

1 Like

It needs to be later. The people that attract the advertiser’s dollar are either still at work or on the way home from work. Local and late at 10pm. News at Five and News at Ten.

2 Likes

Yeah it surprises me we haven’t got more news later in the evening. Those that have the most money to spend often don’t finish work until 6 and dont have home until around 6:30/7:00. Have a news bulletin at 7:30.

Crazy idea. Not necessarily something i would do but perhaps:
5:00 News
6:00 reality tentpole; Masterchef, Bachelor, Celebrity etc
7:00 Pointless
7:30 News
8:00 The Project
8:30 Drama/Light Entertainment.

Then on Eleven show the reality tentpoles again at 7:30.

The idea is that News at Five and News at Six would still work in conjunction to national Late News at around 9:30pm or 10pm. The idea for News at Six was to try and fix the viewer vacuum at 6pm by putting an equivalent product against Seven and Nine since non-news isn’t working.

A 30 minute bulletin these days could work on the east coast given that Nine and Seven are 1 hour editions these days.

And Seven tried an afternoon news in 1996 which flopped. Changing viewing habits and changes in the alternatives could see something like this work.

At one point, 7pm seemed to be the home of Sale Of The Century, but 20 years on, no game shows at 7pm.

3 Likes

You could have an idea here - the possibility of a 6pm reality TV show - perhaps if Ten regained the rights to Big Brother - perhaps the line up could be over Summer (possibly from December until February/March)

5:00pm Ten News
6:00pm Big Brother: Early Edition (Pointless or other game show resumes 6pm timeslot at end of Big Brother series)
6:30pm The Project
7:30pm Big Brother: Daily Edition/(Feb-Mar) Reality Tentpole (Masterchef, Bachelor, Celebrity etc)
8:30pm Drama/Light Entertainment/(Feb-Mar)Big Brother Daily Edition

There is no way!..they are going to move any major franchise shows before 730pm!

2 Likes