Saving Ten

That still doesn’t sound like something that work on TV five nights a week unless it was heavily subsidized by sponsorship, because getting presenters/crew to travel all over the country doesn’t come cheap.

No.

1 Like

Pipe down, all this talk is hypothetical. Whilst I enjoy RPM personally, there are probably better general appeal lifestyle shows which would be a better lead in to the news on Sunday.

1 Like

there is others besides RPM that occupy that 4pm slot. Highlights of Supercars, big Supercar events, Aus Grand Prix (F1 & MotoGP)

I think most of the suggestions in this thread are too disruptive.

It should all be about slowly rebuilding. Build up the existing news service. Make it the best possible service it can be. Strengthen it’s political office and overseas offices. Bring in new, credible faces on all levels. Make it really impressive.

THEN you can start tweaking or adding additional services throughout the day or late night.

Down the track, I’d also look at localising The Project. If any show is right to be parochial, grass roots, local - it is The Project. Local issues, local sport, local comedians. It’s perfect and has a better chance of winning viewers in each state. It can also just re-use national reports.

2 Likes

I have been thinking about this. Pay Gordon Ramsy (spelling?) the big bucks to do it.

Ten could try for two separate local editions.

Weekdays
5.00pm Ten News Brisbane @ Five
5.30pm Game Show
6.00pm Ten News Brisbane @ Six
6.30pm The Project

Weekends
5.00pm Ten News National @ Five
5.30pm Sports Tonight
6.00pm Ten News Brisbane @ Six
6.30pm The Sunday Project

I actually like this run down, its safe and hasn’t been done before.

3 Likes

That’s not too bad :slight_smile:

Most of us old-timers have been suggesting news at 6 for ages!

My favourite is still:
Ten News at 5
Ten News at 6
The Project at 7

Its too much news… you need to break it up. I think it was proven in 2011 that this line up didn’t work.

6 Likes

Ten needs to keep the news at 5pm they’re known for it, they really just need to bring in other bulletins around it. First revive the late news before reinstating a 11am morning bulletin and pushing back Studio 10.

4 Likes

The execution was terrible. There was never any reason to stay tuned in at 6. Of course people turned off.

4 Likes

I don’t think you need to break it up - especially in Ten’s specific case. News all through is good branding. Especially with what they are up against. In Nine’s case, they don’t break it up from 3 right through to 5:00. I don’t think it’s too much news for Ten. If it was Nine, yes, maybe it would be too much. But 2 hours of local news in crucial local news timeslot is not too much.

Also, consider what they compete against at 5:30. Local news fits there… on Ten… in my opinion.

1 Like

late 70’s we had a soap opera @ 6pm… as an alternative revive Young Doctors and have some good old Aussie drama… tv is wall to wall news and we dont need more of it

Think about it. Ten News 5:30-6 puts pressure on Seven and Nine. It’s the local news brand when the other two only offer game shows. It feeds into the 6pm news. It’s TEN offering something different - which is how they roll. They are far better off with local news there than a game show. People can say there is too much news but, in fact, it’s the opposite. Ten would be the only local news at 5:30.

What are people switching off ten at 6pm for?

I’d do:

5-6pm: Pointless
6-6:30: Ten Eyewitness News
6:30-7:30: The Project.

In the UK, Pointless and The Chase go head to head competitively. Why not do the same here? The biggest loser would be the “tired” Hot Seat which is already showing signs of fatigue. If you can get the healthy Bold and the Beautiful figures to flow through the late arvo, that’ll put Ten on a good step.

Yes. Some may say putting news at 6 is the ‘death knell’ - not the case. Keep it 30 minutes (that’ll be its point of difference compared to Seven and Nine), then roll with The Project afterwards.

Promote - Promote - Promote the news. Continue investing in resources, and you’ll have a healthier Ten in late afternoons/early evenings.

My 2 cents.

3 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. It’s simple easy programming. Pointless as a new format would definitely chew into the audience of The Chase and Hot Seat.

Not sure how they’d approach weekends, but certainly for weekdays this would be a big improvement.

Seven/Nine News.

I just don’t understand the obsession of putting news at 6pm when it failed once before and remove a successful news bulletin at 5pm-6pm. The logical solution is to put Pointless at 6pm as an alternative.

3 Likes

I’ve stuck clear of suggesting possible schedules to date, but could they do the following perhaps on weeknights?

5:00pm Ten News First at 5 (National Bulletin, short & sharp update with no ads)
5:15pm Pointless (It’s a 45 minute format in the UK)
6:00pm Ten News at 6 (State Bulletins, heavily local focus)
6:30pm The Project (Less long form stories, more panel discussion)
7:30pm Reality Formats (given most go for 75-90 minutes)
9:00pm Light Entertainment etc
10:00pm Ten News at 10 (Recap of days stories & updates)
10:30pm Resume regular late night programming

1 Like

I would rather them reduce that length of time. And I still don’t like the moving of News to 6pm.

1 Like