Russia Ukraine conflict - Coverage Discussion

PM is holding a media conference. Only covered by ABC News.

Also this morning.

2 Likes

Yes he did

Just IMO: I’ve noticed in recent years Geof Parry struggles with live-crosses a bit, lots of “ums” and “ahs” and pauses, also fluffs a lot of words and gets tongue tied, almost comes across a being a bit out of his depth. Although with how quickly he was probably thrust into it over there and the situation it is, I guess he can he forgiven a bit. Surprising choice, especially for Sydney and Melbourne, but considering he’s covered other similar situations in decades gone by that’s probably why.

With Reason now there, wonder if they’ll do a swap.

At the end of the day… he is a very experienced reporter that has been to numerous war zones. I do understand why Seven have sent him over.

6 Likes

Also like he’s in a warzone, doing constant crosses.

Sending a battle -hardened veteran reporter who’s covered numerous scenes like this before is hardly surprising at all. Nobody at 7 would be suprised.

6 Likes

Have been sampling today the perspectives from some of the non-Western international news channels.

RT and Press TV are unsurprisingly pro-Russian and anti-West in their coverage and commentary, however remarkably China’s CGTN is actually very neutral and balanced so far (if not even a bit vanilla in their unwillingness to show favour to either side).

Thanks - anyone have video?

2 Likes

I was able to record the majority of it.

4 Likes

Did anyone have the actual crash though?

Full broadcast - the channel went to black for a few seconds before the news flash opener.

4 Likes

4 Likes

is this is from one of the moderators from the Foxtel fans FB group. I do believe the mods from the Foxtel fans Facebook group all work within Foxtel .in response to a person wanting Foxtel to take down RT:

Foxtel is committed to diversity in their news channels, including 14 Australian and international news channels on Foxtel. These include BBC World News, CNN and Sky News Australia, as well as Russia Today. Each of these channels have a different editorial approach and provide our subscribers with a choice of varied perspectives on world affairs.

While we are concerned at the gravity of the situation unfolding, the Foxtel Group does not endorse content from its news channel providers, including Russia Today. We will continue to monitor the situation.

At this point I don’t think it is necessary to go as far as banning RT, we are a relatively free and democratic country and part of that is respecting the right to be wrong (and being able to watch and criticise media we don’t agree with).

However, I would recommend that Foxtel puts up an advisory stating something along the lines of “RT is a Russian government-funded news network, Foxtel does not endorse any views expressed on this network.” so that anyone who is unaware is less likely to be sucked in to the insidious propaganda.

2 Likes

Would you put the same slide up for BBC News and ABC News?

Isabella Higgins for the ABC is doing a great job. Solid reporter.

No, nor would I even put one up for CGTN even with it being a dedicated China propoganda channel. The difference being that RT is affiliated with a government that is currently actively committing violent acts in another country in an attempt to overthrow that countries government, and as such it should be highlighted that it may and will present a skewed view of the events taking place now.

Fair point. But in that case China is no angel. I’d like to think Foxtel act with some integrity and dump both channels.

2 Likes

Tonight

ABC Late News tonight at 10:30 pm
SBS Late World News at 10:40pm
Nine News Late 11:20pm

Ben Lewis for SBS

1 Like
7 Likes

Well, they are community!

1 Like