Rugby Union

In all the media reports we see “torn up” being used. Is that a legal term?

1 Like

I’m a bit surprised he’s not appealing, he sounded very sure he was going to.

But at the same time, I’m glad he’s not.

He doesn’t seem to have much in the way of sporting options left now.

1 Like

They won’t get much for the rights, and will most likely to relegated to a secondary channel.

But I agree, it needs more free to air exposure.

By the time we get to 2020, the new broadcasting rights deal will be up for grabs for (7, 9 and 10). Since 2013, TEN/Fox Sports was the telecaster for the Wallabies. like i say who will get the broadcasting rights from 2021 onwards?

1 Like

10 is the only one who’d benefit from live Super Rugby, but would it give the ratings they need?

TEN used to rate well with rugby union since 2013-14 period. As it goes past 2017, the ratings have declined. I believe that was due to the western force axing from super rugby. The rugby championship matches needs to be shunted to 10Bold as the ratings have taken a dive.
Bledisloe cup could stay on main channel (if it continues to rate ok)

1 Like

Rugby as a whole has been on the nose in the last few years.

Not just the Force axing, but the Israel Folau saga has had an impact too.

Trouble is, Rugby has had very few “good news” stories of late to attract people.

1 Like

This will go on for a long time, it seems.

https://twitter.com/australian/status/1134717294142078981?s=19

1 Like

What’s he done with all the millions he’s earned from his career to date?

To be honest, he doesn’t get much sympathy from me over this.

1 Like

Folau will now have to raise money via another avenue.

3 Likes

Totally the right decision.

Mr Folau has significant property assets purchased with monies earned during his career that he can utilise to fund this (as others have pointed out).

3 Likes

Probably safe to say that Israel Folau’s professional sporting career is all but over?

Because with most if not all major sporting organisations in this country these days trying to position themselves as being diverse, inclusive and safe places for people from all walks of life to participate in (fair enough too), I just can’t see how someone like Folau with his highly controversial comments can fit in with that.

And yes, everyone including Israel Folau should be entitled to free speech. But if you say something that’s against the social media policies of your employer, that free speech shouldn’t be without consequences.

Finally, I’m just looking forward to this saga being over. Can’t believe it’s already been going on for about two and a half months!

1 Like

I was tempted to reply, but I am over it.

There’s much more interesting things to talk about here on MS, I’m not going to waste anymore time on Folau.

2 Likes

Likely and it could quite possibly end his wife’s career as well

2 Likes
1 Like