Rugby Union TV Broadcast Rights 2021-2024 (Nine/Stan Sport)

2 Likes

Fox and Ten by the look of it. Hope Ten airs a Super Rugby AU game on FTA TV.

1 Like

It did air Super Rugby game per week throughout the duration of the 2016 deal. It will be a first if it does air a Super Rugby AU game on FTA.

2 Likes

Can I ask when was this? Vaguely remember something about the 2015 World Cup shown on there, is that what you were referring to or is there something I’ve forgotten?

1 Like

I think it was 2011 Rugby World Cup, as well as 2011 and 2012 Tri Nation Series.

4 Likes

Channel 9 could get the British Irish Lions Tour if its sold now rather than ARU selling them a few years from now.

1 Like

This feels more like speculation than anything concrete - especially in light of previous articles suggesting broadcasters had bid, but those broadcasters claiming they hadn’t.

1 Like
1 Like

Interesting move

3 Likes

It makes total sense and as I have mentioned before in this thread, gives nine another opportunity to expand on Stan.

2 Likes

what do you think will happen? Nine get it or Foxtel and 10.

I just hope Nine doesn’t get it and even the article I think says it might not get finalised.

1 Like

then they should have done it for Rugby League and Australian Open tennis

1 Like

Probably Foxtel/10 in the boxseat still, but there’s clearly a bit of bad blood between Foxtel and RA, while 10 are essentially giving up sports and would be a weird one to have in their ecosystem.

5 Likes

I hope so about the proposed Fox/10 deal, otherwise it will get lost between Nine’s dominant Rugby League schedule. It seems like what Foxtel offered was a reasonable offer at the time. 10 still have sport in their stable, like MotoGP, Formula 1 and Melbourne Cup. 10 by all means should have a peek at sports whether it be for any major sporting code in the country like cricket, rugby or afl.

2 Likes

RA need to be careful. Because if they go with Nine and rugby doesn’t gain a decent amount of popularity on free-to-air à la Big Bash. They could be shutting out Foxtel for good

4 Likes

Ten should stay away. They’ve tried rugby in recent years, but doesn’t reach the numbers they need to make the investment worthwhile.

yet another example of sporting codes screwing 10 over.

No wonder why they don’t wanna do sports anymore…

Super Rugby really needs a proper FTA presence in Australia. It’s meandered along for a long time now and only captured something close to mainstream interest when the Reds or Waratahs are challenging (which isn’t that often).

Getting a live match or two each weekend on FTA would at least keep it in the public consciousness even when the home teams aren’t flying. If Nine are offering that and Ten aren’t it’s a no brainer imo (assuming the $ amounts are similar enough).

9 showing a match on a Saturday night fits in well with their NRL coverage commitments when the seasons overlap.

I do think it’d be hard for any network to sign up to Super Rugby rights atm though given the uncertainty regarding the make up of the comp next year and into the future.

1 Like

Hardly. RA have been abundantly clear they want live Super Rugby on free to air. 10 don’t want it, they bid for Wallabies only with a reduced fee

then let 10 have Wallabies with domestic rugby on Nine.