Rugby League

Though Tamara Oudyn wasn’t very familiar with who the interim Tigers coach Brett Kimmorley was, she pronounced his surname as “Kimma-lee” not “Kim-more-lee” as he is known. Understandable I guess!

1 Like

I think Nathan Brown quit on his accord based on the Warriors statement.

3 Likes

Shattered.

But QLD were the better side and deserved to win… 16-10 the final score.

NSW have to win in Perth and Brisbane to win the series now.

6 Likes

What a thriller. Maroons showed guts in the last 10 minutes to keep the lead.

3 Likes
2 Likes

A couple of big turnarounds in both of tonight’s games.

Manly led by 14 with 7 mins to go against the Cows only to concede 3 tries in 4 mins and go down 26-28.

And Melbourne were down by 10 late in the 1st half against Brisbane to then score the next 26 points and run out 32-20 winners.

2 Likes

Today’s Sunday Telegraph has a breakdown of winning margins of State of Origin matches.

6 Likes
3 Likes

NSW announced their squad for State of Origin game 2 last night.

1 Like
2 Likes

NSW Women’s won tonight’s Origin game 20-14.

It was a good tough hard game, NSW definitely the better side though.

1 Like

The Daily Telegraph reports North Sydney Bears chairman Daniel Dickson and club legend and board member Billy Moore are now in Perth to discuss the joint bid with the WA Government for the new 18th team licence. Dickson and Moore will attend game 2 of State of Origin at Optus Stadium on Sunday, before meeting VenuesWest officials and state government ministers on Monday.

Separately, NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo told Phil Rothfield that he would meet with VenuesWest chief executive Peter Bauchop and WA government officials in Perth during Origin II at Optus.

4 Likes

I would like to see Perth be the 18th team, but preferably not as the Bears.

They deserve to have their own identity, like the Pumas or Pirates as previously suggested.

3 Likes

Id like to see a team from either Perth or Adelaide make it.

If a team from Perth does “merge” with North Sydney, id rather have the team play a majority of their home games out of Perth. And maybe have a trials match and “the heritage round” play at North Sydney Oval.

3 Likes

As much as I don’t typically watch NRL, I would like to see NRL establish a Licence in WA. Despite NRL being a niche sport in WA, Rugby league is growing in WA. The time for a new NRL team in WA is 11 years overdue.

3 Likes

The Western/Perth Reds were an unfortunate victim of the Super League war in the late 90s… they had pretty reasonable success on/off the field in the 3 years they were there.

5 Likes

I Prefer the Perth-North Sydney Joint Bid after than a Stand-alone WA Franchise.

I support a standalone WA franchise (like the Western/Perth Reds used to be), but if a combined Perth/North Sydney bid means it can enter the competition sooner, say 2025, then I am all for it.

4 Likes

Redcliffe Dolphins coach Wayne Bennett has voiced his disapproval of the NRL getting rid of its representative round next year.

With the incoming Dolphins team seeing the need for the NRL to introduce a weekly bye and Origin set to return to its mid-week time slots due to TV rights, there will be no room for the standalone representative round to be held in 2023.

It’s been a great first half in the 2nd Origin game!

Teams are evenly matched and both sides have turned up to play.

Can’t wait for the 2nd 40 minutes.