Royal Children's Hospital Good Friday Appeal

Yes that was the schedule, it’s a big change this year having no morning session with only live crosses during the morning.

2 Likes

I wonder how Melbourne/Victorian viewers feel about the major reduction in the amount of airtime for The Good Friday Appeal in recent years?

While I’m also aware that a special 12pm bulletin has aired in Melbourne on Good Friday in the past, having one at 11.30am in lieu of the standard national edition of Seven Morning News (which I presume will still be produced and go to air in other markets on April 19) could also be used as a trial for something more permanent in the future?

I thought it was good in the last year or two (?) having the Felgate family on set (Michael, Jacqui and their children), was really sweet and encapsulated the Easter ‘feels’ :slight_smile:

I don’t like that Seven (and/or RCH Appeal?) have decided on shortening it. I wonder why? It’s already clouded by the AFL match now.

Perhaps they can have more talent rotate during prime-time now, that usually would’ve only been seen earlier in the day? Doesn’t the Sunrise team do the first prime-time hosting gig?

I think no morning session on TV is a cost-saving measure. (I am sure Neil Mitchell will again host his 3AW morning show from the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre for the appeal)
On the other hand, having live crosses during The Morning Show will give the Good Friday Appeal some national exposure.

2 Likes

Is legendary Gordon Bennett still in charge or handle a lot of Seven’s RCH Good Friday Appeal coverage? Was still in recent years, I swear I saw Nick McCallum interviewing him not long ago, though he was looking really old.

(And formerly the network’s GM of Network Sport before Col Southey)

For me, it depends on how much coverage the appeal will get during The Morning Show. If it’s substantial, the national exposure will (IMO) outweigh the negatives of the appeal broadcast being further reduced. However, it’ll be disappointing if all TMS will do is just ‘token’ crosses - the reduction would be like if Seven ever decided to stop airing the Perth Telethon overnight

3 Likes

Yep. It would be shorted due to cost cutting. Can’t see any other reasoning.

2 Likes

The program description for The Morning Show in the Melbourne program guide reads

Kylie Gillies brings the latest news including live crosses to Larry Emdur at the Royal Children’s Hospital for Seven’s Good Friday Appeal.

5 Likes

It does seem a shame if it’s been shortened again this year. Hopefully the Morning Show provides adequate coverage.

3 Likes

Oh ok at least Larry is at the hospital for the live crosses.

1 Like

I think not having a 9am - 12am telecast is a bad decision by Seven

3 Likes

To be fair there’s probably not a lot watching at that time anyway

1 Like

Tonight’s Better Homes and Gardens has a feature on the charity house which will be auctioned next Friday at 2pm AEST. Another way for the appeal to gain national exposure.

1 Like

Once again 3AW will broadcast live from the Good Friday Appeal. This Friday Neil Mitchell will host his morning show from Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre. Then at around 7.30pm AEST, after the AFL match between North Melbourne and Essendon, Phillip Brady and Simon Owens will host Nightline from the Appeal, with guest hosts Jane Holmes and Sunday Herald Sun’s Fiona Byrne.

Thursday -
Preview of preparations for the Appeal.

Instead of Seven broadcasting the morning session of the Appeal, the event itself will stream live on Facebook tomorrow (Friday) from 9am AEST. Also, Seven’s broadcast will finish at around 11.30pm AEST rather than midnight like the past years.

It’ll be interesting to see who has taken over Jennifer Keyte’s gig this year. It’s the first Good Friday Appeal without her.

My guess Jacqueline Felgate

1 Like

Actually it’s not. It’s older than she is.

2 Likes

Obviously! :roll_eyes:. I meant as in when she first started on the Appeal with her last being last year