Roseanne, Barred

So you’re comfortable with people publicly calling you an ape for your opinions? What about vilifying your religion? Is that alright?

5 Likes

I didn’t think it was on Tenplay to begin with? Was this the new season or original series?

1 Like

I don’t think the original series or the new season was on Tenplay ever. The statement Ten made I read that the whole series (including the new season) would be canned effective immediately. Shame the new episodes were quite good, but yeah Roseanne fucked herself in the head with these tweets of hers, especially the latest one. From what I read that it was more than one tweet, that they had issues with. This would have been the nail in the coffin.

Hopefully Ten at least plays out the unaired episodes (even in a 1am slot) once the controversy dies down.

3 Likes

I have phoned Network TEN a few mins ago and a woman from the counter told me that there won’t be any repeat episodes on tonight following the furore that happened today. I was very disgusted about what had happened during then.

This is a classic example of someone ignoring context. Calling someone an ape isn’t inherently a racial slur.

However, a person with a track record of racist comments calling a black woman an ape is deeply offensive when you consider that black people were compared to apes a lot, especially in the United States, as a means of suggesting they’re lesser humans than white people. This was a tool to justify slavery and then segregation. This was a core tenant of the KKK. There’s no way you can deny that the context here matters.

13 Likes

Almost as if you’ve undermined your own false equivalency there. Is it a bad thing that people are not free to be “abhorrent” and “repulsive” without repercussions? If racism is permissible, then what kind of behaviour is in your eyes worth cancelling a television program over?

In America this is a terribly offensive thing to say, what with the country’s history of slavery, the justification for which being that black people were sub-human.

1 Like

WOW YOU are wrong it hurts.

Go do some reading;

4 Likes

She says she’s “not racist, just an idiot who made a bad joke”. And despite initially saying she was leaving Twitter, she now says she won’t be ending her association with the social media tool which landed her in so much trouble.

In a series of tweets, Barr said she did something “unforgivable”, “egregious” and “indefensible”, admitted she “went too far”, and made multiple apologies.

She said her original comments were a result of “Ambien tweeting” — a reference to the sleeping pill.

2 Likes

Plagiarism or a case of great minds?

20 Likes

13 Likes

So who plagiarised who? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Topic made at 1:10pm, before The Daily Edition and Ten News. OnAir to sue for plagiarism?

8 Likes

This even spread towards Nine News.

The news even spreads to PerthNow.

I’m on it.

Not sure I get why it would be so stunning that Nine News or PerthNow would report on it?

5 Likes

What’s so strange?

Tom Arnold with a message for his favourite Australian TV network (responding to Peter Ford).

2 Likes

I want the mod guilty of plagiarism to be whipped naked in the square tonight, preferably by @Salty

4 Likes