Roseanne, Barred

She’s vile. I feel sorry for the people that lost their jobs because of her actions .

5 Likes

The show is being taken off air by some cable networks in the US.

1 Like

It will be interesting to see what action Ten takes, if any, with the new episodes airing on Sunday nights and then reruns of earlier seasons on ELEVEN given what has happened overnight.

I’d say they’ll just screen what they have paid for but won’t extend any contracts beyond that.

As per tenDaily:

1 Like

That is sad that Australian audiences will not be able to see the remaining episodes of the current season of Roseanne. Hopefully they will be shown on a later date.

2 Likes

Sure, if they source them by other means but I doubt the network will be replaying them at any point. I don’t think it’s sad at all, people will be annoyed by fact that ten delayed screening them so we weren’t up to date with the US but given her comments I think Ten have made the right call.

1 Like

It’s quite a pity. The reboot was excellent. Maybe needs to be viewed with a bit of distance from the current events to appreciate.

3 Likes

Surprised Ten has pulled the plug on it - one wonders if they would have in the pre-CBS days. Most Australians aren’t exactly going to care too much about some careless tweets and would just watch the remaining episodes for what they are.

They should have just left it in its slot but cut back the advertising for it.

1 Like

Disagree people will be disgusted by her racist tweet.
I loved this re-boot the writing was brilliant, it’s so sad that her actions has now tarnished the actual show.
I do think the floodgates will now be opened on her behaviour.

I don’t see why it would be any different. I doubt CBS is influencing such day to day decisions now. It’s Ten management that have made this decision. Why do we have to constantly refer to the owners in regards to management of Ten?

4 Likes

Hopefully this decision can be reversed, is one tweet worth cancelling a show over these days?

I feel for Sara Gilbert, John Goodman, Laurie Metcalfe, et al who will now be tarnished as a result through no fault of their own.

It wasn’t just one tweet though.

2 Likes

Yeah. Her twitter account has been demented for some time, this was next level though.

2 Likes

I find it bizarre how she could go from holding very left-wing views (even attempting to run to become the US Green Party’s Presidential candidate about 6 years ago) to becoming such an outspoken, racist Trump supporter. It is bizarre.

Taking the show off air permanently in light of that series of tweets is entirely appropriate. It’s a shame that Australian audiences won’t see it on terrestrial TV, but what she’s said is really beyond the pale.

1 Like

Flicking through her twitter and she’s gone complete conspiracy theory on George Soros too. Had to look him up but essentially a holocaust survivor being labelled a Nazi sympathiser and collaborator. These rwnj are going to destroy society.

1 Like

I wonder if it would have been axed by ABC if it was prior to the Harvey Weinstein and Me Too etc… Yes, completely different issues but the executives have now seen just how damaging bad behaviour can be and are now no longer tolerating it anywhere. Prior to all of this it probably would have been a couple of statements saying how bad the comments were and how they disagree and maybe a suspension.

I reckon it’s gone forever now, to be joined with such shows as Hey Dad and anything by Rolf Harris.

I have seen the new season and I have all the episodes, and it was a great return. But in that being said, Roseanne’s disgusting tweet (which I only found about after waking up 10 minutes ago) ABC, Network Ten have made the appropriate decision here. Her tweets on her tweet page were as Frankie said, are pretty much horrific with her conspiracy theories. She’s done. I’m happy that ABC US made the right decision, but sad for the cast and crew, especially Sara Gilbert who worked so hard to get this going again. I would say that no one will dare touch Roseanne on any network in the US. She’s done, I reckon.

1 Like

All episodes of the show have also been pulled from Hulu and the ABC catch up site. Latest episodes were there 12 hours ago.

Sad to see the show implode like this when it was being seen to embrace diversity with DJ’s mixed race marriage and a storyline involving muslim neighbours. I would love to have seen where the exploration of these issues through the lens of comedy could’ve been taken.

I would agree that people over react to stuff said on social media but feel the reaction to this is appropriate. Roseanne Barr would’ve known how inflammatory and offensive that comment would be. It makes me think she wanted out of the reboot and this was her way of pulling the pin. That or she was tanked up on liquor and opioids.

4 Likes