RFDS - Royal Flying Doctor Service

Anyone else watching tonight’s premiere?

I was planning to watch tonight’s premiere on TV, then realised half of it would clash against The Bachelor, so I am taping the episode and will watch it this weekend.

Early comments seems to be positive. This from Five Bedrooms co-creator Michael Lucas:

And from actress Lucy Durack:

Also, Meredith Staib, CEO of Royal Flying Doctors Queensland section, has been live tweeting during the episode with trivia related to the production and the real service, such as this one:

Very good Australian Drama.
Hopefully it gains a larger audience. I’m worried a younger audience might not take to it.

Would you say better than Between Two Worlds?

Hopefully it will do well because we sorely need some decent local dramas.

They did an interview on ABC North Tas this morning with the RFDS in Tasmania too about the show - was weird hearing advertising on the ABC including a “on Channel Seven” at the end!

I watched the show, I cringed when it got to the romance thing because I hate that sort of stuff in all the shows because they always take too much of the storyline but then it had the unexpected shock factor with the next stuff which I wasn’t expecting so I’ll give it another go and see if I stick with it.

That shit that came out last year?
I wouldn’t even compare.

2 Likes

It is a quality medical drama rather than a melodramatic soapie. Surprised they didn’t go for the unresolved sexual tension that most shows do and had the couple get together in the first episode. Also, strange to have quite a depressing end for a first episode of a new series.

1 Like

I’m loving it…though I’m a tad biased as I was born in Broken Hill…i’m getting a lot of flashbacks now.

That’s great to hear. Haven’t seen the full episode yet but will have a look another time.

Goes to show that our potential to produce good dramas still exist, just not used to their fullest potential.

Glad that there is good responses overall for the first episode tonight.

I haven’t watched it yet, but will do so hopefully soon.

Encore today at 2pm.

Just saw the first episode this afternoon and I liked it.

1 Like

I have really liked the first two episodes and hope that it holds it audience from last week, and thanks to tonights episode I learnt that amniotic fluid is corrosive.

It’s a quality show but it is very depressing with the deaths from last week. Probably would have been better to have done this later in the season.

1 Like

The first episode was good, but for me it hasn’t really been able to maintain that

Yeah, I think it was a mistake the series to make it so dreary from the start. I seriously had trouble staying focused on last night’s episode.

I was thinking about how the original The Flying Doctors could mix drama and comedy well. When they did the “R.F.D.S.” spin-off in 1993, it was all about the drama and only lasted one season.

I haven’t watched episode 2 or 3 as yet… but are the charterers likeable?

I’d say yes and no. There are good actors in the cast and the characters have potential but the main depressing storyline has sucked the life out of all the characters.

1 Like

RFDS had its international premiere at online forum of Series Mania in Lille, France this week. It is one of six Australian shows represented at the trade event.