RFDS - Royal Flying Doctor Service

Acronym titles like RFDS are like something from 20 years ago.

Screen Australia

Seven Network drama series RFDS is nearing completion of principle photography in and around Broken Hill.

I’d like to see a non drama series based around the Pilots and RFDS crews inside.

Similar to what Channel 4 did in Indonesia with Worst Place to be a Pilot, which rated hugely and had enormous viewer engagement.

RFDS pilots face similar challenges and I think a series based around the operational crews would be quite a winner. Some of the stuff that these guys do flying around the place operationally is quite out of this world.

The first look at RFDS has landed

Aussie drama hits a new high

Based on remarkable real-life stories, RFDS portrays the modern-day heroes of the Royal Flying Doctor Service.

The gripping new Australian action-drama coming soon to Channel 7 and 7plus stars Logie Award-winning actor Stephen Peacocke ( Home and Away , Wanted), Logie Award-winning star of stage and screen Rob Collins (Mystery Road S2, Total Control , Glitch) and acclaimed actors Emma Hamilton (Mr Selfridge, The Tudors), Justine Clarke ( Tangle, Hungry Ghosts, The Time Of Our Lives ) and Ash Ricardo ( Offspring, Bite Club ).

Filmed on location in and around Broken Hill, RFDS captures the beauty and brutality of Australia’s vast centre where the doctors and the nurses, pilots and support staff of the RFDS negotiate the unique challenges of emergency rescues across some of the most inhospitable places in the country.

RFDS is also a story about community and people coming together to laugh, to cry and to triumph over adversity as the RFDS navigate private lives as turbulent and profound as the heart-stopping emergencies they attend.

Seven Network Executive Producer Julie McGauran said: “This compelling series, led by an incredible cast and team of creatives, is based on the real-life stories of the Royal Flying Doctor Service and highlights the extraordinary work they do, day in, day out.

RFDS showcases powerful contemporary Australian drama on an epic scale. We are thrilled to bring this rich and engaging series and its magnificent setting of outback Australia to audiences.”

RFDS is an Endemol Shine Banks production for the Seven Network, with major production investment from Seven in association with Screen Australia. It was financed with support from Screen NSW through the Made in NSW Fund and the Regional Filming Fund.

1 Like

Sad that they couldn’t come up with a better title than an acronym.

looks like some decent budget special effects. but yeah that title is cringe, ruins the whole trailer.

makes it feel like those ch9 dramas from the 200’s; Cops: LAC, Rescue: Special ops, Sea patrol ect.

Which were reboots of Police Rescue and Sea Patrol, just like RFDS is a reboot The Flying Doctors so it’s a case of not having any new ideas all around.

Promo looks average but I’ll give this show a go. Unfortunately I think it’ll go down the same path as Between Two Worlds in regards to ratings.

With Five Bedrooms streaming on Paramount+, Seven is using the opportunity to fill the Wednesday night Aussie drama void on FTA.

I completely agree that Seven should be producing Aussie dramas to fill these holes in the schedule, but I’m not sure RFDS cuts the mustard. Personally, I think a crime drama would rate better. Or even something similar to Mare of Easttown.

Their drama department is nowhere near as innovative as they were back in the good old days of All Saints, Blue Heelers, Packed to the Rafters, Always Greener, City Homicide etc.

4 Likes

Always Greener was axed prematurely IMO.

4 Likes

Loved Always Greener!

1 Like

I can see this selling well in UK, Germany, Netherlands, Scandinavia etc.
Medical drama in the outback has wide international appeal
Those sales would have factored into the comission

According to TV Blackbox, RFDS debuts on Wednesday, August 11 at 8.40pm.

No real surprise there with promos running of ‘Wednesday after the Olympics’.

###Epic new Australian drama takes flight

RFDS set to soar from 8.40pm Wednesday, 11 August

Based on remarkable real-life stories, the gripping new Australian drama RFDS lands after the Olympics at 8.40pm Wednesday, 11 August on Channel 7 and 7plus.

Filmed on location in and around Broken Hill, RFDS captures the beauty and brutality of Australia’s vast centre, where the doctors, nurses, pilots and support staff of the RFDS negotiate the unique challenges of emergency rescues across some of the most inhospitable places in the country.

RFDS stars Logie Award-winning actor Stephen Peacocke ( Home and Away , Wanted), Logie Award-winning star of stage and screen Rob Collins (Mystery Road S2, Total Control, Glitch) and acclaimed actors Emma Hamilton (Mr Selfridge, The Tudors), Justine Clarke ( Tangle, Hungry Ghosts, The Time Of Our Lives ) and Ash Ricardo ( Offspring, Bite Club ).

Determined to escape her past and start a new life, Dr Eliza Harrod (Emma Hamilton) arrives in outback Australia from the UK. Only days into her new role at the Royal Flying Doctor Service, Eliza finds herself at the forefront of a catastrophic emergency retrieval while Flight Nurse Pete Emerson (Stephen Peacocke) faces an unthinkable tragedy.

Justine Clarke (Base Manager Leonie Smith) said: “Audiences can expect beautiful scenery, deep and thoughtful storylines and a really, good honest look at how the RFDS does its vital work.”

On his role in RFDS , Stephen Peacocke (Pete Emerson) said: “It’s not lost on us that we are representing a really important organisation that means so much to Australia.”

Rob Collins (Dr Wayne Yates) added: “There’s a connection that the folks of the RFDS have with the people that they service which goes beyond doctor patient dynamics. They are a real part of the community.”

RFDS is an Endemol Shine Banks production for the Seven Network, with major production investment from Seven in association with Screen Australia. It was financed with support from Screen NSW through the Made in NSW Fund and the Regional Filming Fund.

TV Tonight gives the program four stars.

1 Like