Regional TV History (pre-aggregation)

What was the “clean satellite feed” of Seven? Was this the “internal” network feed to the other states/affilates, and originated at ATN? Interesting Joe Public could watch it - legally or otherwise - via satellite!

If I’m correct in this assumption, did Nine and Ten have something similar?

1 Like

The Victorian statewide ban on live Saturday afternoon VFL/AFL telecasts on free to air TV still exists today. That is one reason why Seven does not screen Saturday arvo games (they are screened live on FOX) in Victoria. Another reason for this is to protect the gates at suburban and country leagues’ games usually held on Saturday arvos.

2 Likes

It doesn’t exist today.

1 Like

Think you are partly correct, but no FTA network took up the rights for the Saturday afternoon game for the current rights contract as I believe that there is a stipulated requirement to delay telecast in VIC by 2 hours. In this era of sports betting advertising which relies on live telecasts, that would make it un-economic for any FTA broadcaster to screen it on delay, but still live to other states.

Correct, 7, 9 and 10 used to supply via satellite a clean network feed minus ads, branding, crawls and voice overs from ATN, TCN and TEN respectively from the mid 80s onwards. At some point around the very late 80s, they started to switch a dirty feed overnight on the satellite from around 2am/3am to 6am. This was much cheaper for network and affiliate stations to source than paying for Telecom landline bearers 24/7. As soon as these feeds started on satellite, the nationwide trend to network instead of stay local took hold and the rest is history. These network clean feeds no longer exist anywhere today, as the networks no longer produce or distribute them, let alone have playout centres outside Sydney that require them.
It was encoded in E-PAL with some kind of digital audio if I remember correctly which was easy to crack for those who knew how.

3 Likes

Here in Melbourne there was a big uproar when Channel 7 axed long-running local programs (like World of Sport, Day by Day and VFL matches) for more Sydney based programs. That was in 1987 around April/May.

1 Like

Correct. I recall BTQ7 taking a dirty feed overnight from early 1988 as did Skase owned SEQ8 - which boasted broadcasting 24 hours a day. I believe this was the first regional commercial station to broadcast 24 hours a day.

3 Likes

Think WIN4 or NBN3 was 24/7 before SEQ8? I could be wrong?

1 Like

Think that was more due to Fairfax taking over HSV at the time as Fairfax already owned ATN and BTQ. And ATN knew better apparently having had wanting their mits on HSV for many years and failed miserably when they did take over with a spectacular ratings point of * when they put their mark on the HSV 6pm News bulletin one night. Later selling out to Skase.

1 Like

NBN3 wasn’t on air 24/7 until aggregation (1 Jan 1992).

2 Likes

I stand corrected, no problem.

2 Likes

Behind the scenes look at TNT9 (Tas TV) Launceston circa 1987 (judging by the incoming feed of Greg Pearce reading Seven National News from Melbourne).

95 people employed there at the time. How many would be there (as Seven Tasmania) now?

YouTube: Restoration archive

p.s. the audio is quite low on this video and some of it is indecipherable but still an interesting video at how the station operated at the time

4 Likes

Lucky to be 20 people there now?

2 Likes

Correct. And for the first couple of years during the overnight hours they took a direct feed from TCN 9 in Sydney

4 Likes

Who Remembers The NBN Television Logo From 1977-1994?

2 Likes

The one in my avatar?
images-4

6 Likes

I didn’t realise the Launnie station had been Tas TV… I thought it was Southern Cross in Launnie, then TasTV/WIN in Hobart.

The more you know!

2 Likes

In 1985, both TNT-9 and TVT-6 were branded as Tas TV until 1989 when ENT Ltd. sold TNT-9 to Tricom Corporation and was renamed Southern Cross Network. TVT-6 continued to service the south as Tas TV until it was bought out by WIN in 1994.

2 Likes

Caption from original video posted on TNT9 60th Anniversary Facebook page:

We look back at TNT9 from this promotional video made in 1988 hosted by Garth Fountain-Smith as Tricom Broadcasting finalised the sale of TNT9 from ENT.

4 Likes

Yes

1 Like