Regional Radio Ratings

@TV-Expert
Yes a BBC R2 or slightly less “niche” Double J would score at least 5 times more listeners than Classic FM. Even in the metro areas I’m sure as there are community stations like MBS playing classical music already. I think ABC Classic FM is a hangover from another era and should be moved to digital and online only. ABC should trial a few regional markets with switching Classic FM to Double J or even ABC Country and check the response. But a full service BBC R2 format would go gangbusters in regional areas and even in metro areas in my opinion.

1 Like

I don’t think the Central Coast will be surveyed separately this year?

Whilst they’re not actually listed, the Central Coast is part of the Sydney survey, done by GFK.

Have a look here at the maps & area statistics (pop.%, area%, number of interviewing areas). GFK Survey area maps

The survey details of listeners in the Central Coast will be available to NOVA Entertainment, SCAustereo, & anyone else who subscribes to the results, so they’ll know where they sit in the market, & where they sit with the Sydney market.

The stations & networks get much more data & information, than what’s publicly released.

1 Like

And if I’m not mistaken, the NSW Central Coast is also considered a part of the Sydney TV licence area by ratings provider OzTam - that’s despite the Central Coast having access to both Sydney metropolitan and localised versions of the Northern NSW channels.

Not counting fortuitous reception (which I think the Sydney/Newcastle radio reception on the Central Coast would be considered as) and DXing, how far North does the “official” Sydney radio licence area actually go?

Well I think that’s common knowledge.

The “official” Sydney Radio licence area, goes to the Southern shore of the Hawkesbury River. The river itself is in no mans land, & the Gosford Radio Licence area starts on the Northern shore of the Hawkesbury River.

The ratings survey area for Sydney, encompasses the entire Gosford radio licence area, up to where it meets the Newcastle Radio licence area at the North end of the Coast.

1 Like

The link below should give you the map of the licence area of the Sydney metro radio stations

http://acma.gov.au/licplan/defmaps/documents/maps/la_542.pdf

1 Like

Radioinfo is giving us the head ups that Mt Gambier will be the next regional market to have its radio ratings released on Tuesday 26th April.

This particular market has 1 FM & 1 AM station owned by SCA, with no local commercial competition.

The Mt Gambier results are out now: http://www.radioitsalovething.com.au/RIALT/media/RIALT/PDF/MT-GAMBIER-XTRA-RESEARCH-PUBLIC-SURVEY-RESULT-WITH-CUME.pdf

96.1 Star FM is the #1 station with a 37.5% share, with 2nd place going to ABC South East SA with a 20% share, pushing Classic Hits 5SE to 3rd place with a 17.5% share. Triple J managed to score double digit figures with a 10.1% share, placing themselves 4th in the market.
In the demographics, Star is #1 in the under-55s, with 5SE #1 in 55-64s & ABC South East SA #1 in 65+. Star is #1 from breakfast through to drive, whilst ABC South East SA tops evenings, with “Greatest Years In Music” on 5SE outrating Star.

Mt Gambier is the only regional market in SA where SCA owns radio stations.

I suppose it’s easy to be #1 and #2 when there is no #3?

3 Likes

No surprises to see Star FM take out first place, but surprised to see ABC South East SA take second place over 963 5SE. It makes me think had 5SE kept the Greatest Hits format instead of switching to the classic hits format, 5SE would have taken out second spot. Lots of people I know haven’t listened to 5SE since the station switched to Classic Hits in late January. 5SE plays to much old music for most people liking these days, it really lacks the music variety it had when it was a Greatest Hits station.

And I don’t think I’ve seen a 10-17 yr age group audience share like that before!

90% for Star!

Would be great if SCA knew how to spell the names of their markets. Shows a real interest (not).

1 Like

No surprise the local ABC has beaten 5SE. What is local and compelling the audience to listen to 5SE?

The news is done from Bendigo or Albury - no local journo.

ABC have local journos within the market who try very hard to find local, unbiased news. See the many Mediawatch gotchas for Mt Gambier commercial news media.

Again, local ABC would do well at night due to Peter Goers being an SA success story for years.

Last I heard it was Mildura.
I assume they run on the usual SCA formula of “local” (in this case from Mildura) news during breakfast and at 12pm, and the remainder of bulletins being national and coming from the Gold Coast.

That’s correct the local news is done from Mildura during breakfast and at 12pm on both 5SE & Star FM. The last time the local news was read out of Mt Gambier was back in 2005.

1 Like

I never understood why they have the random midday local news and the rest from the Gold Coast

Traditionally the midday news is the biggest bulletin of the day, so networks tend to put together a bigger report. The SCA midday report contains a significant number of local stories, usually in more detail than in given/available first thing in the morning, plus it still fits within the working hours of the morning journalist.

Makes sense. Thanks for the reply :smiley:

While taking the official #2 spot, they are only holding it with Breakfast & Nights…no other daypart is holding the numbers given the amount of networking they also do across the state.

Networking begins at 12PM Weekdays from the Townsville Hub for the Classic Hits feed from what I have observed.

Not for a few years now, yes it’s not from Mount Gambier but it’s a little bit better than it used to be.

It’s pretty bad when the head offices can’t manage to spell town names…but then again it’s disconnected at the top with every large company. They all look at the dollars on paper.

Prepare for future survey releases from over in the West and NSW…I hear there is a couple of markets currently in survey.