Regional Radio Ratings

I’m surprised at how poorly Triple M does there, compared to other solus regional markets.

Is Triple M on AM there?

Yes, on 783AM, although it’s set to be converting to FM in 2019 as part of ACMA’s AM-FM conversion program for regional commercial AM stations in solus markets.

1 Like

Kalgoorlie has released their ratings: http://radioitsalovething.com.au/RIALT/media/RIALT/PDF/KALGOORLIE-XTRA-INSIGHTS-PUBLIC-SURVEY-RESULT.PDF

Both Hit (formerly Hot FM) & Triple M (formerly Radiowest) rose from last year, with Hit at 35.8% (up 2.7%) & Triple M at 30.8% (up 4.8%). At a distant 3rd place was ABC Goldfields with 12.3% (down 2.1%), followed by JJJ with 10.2% (down 2.5%).
Triple M does much better in Kalgoorlie than in Albany, despite having the same ‘classic hits’ format, as well as both being on the AM band.

The next surveys will be released in Maryborough & the Sunshine Coast.

3 Likes

The ratings for the Maryborough market has been released: http://www.radioitsalovething.com.au/RIALT/media/RIALT/PDF/MARYBOROUGH-XTRA-INSIGHTS-PUBLIC-SURVEY-RESULT.PDF

Triple M (formerly 103.5 Mix FM) has taken over Hit 101.9 (formerly Sea FM) for the top spot, scoring a 30.5% share, which is up 6.7% from last year. Hit fell 4.7% to land at 30.1%. Further down the list, ABC Wide Bay scored a 14.6% share, whilst JJJ only manages a 3.8% share. In the demos, Hit is #1 in the under-40s, Triple M tops the 40-64s & ABC Wide Bay leads in the 65+. In mornings (9am-12pm), Ray Hadley on Triple M scores a 37.4% share.

The “Other Stations” score a 17.5% share, compare to 16.1% last year. Most of the “Other” share would be towards Zinc 96.1 from Gympie.

3 Likes

Yes most of the overspill would be Zinc which comes through quite strongly in Maryborough and even Hervey Bay. Rebel Wide Bay would also be a contender. The community stations aren’t very impressive in that area IMHO.

This is a market in need of a proper 3rd commercial service. It’s a disgrace that ACMA allows the TAB to waste a commercial licence in that region and provide zero local content.

The market is actually bigger than nearby Bundaberg which has 3 proper commercial services and the TAB on narrowcast where it belongs.

1 Like

Imagine living with only two SCA stations as your commercial radio choice.

Imagine Sydney with only 2DayFM and Triple M - the city’s two lowest rating commercial FM stations.

I would move.

1 Like

At least unlike in Wollongong, where there’s only 2 commercial radio stations (with neither of them owned by SCA) but with practically the same music format (due to them competing with each other), both stations have a distinct music format from one another. Triple M in Maryborough/Hervey Bay is one of their few regional stations that have a ‘classic hits’ format instead of the ‘greatest hits’ format, at least when they’re not airing talkback or sport.

According to this link, after it’s the Sunshine Coast’s turn, the next markets to have their ratings released will be Gosford (Central Coast) & Darwin. Both the Sunshine Coast & Central Coast ratings will be interesting to see, especially the latter. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It really sounds like a survey on the Central Coast is imminent with the level of promotions the stations are running!

2GO are giving away tickets to Train, Star is giving away $20,000 with the Katy Perry Superstar Secret and Sea are doing tickets to The Weekend live in Sydney

1 Like

I was in Hervey Bay at the weekend and found between Zinc, Rebel and Triple M I was happy with the music choice. Probably one of the few markets that has only one CHR/Top 40 station.

3 Likes

I’m surprised that ABC Wide Bay didn’t do better, given Hervey Bay / Maryborough has an elderly skewed population (I’ve heard it referred to as “God’s waiting room”.)

I will have to watch NBN Central Coast to see what ads they are running on TV there.

1 Like

Yes they’re lucky they have Zinc and Rebel overspill. How was the reception? I’ve generally found it ok in the car but impossible on a home radio. Sometimes Hitz 93.9 from Bundaberg is receivable in the car in Hervey Bay, but not Maryborough.

1 Like

Well I can only say this because I’m originally from there :slight_smile: but I’d say the population is more “Ray Hadley” than ABC in general. And I’ve also heard Hervey Bay termed “poor man’s Noosa”… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Reception of Zinc was a bit patchy in parts of Scarness and around Hunter Rd Woolworths but otherwise fine. Stable reception from Roys Rd all the way to Hervey Bay in the car with full RDS.

Managed to get Rebel and Triple M Fraser Coast quite clearly from Gympie and north.

2 Likes

I was up in Maryborough today and Zinc 96 comes through like a local station in the car. I kept forgetting I was on Zinc rather than Triple M with the only clue being the Gympie ads. Good music too, still very classic rock focused. Triple M had a football show on so no contest :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The Sunshine Coast ratings are out this morning, which has previously been surveyed in 2015: http://www.radioitsalovething.com.au/RIALT/media/RIALT/Images/SUNSHINE-COAST-XTRA-INSIGHTS-PUBLIC-SURVEY-RESULT_2.PDF

Mix FM maintained its #1 position with a 17.5% share, despite going down 1.6% from 2 years ago. Sea FM went down 2.1% to 13.1%, JJJ is 3rd at 11.1%, whilst Grant-owned Hot 91 went up 1.4% to 9.9%. ABC Sunshine Coast scores a 9% share, whilst ABC Brisbane went down quite significantly to a 5.1% share.
4MMM is the most popular Brisbane commercial station in the SC with a 2.2% share, followed by Nova with 1.7%, 4BC with 1.6% & 4KQ with 1.2%. Talking Lifestyle managed only a 0.1% share. Zinc 96 is not listed in the survey.
In the demographics, Sea FM is #1 in the under-40s (although JJJ is #1 in the 25-39s), Mix FM tops the 40-64s & ABC Sunshine Coast leads in the 65+. Hot 91 outrates Sea FM in the 40-54s by 0.3%.

The “Other Stations” account for 22.3% of the total audience surveyed, most of which would be towards local community station Sunshine FM, as well as towards Zinc & to a lesser extent, 4GY.

3 Likes

I’ll never understand why Zinc isn’t in the survey yet all the Brisbane stations are. What possible reason is there for that?

Meanwhile I’m shocked Talking Infomercials managed 0.1%

4 Likes

The music on Mix has changed significantly in the last 2 years. Not a lot of older music and the playlist is quite new and also safe. I’m glad the ratings reflect this.

Compared to 2015, perhaps as a result of the above, the non-listed “Other Stations” (which was at 15.2% back then) went up a whopping 7.1% in the overall ratings!! :open_mouth:
In the 40-54s, it’s at 21.8% compared to 13.4% two years ago, which is up 8.4%. In the 55-64s, it’s at 31.8% & in the 65+, it’s at 33.4%.

Perhaps plenty of older listeners who listened to Mix in 2015 are now listening to Zinc (who position themselves as a “Classic Hits” station) or Sunshine FM. If I’m up on the Sunshine Coast, I would tune to either Zinc or 4KQ rather than Mix.

1 Like