Regional Radio Ratings

Hilarious. What a waste of time (at least the publicly released info).

2 Likes

I wonder why - they are for Wollongong if I’m not mistaken

Probably to try to hide the fact that 60% of the market are listening to other stations, most of which would be Perth stations.

Not a bad result for Coast FM though with at least one third of the market at all times except 7pm-midnight, (it’s usual for music stations to go down and talk stations to up during that period anyway), but pretty horrid results for 6MM.

4 Likes

What a complete waste of time with the “other” figure over 60% and no Perth stations listed.

1 Like

Similar to the Geelong surveys.

1 Like

Mandurah managed close to 40% which is on par with the local share on the Central Coast or Gold Coast or the Gong.

Geelong commercials couldn’t muster 20% between them. Quite a difference.

If I was a Mandurah client, I’d be asking where the other 60% went, clearly shows a majority of the town listen to Perth radio than the local options. But it is a good share compared to the far more fragmented Perth choices.

West Coast Radio have always put more resources into Coast FM, at one stage, only breakfast was live on 6MM. They seem to understand that AM is not a popular medium in their area. West Coast Radio have applied for FM conversion. West Coast Radio have had good shareholders over the time and have had good links to technology through associated interests.

DAB+ signal is good in Mandurah too. More overlap intrusion.

Had 6MM performed above the Perth commercial shares, it’s likely they would’ve been included.

This is another ‘toy survey’.

2 Likes

No one who has commented is impressed with the survey:

http://radiotoday.com.au/news/whats-new/10531-survey-1-2017-mandurah-wa-results-are-in.html

1 Like

Esperance has their radio ratings released this morning: http://www.radioitsalovething.com.au/RIALT/media/RIALT/PDF/ESPERANCE-XTRA-INSIGHTS-PUBLIC-SURVEY-RESULT.PDF

Hit 102.3 is the #1 station, followed by 747AM Triple M & ABC Esperance, all of which were rating over 20% overall share. No demographic breakdowns are shown. In the timeslot breakdowns, evening ratings (7pm-12am) are not shown.

The inability to provide some of those figures makes you wonder just how small their sample size was.

The big surprise for me is ABC Great Southern, whose transmitters are a fair way outside the licence area.

6WA 558 Wagin and 6AL 630 Albany would have to be the most likely Great Southern stations heard there.

If you add up the three local ABC services listed in the Esperance survey, they trounce the SCA commercial stations. Local ABC is quite a misnomer, there’s about two hours of ‘local’ programming on in the weekdays only.

Correct - 2WS was listed in the Sydney surveys from its inception, it debuted in the Jan-Mar '79 report with a 10.3 share.

5 Likes

Dubbo has their ratings released this morning: http://www.radioitsalovething.com.au/RIALT/media/RIALT/PDF/DUBBO-XTRA-INSIGHTS-PUBLIC-SURVEY-RESULT.PDF

The market was previously surveyed around this time last year, so it’ll be interesting to see what the ratings of local stations have been up to since then.

Hit 93.5 (formerly Star FM) takes the #1 spot with a 24.9% share, toppling 2DU from the top spot, who fell sharply from 28.6% last year to 20.6% this year. Zoo FM went up 3% to 17.1%, whilst ABC Western Plains fell from 12.3% last year to 10.6% this year.

In the demographics, Hit is #1 in the under-40s, whilst Zoo outrates 2DU in the 40-54s. 2DU was #1 in the 40-54s in last year’s survey, but fell 11.8% to be beaten by both Zoo & Hit in this year’s survey. Nevertheless, 2DU is still #1 in the 55+.

The “Other Stations” ratings is at 18.2%, in which a fair number of them would listen to the local community station DC FM, and maybe even 2WEB from Bourke, as well as Triple M (formerly 2GZ) from Orange.

That result isn’t that surprising - I didn’t think that triple m orange would make it to dubbo

You can pick up Triple M in some parts of Dubbo but the reception is not the best. I know a few in Dubbo who listens to Triple M (2GZ FM). If the reception was better I would say the “Other Stations” percentage would be higher and Zoo and 2DU would be lower. I would say SCA would love to get hold of Zoo FM and turn it into a Triple M Station.

Another thing I’ve noticed about this year’s Dubbo ratings is the emergence of the local commercial FM rivalry between Hit & Zoo in the 25-39s. Last year, Star, as it was known then, had 45.5% of the demographic, whilst Zoo had only 17.6%. This year, Hit is down 10.7% to 34.8%, whilst Zoo went up 10.5% to 28.1%.

1 Like

One other thing about radio in Dubbo is they miss out on a good AC music station since 2DU is mainly a Talk-back station. If Zoo was a AC station (Triple M regional) I think 2DU would suffer big time. That is probably why BOG wont sell Zoo to keep the rivalry with Hit and keep 2DU where it is.

1 Like

I don’t think any radio operator would break up 2 stations to sell one of them to a competitor in the same market by choice.
Also because Bill doesn’t like selling his stations.

1 Like

You’d think not, but Caralis did it back in 2005 selling Heat (now Zinc) Noosa while keeping 4GY Gympie which also covers Noosa.

2 Likes

4GY doesn’t compete in the Nambour market so wasn’t going to be threatened much. If anything, that arrangement has resulted in 4GY being the only station with a Gympie focus.
That deal also got him 3 AM stations in NSW.