Regional Radio Ratings

Some notes:
*Will Zinc be included in the Sunny Coast survey?
*I didn’t think Mandurah had any non-community stations of their own…I’m guessing the result there will be almost identical to a typical Perth survey (Mix 94.5 at #1, etc)
*Interesting to note that after having a wait a few years for a survey, both Sale and Warragul (the two Gippsland markets) will be getting surveyed in consecutive years.

Has commercials Coast FM plus 6MM on AM

In fact, there are no community stations in Mandurah - only the two commercials

Oops. my apologies

Wasn’t there a survey in 2016? Seems so recent. Hot was in a state of flux, new additions to bfast, Mix and Sea powering along, winning by a long shot.

Zinc is a Gympie licence area station, not Sunshine Coast (Nambour RA1), no overlap stations are included.

Yet they seemingly include Brisbane stations, go figure.

Yeah I’ve never understood that either. If the Brisbane stations get to be in GC and SC ratings, yet River 949 not allowed in Brisbane ratings. Complete double standard crock.

While I agree with your statement, and that is how it has been done it (almost) all other regions, I think the Nambour and Gympie licence areas should be surveyed together.

They did this with the Warragul and Sale licences areas last year, given the overlap between them. Both areas were surveys individually, with results for both areas released at the same time, and including figures for the stations of both licence areas.
I think the overlap between Nambour and Gympie (both official and fortuitous) would make it worthwhile for a similar approach to be taken. I can’t see any of the commercial stations having a problem with it - it would allow EON to show that they rate higher than Zinc aswell (I assume), and it would allow Grant Broadcasters to actually get ratings for Zinc. I’m sure 4GY would be happy with it too - they let Toowoomba be rated which didn’t exactly deliver them a great result.

FYI, all the past surveys can be found online here: http://radioitsalovething.com.au/Surveys/Regional-Surveys.aspx

1 Like

Though it will be interesting to see if the Perth commercials are listed in the Mandurah survey (as happens with Sydney and Brisbane stations being listed in the surveys for neighbouring satellite regions).

I bet they will be. Interestingly Mandurah is actually included by the ABS population figure for metropolitan Perth, whereas GC is obviously not included in Brisbane metro population figures. Even though they’re the same distance from each other (70km)

It’s the same for the Central Coast of NSW, which is included by the ABS population figure for metropolitan Sydney. That being said though, the Sydney stations were not included in last year’s Central Coast ratings survey, but yet is included in the Wollongong ratings surveys, even though it’s not part of Sydney according to the ABS.

1 Like

It does seem a bit random doesn’t it. Seems very unfair to include metro stations in surrounding surveys, but not allow surrounding stations in metro surveys.

1 Like

I guess the assumption is that those in Wollongong are much more likely to listen to Sydney stations than the other way around # etc (# Media Spiers excluded)

1 Like

However in SEQ where River’s licence area has a 72% population overlap with Brisbane it should be included IMO.

3 Likes

2WS/WSFM has always been in the Sydney ratings since it started, in 1978 iirc.

2 Likes

…and since the station converted to FM, I’m pretty sure that 2WS/WSFM has officially been a Sydney station (albeit, there are still the 88.3 and 99.1 Western suburbs translators) transmitting from Artarmon.

Pretty much. The Digital Radio legislation states that Western Sydney = Sydney. ACMA should just merge the two licence areas.

1 Like

Absolutely agree. I believe 4IP used to be in Brisbane ratings long before they “moved” to Brisbane from Ipswich.

1 Like

Perhaps they would rather not? I’m sure Bill would like to save the cash on GY too.

Zinc’s product is not the standard it was at launch. Nugget and Al do a competent job at bfast but not in the same league as Mark & Caro.

The Mandurah radio ratings has been released this morning: http://www.radioitsalovething.com.au/RIALT/media/RIALT/PDF/MANDURAH-XTRA-INSIGHTS-PUBLIC-SURVEY-RESULT_1.PDF

Coast FM scored a 34% share, whilst sister station 6MM could only manage a 5.5% share. Coast is ahead of 6MM in the under-65s, whilst 6MM is ahead of Coast in the 65+.

No Perth stations, both commercial & ABC, were listed in the survey.