Regional Radio Ratings

Triple M is actually way ahead of ABC & 2AY in that demo by 9% & 9.8% respectively.

The “Other Stations” account for 13.8% of listeners surveyed, down from 15.5% two years ago. This may partially be due to the fact that 3NE is now owned by the same company that owns 2AY, even though the latter’s share fell.

2 Likes

Has there been more duplication of programming since the acquisition?

1 Like

Outside of Neil Mitchell & any programming from 6pm onwards, no.

2 Likes

This is odd…

Triple M is 20%+ plus for 10-17s and 25-39s, but only 11% in 18-24s.

2 Likes

This is recall research and all the weaknesses that go with it.

3 Likes

The first market to have its radio ratings released by Xtra for 2020 is Mt Isa: http://www.radioalive.com.au/RA/media/General/Radio%20Alive%20Conference/MOUNT-ISA-XTRA-INSIGHTS-PUBLIC-SURVEY-RESULT.pdf?ext=.pdf

Hit 102.5 is #1 with a 52.9% share, up 5.7% from 2017. This was followed by 4LM at a very distant 2nd with 11.3% (down 2.6%), JJJ with 10% (down 0.7%) & ABC North West QLD with 8.2% (down 5.6%).

On a sidenote, according to this post, the Wheatbelt & Esperance were scheduled to be released last month, but was probably cancelled. They did get the Mt Isa release date right though, as you can tell above.

However, with the Coronavirus happening, and considering what’s happening with future GfK surveys because of it, I wouldn’t be surprised if further Xtra surveys scheduled for this year will either be cancelled or postponed.

4 Likes

oh dear. i think ballarat was going to be due in may

2 Likes

Me either. Stations can pick up the general feel from tracking if numbers have taken a dive and will put the surveys on hold.

The regional surveys via Xtra are all phone polls, based on recall, no paper diaries or face to face visits, however knowing those who commission the research, any excuse will do.

Yes and Radio Ballarat has just made their programmer, Garrath Cockerell redundant. Probably got all the year’s planning out of him by April, bad situation.

3 Likes

i know 3ba and power are in a bad away . 3 ba has lost there programmer and there radio announcer . as far as i been listening there going to 9 news vic news for there news

1 Like

Huge result for Hit 102.5. Could this be a trend for some markets still conducting surveys? People might choose to switch to CHR formats for music and light entertainment away from Covid19 coverage.

2 Likes

52.9%!!

Thats the biggest overall share I’ve ever seen for a station in a regional survey.

3 Likes

Yes it’s huge. I guess Mt Isa is very isolated with no overspill at all, but even so a bad result for 4LM which has such heritage in that city and used to have a huge profile. Wonder what they’re doing wrong.

2 Likes

Since the last survey, Charters Towers has dropped the hit West Queensland stream so their breakfast show can focus 100% on Mount Isa. 4LM lost Jodie Sheppard from breakfast at the end of last year and haven’t yet found a replacement, so breakfast is being voice tracked from Longreach. Jodie was quite popular so her exit will have lost a few listeners, but having no dedicated breakfast announcer wouldn’t be helping. While hit’s breakfast announcer is based in Townsville, Mount Isa is a significant part of the job so they’re able to become familiar with the area and sound local.

The larger problem however (apart from being on AM) is that many years of owners who didn’t pay attention to the market and networked a hodge-podge of irrelevant content drove away many listeners who clearly haven’t been enticed back by Resonate.

3 Likes

www.4lm.com.au doesn’t even have a website. It just redirects to their Facebook page.

This is as bad as a Caralis station.

4 Likes

According to this article (dated 2017, from former 4LM owner Brad Smart), 4LM has become over reliant on Sydney-based talkback. Not sure if it is still the same situation today.

6 Likes

Correct @TelevisionAU, It’s pretty much the same today, swathes of 2GB talkback and MMM overnight. Same on weekends.

A vast departure from the Brandt family’s ownership during the Color Radio era. Queensland owned, a true training ground for industry entrants, local content, relevant content that connected with locals.

Now run on less than half the smell of an oily rag, a big shame. Dobson and Morris duos claim the drought is the reason they don’t invest further. No presence in town, no marketing or promotion.

5 Likes

do you we know when the Ballarat survey is due?

1 Like

@JasonF Nothing this year, CRA have given up on 2020.

4 Likes

https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/2021s-first-regional-survey-result-released-tomorrow

Regional radio surveys will resume in 2021 following a hiatus last year with the results for the Western Australian city of Geraldton to be the first to be released on March 9.

25 surveys are planned for the year with other major centres to be surveyed this year to include Hobart, Darwin, Townsville, Gosford, Sunshine Coast, Toowoomba and Shepparton.

4 Likes

Some regional WA markets like Geraldton are interesting because there is virtually NO overspill from adjacent markets, and in Geraldton’s case, I don’t think they have a community radio station at the moment either?

3 Likes