Regional Radio Ratings

Sale has their ratings released today, its first since 2016: http://www.radioalive.com.au/RA/media/General/Documents/Surveys%20for%20Regional/SALE-XTRA-INSIGHTS-PUBLIC-SURVEY-RESULT.pdf?ext=.pdf

TRFM remains at #1 with 32.4% (+1.1), followed by ABC Gippsland with 18.7% (+1.6) & Gold 1242 with 18% (+4.6). JJJ scored 6.8% (+0.3), whilst hit94.3 & 3GG from Warragul tied at 4.1% each, with the former having fallen 3.4% since 2016, whilst the latter rose 0.5%.

In the demos, TRFM is #1 in the under-55s, whilst Gold 1242 is #1 in the 55-64s & ABC Gippsland dominates in the 65+.

4 Likes

whens ballarats turn??

Gold 1242 has the biggest improvement.

Compared to the last survey in 2016 when they were briefly branded “Gippsland’s 1242”. They have returned to a more music dominated format rather than relaying 3AW all day (they still take Neil Mitchell and Sports Day though) and also the addition of the 98.3 FM repeater in Bairnsdale might have helped too.

1 Like

Odd for them to choose not to release Warragul results on the same day as they did back in 2016…

The programmer responsible in Traralgon is Ryan Kolcze/Khay.

He did all the work within the market, so it was strange to read Mat Cummins taking the glory solely, usually you thank all notables within a team.

Perhaps @luifromtheradio has a view on this?

There’s clearly a ratings announcement coming soon in Hobart. So many competitions…

2 Likes

Cummins was Group Content Director of network, and currently GM I believe.

1 Like

Mmmm, I think he must have had a rush of power to the head writing/approving that media release @luifromtheradio

To not acknowledge your market PD who has done the work for survey and the year in general is not a good look.

The message it sends to staff and prospective staff is why bother when the boss claims what should be a collective glory.

3 Likes

Can’t disagree with what you’re saying at all :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The Central Coast has their ratings released today: http://www.radioalive.com.au/RA/media/General/Documents/Surveys%20for%20Regional/GOSFORD-XTRA-INSIGHTS-PUBLIC-SURVEY-RESULT_1.pdf?ext=.pdf

Sea FM took back the #1 spot with 18% (+1.4), whilst Star 104.5 falls to 2nd place with 16.6% (-0.1), and 2GO went up 1.3% to 12.1%.

In the demos, Sea is #1 in the under-40s, whilst Star tops the 40-54s & 2GO is #1 in the 55+. Star fell 7.4% in the 55-64s, whilst Sea went up 6.4% to 9.3% to take up tied 2nd place with ABC Central Coast on that same demo.

In breakfast, Sea’s Gawndy & Ash is #1 with 18.6%, followed by Star’s Julie & Rabbit with 16.4%, and 2GO’s Mandy & Rob with 11.7%, who went up 2% from when it was Mandy & Akmal. In drive, Hughesy & Kate (currently Ed) on Sea is #1 with 21.3%, followed by Star’s Hayden Else with 17.8% & Kennedy Molloy on 2GO with 12.3% (+1.7).

The “Other Stations” account for 38.7% of listeners surveyed, which is down 1% from last year.

2 Likes

Star #1 40 - 54.

SCA have spent big for gaming the telephone recall survey of ‘station/shift’ listened to most. Recall is the key and this has been exploited.

Unreliable survey methodology and should adopt Gold Coast, Newcastle or Canberra methodologies which are still unreliable but better than this.

Used be done that way when AC Nielsen was the provider.

So the previous win was secured on big numbers in demos beyond its target, useless for sales teams.

3 Likes

And is also #1 in the 25-54s (when adding the 25-39 & 40-54 figures together, then divide it by 2).

Other stations in 65+ is 69.9%, 45-64 is 41.1%. I suspect that 2GB is possibly number 1 or close to it in 65+.

With a stronger breakfast show then what they had last year and astronger log for the region to what they had when they sacked Sarah and Paddy it no surprise that they had a stronger survey at GO. It’s still a long way from where it should be but a weak national drive show and networking during the night won’t be helping, nor would the lack of local content now on the weekend.

3 Likes

Today, we head to the other side of Sydney, to Wollongong: http://www.radioalive.com.au/RA/media/General/Documents/Surveys%20for%20Regional/WOLLONGONG-XTRA-INSIGHTS-PUBLIC-SURVEY-RESULT.pdf?ext=.pdf

i98FM remains at #1, albeit with a reduced audience share of 26.5% (-2.6), with Wave FM going up 2.1% to 18.3%. This closes the 2-station gap from 12.9% last year to 8.2% this year, its lowest since 2014. ABC Illawarra is 3rd with 14%, followed by JJJ with 11.4%.

Of the Sydney stations, 2GB is #1 with 3.8%, followed by 2MMM with 2.8%, KIIS with 2.7% & Smooth with 2.3%. The Edge outrates 2Day with 1.2% compared to the latter’s 0.4%.

In the demos, i98 wins in the under-55s, whilst Wave tops the 55-64s & ABC Illawarra dominates the 65+. The 40-54 ratings for the two narrows, with i98 rating 25.8% (-9.1) to Wave’s 21% (+0.8). In the 55-64s, Wave FM scores a 25.4% share (+4.2), whilst i98 went up 7.9% to 19.4% (ABC Illawarra was 2nd with 23.1%). And in the 65+, Wave FM scored a 9.3% share (-0.9), whilst i98 went up 0.4% to 7.6%.

In breakfast, i98’s Marty, Christie & Crammy remains at #1 with 26.4% (-3.5), followed by Wave’s Jade, Staney & Trav went up 2% to 17.5%, and ABC Illawarra’s Melinda James with 14.6% (-0.6).

In short, Wave FM is the big winner this survey, even though they’re still a long way away from toppling i98FM for the #1 spot.

6 Likes

Yes, though the gap has narrowed significantly. Great to see Wollongong radio looking a bit more competitive again. Hopefully the trend continues.

My point. :slight_smile:

I agree. It would almost be like the 2002-09 period, when i98FM & Wave FM rated close to each other, even though they targeted different audiences.

Grant’s FM stations up & down the East Coast seemed to be doing well this year, such as in Cairns (Star 102.7), Mackay (Star 101.9), the Sunshine Coast (Hot 91) & the Gold Coast (Hot Tomato). Now, we can add Wollongong (Wave FM) to the list as well. :wink:

3 Likes

At least Xtra saved Macquarie Sports Radio the humiliation of an asterisk.

They simply gave them a 0.0

1 Like

Another thing worth noting in this year’s Wollongong ratings.

i98FM fell in every demo group under 55, but rose in the 55-64s & 65+! :open_mouth:

Meanwhile, Wave FM rose in every demo group, except for the 65+, and claims the #1 spot in the 40+, which i98FM won it last year, according to its ratings spin below.

Source: Radioinfo

2 Likes

The problem still remains, both station sound too similar. I would love to see a music crossover report between both stations.
i98’s music can be all over the place at time’s going from Pnau or Miley, to AC/DC or Chisel. Wave’s playlist is not quite as extreme, they do play more AC then i98.

If Power fm had a better signal into Wollongong and was more Wollongong centric they could be a very good alternative to i98 / Wave.

How does the Edge get into Wollongong?? I would have thought it would be very weak with the escarpment in its path.

Another good showing for Triple J, they are doing well in the major regional’s of Wollongong, Newcastle and Canberra where the markets is quite boring.

3 Likes