Regional Radio (non-SCA)

Hopefully with some better hostin too. The current websites take ages to load because they’re hosted in house - from what I can tell they’re using an old computer that can barely run Wordpress and the ADSL connection in Wangaratta.

2 Likes

Very true mate, I swear it has been the same playlist for the past 4 year, 24/7. The only thing that they change is the newer music and they will repeat that new song every 2 to 3 hours. The other day between midday to 5PM I heard Touch by Little Mix 4 times between those hours. Its just very lazy programing.

It need to change in a big way to get their listeners and customers back, if they don’t I think they will be in trouble.

I heard that they are going to start steaming again in June or July.

3 Likes

theinsider, do you know if they have found an new Content Director?

Edge has heaps of potential. Hope they get it right

3 Likes

Me too mate

Possibly way off topic and in the wrong section but I think Melbourne is desperate for a station similar to Hot Tomatoe or Edge. I’m mid 40’s and craving for a “real music variety” type station 80’s, 90’s to now. Love the old stuff but also love the current hits. I find myself flicking between Triple M, Smooth and the 3 hits stations (Nova, Kiss & Fox). Go on holidays to the Gold Coast and hear stations like hot tomatoe and love it plus love the local and live feel. Can only hope for change!!

2 Likes

We’ve got one - Gold 104.3

Gold never play any new music. I get sick of hearing old music all the time. I think 96fm in Perth play new and old. Melbourne and Sydney radio landscape is to tight.

2 Likes

I am 42 and love the SCA Greatest Hits from the 80’s to now format. I am a fan of the old mixed with the new stuff, but not a big fan of some of the top 40 teeny pop stuff that Hit flogs to death.

If Edge had a “Real Music Variety from the 80’s, 90’s and Now” format with less of the top 40 teeny pop stuff and more of the top rock, pop rock and alternative new songs and have a “No Repeat Workday” I think they would be on a winner. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I personally hate the ‘variety’ stations. I like all music but I find most variety stations are bland, boring, safe and repetitive. I like the specific format of stations and don’t mind flicking around. NZ Radio does this and all their stations sound 200% better.

3 Likes

I actually prefer the regional triple M music to Melbourne Triple M, they add more variety with a bit of pop music instead of just rock all the time. Last time I heard Edge I liked it, but in saying that I don’t hear it day in, day out.

Maybe DMG should try a variet format with Nova. They are on a winner with Smooth, Fox, Kisss and Nova all competing for the same market, crazy.

No Hemi, I have not heard anything. I see what I can find out.

1 Like

I think they need to do something similar to 96FM in Perth or B Rock in Bathurst to have a point of difference to the SCA stations. Let Hit FM play their Top 40 pop hits, Triple M play their Classic Hits, have a smooth type of format with talkback on 2QN/3NE and Rock Variety Edge FM. I don’t totally disagree with you about the 80’s to now format but what NRN11 said, I think some of the 80’s to Now format is a bit bland. If they went down that path, I think they need to add 70’s classic rock songs to that format and have a big playlist and some decent programs to keep people interested. In most country areas a lot of people are listening to the radio for 8 hours + straight.

2 Likes

This is exactly what they need to do :thumbsup:

2 Likes

Ideally switch NE & QN to FM, adopt a Smooth & talkback format instead of Classic Gold. Edges to Music that Rocks, Some 80’s, some 90’s and new. Also stick with music based drive show with an entertaining announcer. I thing everybody is over “try to be funny drive shows”. I know i am.

4 Likes

According to ACMA’s current proposal for commercial AM stations converting to FM in regional solus markets, 3NE is eligible for the conversion.

More here: http://www.acma.gov.au/Industry/Broadcast/Spectrum-for-broadcasting/Licence-area-plans/am-fm-conversions-and-infill-transmitters-for-commercial-radio-broadcasters

Hot Tomato is currently simulcasting the One Love Manchester concert replay that is also airing on Nine. Complete with Nine advertisement breaks as well it sounds like.

1 Like

don’t forget there is SCA’s OMG on DAB+!
Gold 104.3’s cut off is 10 years ie. they play hits released up until 2007. I hear many early 2000s songs on Gold.

Don’t think OMG play anything new? Chemist WH not bad variety

Here is 3NE new web page http://www.3ne.com.au/ :slight_smile: Looks like the web pages for 2QN and the Edge stations are not up yet.

2 Likes