Regional Radio (non-SCA)

Because it’s actually 90.9, and it does get through the whole metro area pretty well. I’ve noticed that error in a few radio lists.

1 Like

Thanks, though I thought that 90.9 was for Maitland and that 98.9 for Minlaton was to be in addition to that.

1 Like

There are two sites as listed:

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2018C00092

Nominal location : SA Water Site Lot 5 Minlaton-Stansbury Rd RAMSAY (Elevation: 116m )

Frequency Band & Mode : VHF-FM
Carrier Frequency : 98.9 MHz
Polarisation : Mixed
Maximum antenna height : 25 m

Output Radiation Pattern :-

Bearing or Sector (Clockwise direction)|Maximum ERP
0°T - 30°T 1.6 kW

30°T - 60°T 3 kW

60°T - 100°T 5 kW

100°T - 260°T 10 kW

260°T - 300°T 5 kW

300°T - 330°T 3 kW

330°T - 360°T 1.6 kW
https://web.acma.gov.au/rrl/assignment_search.lookup?pEFL_ID=1597703

Nominal location : Tank Site 5.5 km east MAITLAND (Elevation: 227M)
Carrier Frequency : 90.9 MHz
Polarisation : Mixed
Maximum antenna height : 25 m

Output Radiation Pattern :-
Bearing or Sector (Clockwise direction)
Maximum ERP

0°T - 30°T 500 W

30°T - 50°T 1 kW

50°T - 80°T 2 kW

80°T - 260°T 4 kW

260°T - 290°T 2 kW

290°T - 320°T 1 kW

320°T - 360°T 500 W
https://web.acma.gov.au/rrl/assignment_search.lookup?pEFL_ID=1601351

If the Ramsay site (98.9 Minlaton) was on air at spec, it would have an ERP of 5 - 10kW from north to south respectively across Adelaide. The 10kW ERP would also provide great coverage of the ‘foot’ the Yorke Peninsula.

What’s your thoughts @Weeman88 ?

1 Like

Interesting to read that @crankymedia - I had thought there was only either meant to be one or the other as some places list 98.9 but not 90.9 and vice versa.

On a related note, other Flow FM transmitters still not on the air from my home state that I am aware of include 88.7 in Hawker (been on the ACMA database for nearly 10 years now!) and 101.3 which is listed as Wilmington but is actually closer to Carrieton just east of the Flinders (about 40km east of Quorn). The 101.3 one is interesting as it’s a relatively new listing which Spencer Gulf Broadcasters (5AU and 5CS) had a big speel about a few years ago (when it was proposed) about encroaching onto their license area which includes Quorn and Wilmington. Reading through their submission was the first I’d seen that they plan on converting 5AU and 5CS to FM, with a 5AU repeater in Quorn.

As a result the proposed power for Flow FM is minimal towards the west as to not encroach onto the Spencer Gulf North license area, but I have no idea when it’ll actually come on the air. Flow FM’s website doesn’t seem to show the transmitters or coverage maps anymore which also showed indicative launch dates.

Apologies for the long post but some of you might find the above interesting as a perspective on my original home area.

3 Likes

Thanks, yes I didn’t hear anything on 88.7 or 101.3 when I was up at Menglers Hill Lookout in the Barossa last week.

I can confirm that John Laws is indeed now heard on 2BS. For the first time since 2011, it now provides a point-of-difference to 2LT & Triple M Central West, who both continue to carry Ray Hadley.

2 Likes

Looks like Caralis has taken over Bathurst Broadcasters. Also the 2BS stream isn’t working.

Yes apparently it’s been sold over the weekend. A mate of mine at Bathurst has confirmed John Laws is on so its likely it’s Carallis, or an independent that has decided to take the JL morning show

1 Like

Great news!

That’s great news and is a blocking manoeuvre to 2GZ/Triple M Orange.

Of course, the Orange Caralis licence, the former AM site of 2GZ, now known as 2EL is cleverly positioned at the Bathurst end of the Orange licence area in Forest Reefs, just over the railway line from Millthorpe - a town worth a visit if on hols, great cellar door there too - Angullong Wines.

To not have SCA buy Bathurst Broadcasters is a great thing.

For Hadley to no longer have 2BS in his ‘glory list’, the icing on the cake.

2 Likes

I guess that means other SRN personalities like Brent Bultitude and Graeme Gilbert will be heard on 2BS from today?

And that B-Rock will keep it’s name and take plenty of the NEW FM hub programming too?

Less chance of 2BS going stereo now too, particularly compared to if SCA had bought it.

Same with RDS for both stations.

1 Like

2SM’s feed for John Laws is Stereo. But I doubt it would be in stereo on 2BS.

Can anyone with access to 2BS confirm whether they’re taking Chris Smith or Brent Bultitude this afternoon?

If it’s an ownership change, then geez this one happened quite quickly!

1 Like

I’ve just checked & 2BS is still carrying Chris Smith.

2 Likes

Radioinfo has confirmed that 2BS/B-Rock has been sold to Broadcast Operations Group.

More: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/end-era-2bs-and-b-rock-sold-caralis

1 Like

The Camplins also own 50% of RSN Ballarat 1314 AM, with Kevin Blyton owning the other half. I wonder if Caralis has also bought this station?

1 Like

We can either ring the office or await the control register to update.

Can’t see Capital selling their 50% here

1 Like

Baffling waste of a license - surely they can wrangle an HPON for RSN and put a proper station in the market?

3 Likes

Nothing baffling about it.

Janet, Ron, Kev and all their families know each other. They came to each other’s aid to prevent real competition in Ballarat despite Janet’s duo having the FM advantage.

What surprises me is that they haven’t done it in more markets between themselves.

Contact Stephanie to find out what her and Ron will do with the JV - she wears the pants.

Exactly, RSN are a reliable leasee.

1 Like

What a bullshit reason, that’s tantamount to collusion

1 Like