Regional Radio (non-SCA)

From the ‘Broadcasting Services (Regional Commercial Radio — Material of Local Significance) Licence Condition 2012’

(1) For subsection 43(1) of the Broadcasting Services Act 1992:
a) the purpose of this Instrument is to impose conditions on a regional commercial radio broadcasting licence; and
b) those conditions create obligations on the person who holds the licence.

(2) This Instrument does not apply to a regional commercial radio broadcasting licence that is:
a) a remote area service radio licence;
b) a regional racing service radio licence; or
c) a licence allocated under subsection 40(1) of the Broadcasting Services Act 1992.

I recall reading here that it was argued that those services were/are operated at a loss, and thus can be considered a narrow interest service. While others may know better than I (and I suspect they will), that would justify LPON/HPON horse racing repeaters, as well as the odd blocks of coverage on some community radio stations.

The same applies to 3SR Shepparton and 3BT Ballarat, which simulcast RSN 927 Melbourne (the old 3UZ)

4 Likes

I do think that stations like 3BT, 3SP and 4FC should be moved to a HPON AM frequency, and these frequencies be sold to someone that can run it as a proper commercial radio service that complies with the local content/news provisions.

4 Likes

Could certainly see 3SR going to ACE and BT to Grants, perhaps 4FC too?

edit: forgot about Grants owning the two Ballarat licenses - could be an ACE pick up

2 Likes

What is interesting to @Brianc68’s question is that this section was required to be amended as originally, such stations were in technical breach.

4TAB addressed this by including Fraser Coast content in their breakfast show, tourism items and the like. I’m no racing fan, so I’ve never listened beyond, it may have been woven through commercial blocks prior to 8pm weekdays too. @4TAB-1008kHz, is that your recollection?

Snow and I guess adverse weather including black ice across Orange, Bathurst and Lithgow markets.

How did the six commercial stations cover it?

Any updates or the best of networked dross from Sydney, the Gold Coast and elsewhere?

Ranting Ray bellowing bulletins into his talk show across all three markets?

God forbid, any dropping of networking and local announcers on outside their usual small windows?

How was the weather in Katoomba RA1? Edge missed local programming regulations again?

1 Like

Well, Lithgow RA1 has only 4 media voices within the licence area, with SCA owning a TV licence within the licence area. If SCA were to buy 2LT/Move FM, it would be below the required minimum number of voices (4) for a regional radio licence area.

That being said, it’s a wonder why other companies such as Grant, Caralis & Capital were not being considered to buy 2LT/Move FM from the receivers a number of years ago.

3 Likes

By chance, flicked to AM, ‘dial’ on AM 1143.

Can confirm 4HI & therefore the Resonate network must still be tied to their MRN post sale conditions.

Steve Price and the irrelevant 2GB content still being force fed onto the country Qld audience.

How much longer is this rubbish going to go on for?

Compare the content, 2GB Sydney centric, KO FM’s regional Aus night talk program or simply music out of the station’s computer - but more likely from a remote location closer to Brisbane. You’d think the latter two would be better?

Terrible choice for audience and clients.

3 Likes

Back in the day, the QLD network ran a different ad block to 1008 via the satellite which had essentially Maryborough specific content (which went state wide).
Eventually the department amended the act. I can’t recall the reasoning/justification used.
We are “allowed” to broadcast zero local content because the act says that we’re not obliged to do so, unlike 2LT.

1 Like

Thanks, great to hear from you @4TAB-1008kHz. It’s coming back to me now, I remember a conversation with Kempy (former long serving GM) on the lengths needed to satisfy requirements for Maryborough.

Yeah they used to refer to it as the “Maryborough Buy Swap and Sell”.

1 Like

I looks like Resonate’s Charters Towers stations have dropped their SCA affiliations.
The West FM QLD facebook page says the station is broadcast on 4CHT (along with 4LRE Longreach and 4CCC Charleville). Both stations are no longer listed as options on the hit and Triple M websites, and 4GC started a new facebook page in April.

1 Like

Tried asking them direct what’s going on?

They are still taking MMM nightshift overnight?

Looking for reaction to conversion of 2BS, found that all comments were on the standard (or lack thereof) of the stations and losing local revenue within town:

1 Like

All of Rex & Dobbo’s regional stations are as far as MMM is aware, still taking their shows.

Grant Broadcasrers Maybe?

@thestyles83 No, SCA. They’ve had their hooks into Ronnie for quite some time, warming him up for the eventual sale.

It would be nice another owner other than Lithgow or Orange’s bought the station to maintain the diversity of ownership.

1 Like

Was it the pre feed Macquarie news bulletin at 10pm that was the problem or a transmission problem with Rebel? Into the sport section of the 10pm news, the bulletin became stuck repetitively looping a second or so for minutes, then silence, then the novelty wore off following it.

Cruising around the Atherton Tablelands this afternoon with Kool FM on: Blancmange - Living On The Ceiling, then Steve Wright - Evie.

The next song? DJ Khaled and Rihanna - Wild Thoughts

Talk about jarring

5 Likes

I visited Shooters Hill today where you can receive 2GN’s Crookwell translator on 106.1. It’s currently relaying 1368 straight off air; the sound was awful even during Alan Jones’ show. Previously it relayed 2GN’s webstream- it was about 20 seconds behind 1368.

3 Likes

Oh my, wouldn’t that be prone to fading at night, thunderstorm interference etc?

1 Like