Regional Affiliation Swap 2021

Different markets, different economics

NBN/Nine dominates NNSW.
Prime/7 also very strong with local news and 7 programming

NNSW is by far 10’s weakest market nationwide if you look at the ratings

And 10Shake pulls very low numbers

Not to mention WIN and 10 are now only teamed up for one market

All those things together probably don’t make it financially viable to launch the lowest rated multi from the lowest rated network into the lowest rated market

8 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: Ten (WIN)

People in Darwin must be glad they don’t have to put up with the uncertainty of affiliation deals every few years because they have an O&O station.

Just on Darwin. With Nine News Local winding up and given that Darwin was initially brought into the regional news structure that will now no longer exist, could there be a case for Nine Darwin to move news production back to the Territory?

7 Likes

It’s a nothing channel anyway, no one sane will miss it.

exactly. The talk about 10Shake around here is disproportionate to how much anyone actually watches it.

6 Likes

Possibly. I believe Nine Darwin are looking at replicating NBN News by having it controlled externally but presented locally (NBN will be controlled via TCN when they move to new studio I’ve heard).

About time!

4 Likes

Bring back Jonathan Uptin. The news is not the same without him.

1 Like

He runs the sports department at QTQ, and also has divorced and re-partnered since being in QLD.

Definitely not going back to NT anytime soon.

4 Likes

Wow! A lot has happened in 3 and a bit years. Given his now ex partner is from the NT, probably makes sense he wouldn’t want to go back. But from a news point of view, the product has suffered. Not a fan of Paul Taylor.

1 Like

Well some people, who find that content interesting, will miss it. Calling it a nothing channel is a little offensive, Then again, the better way of doing it is streaming, or using a VPN for something like Youtube TV or Hulu.

1 Like

You don’t need a VPN, YouTube or Hulu to stream it.

https://10play.com.au/live/shake

2 Likes

I wonder if the WIN branding will also disappear in the solus markets, where 10 is currently branded as WIN. I can see them just running all channels as dirty metro feeds with local ads. Does Griffith still get the SNSW version of WIN News, and if so will it move to Nine?

1 Like

Agreed. Don’t think I’ve watched even one show on 10 Shake during the 9 months or so it’s been available in Sydney.

2 Likes

I guess this Saturday night will be the last time repeats of Columbo & Kojak will air on WIN Peach, unless it moves to 9Gem.

2 Likes

I don’t have kids and don’t really watch 10 Shake, but I’d like to see it as well purely so regional viewers get more of a choice. I’m surprised so many members here are against a new channel starting in the regions. It’s not about the content really.

16 Likes

Also notable that multichannels are more popular as a percentage of the audience in regional areas, largely due to lower uptake of Foxtel. So I’d expect a higher audience share for the new channel.

14 Likes

This… and there are many people who just don’t bother.
Quite a few years ago, back in Townsville in my university days, my partner and I rented a unit privately from the landlord, who was moving out of the unit into a house. When we were getting everything setup, I asked the landlord if the NBN was connected and she genuinely couldn’t understand why anyone would need home internet. She literally said “can’t you just use your phone”. She wasn’t old, early 30’s, but the idea of home internet seemed weird to her.

There’s plenty of people like that around too, and it’s for that reason that I don’t think suggesting that people can just stream missing multi-channels is a viable option.

5 Likes

Next Wednesday night off air EPG to midnight for the change over

WIN - a 30 min AAN to run up to midnight on ch 8/80

SC - blank atm after 12:00 am

7 Likes

Not talking about Shake, Talking about its content. Comedy Central, TruTV and CBS etc.

1 Like

I’m intrigued how it works for SCA and not for WIN - buckle in and prepare for the flood of enquiries why its available in some markets and not others.

2 Likes