Rebel Media

Very sad. Really enjoyed the show.

5 Likes

Me too. Excellent programming choice whilst it was available.

Always an interesting riddle when ā€œgoing in a different directionā€ is mentioned. Does it mean Cooper is out of a job or the syndication company moving to a different form of program distribution?

2 Likes

Rebel appeared to play Aliceā€™s songs as they aired in the US as well, with additional local songs where the US stations took their interminably long commercial breaks.

A lot of the US rock played didnā€™t gain a lot of traction in Australia- perhaps thatā€™s a factor in the decision? A pity as it provides some real variety.

1 Like

A source told Radio+Television Business Report that Cooper is not retiring or quitting radio and that the decision to end the show was forced by a change in direction by the management of United Stations Radio Network.

5 Likes

Aliceā€™s show is finishing everywhere unfortunately, not just on Rebel.

6 Likes

Starting from tonight.

7 Likes

Easily the best part of Aliceā€™s demise is that Davoā€™s show goes for another hour to 7pm, great for us later commuters. Davo has got to be the most interesting music-based DJ (if you can still call them that) anywhere on commercial radio in the country. Actually knows and cares about the music he plays, and the showā€™s playlist reflects that with really good and interesting variety.

7 Likes

Speaking of Rebel drive, I just caught the following promo on Rebel just now:

ā€˜Rockā€™s greatest unflogged hits.ā€™

Very cheeky.

10 Likes

Noticed today Rebel 93.7 Canungra seemed to be off-air most of the afternoon. Not an issue for co-sited 92.9 Breeze, was clear throughout all day.

Was weird being up in the Hinterland today and hearing classical music from Gympie on 93.7

4 Likes

I posted this a month ago today, and Rebel 93.7 Canungra is still off-air. Confirmed today on the Coast in a location where 92.9 Breeze was booming in and 93.7 was just static/very faint ABCFM Gympie in parts.

A month is an exceptionally long downtime for a transmitter, even if it is a relay for a small community (and where two other transmissions of the same service are generally receivable). Surely itā€™s been noticed by now though?

4 Likes

I have just sent them an email regarding the issue, will see if they respond (or not)

3 Likes

And they have, I received this not too long after:

Thanks for raising this. Thankfully most car listening around Canungra is to our primary 90.5 and 99.4 services, given their wider & overlapping coverage area, so please try those channels in the interim.

The small 93.7 infill service is at a council owned black spot facility on an Optus tower. A tree from the national park has grown into the tower and damaged an FM antenna. Apologies for the delay, we expect 93.7 to be back to normal in the next couple of weeks.

7 Likes

National Parks Qld arenā€™t the best of neighbours.

Slow and overly bureaucratic, if theyā€™re harbouring a fire risk, theyā€™ll deny it and blame adjoining freehold owners or theyā€™re busy prosecuting owners who encroach on their land (see earlier news story this year) yet will drag their knuckles on correcting their own problems such as this at Canungra.

4 Likes

Well done. I should have probably thought to contact them myself, but good that you did and that they responded so quickly.

Having been to that site with its lush tree cover adjacent to the tower, I can quite readily imagine how that might have occurred.

6 Likes

Me too. When I was at the site (Laheys Lookout) last year. I had to go searching the internet as to why it was referred to as a lookout, where I discovered a picture of old Lookout Platform thatā€™s no longer is place (that I could find).
I canā€™t figure why this site is listed on current Mt Tamborine tourist brochures. Thereā€™s no views from the site as it is encircled by trees. Itā€™s just a picnic site with rest stop facilities, & where for reasons that I canā€™t figure, some folk have their wedding photos taken.
I did look at the tower & I too noted trees were located very close to the antennas & tower. Iā€™m not surprised the antenna was damaged.

4 Likes

Rebel always respond to enquiries. They are genuinely the nicest people in the industry.

9 Likes

Thatā€™s Great! Rebels arenā€™t normally nice people :grin:

Iā€™ve noticed that the 90.5 / 92.1 pair into Brisbane have been lower signal strength that usual recently and this weekend have had a sudden drop off. Very low levels yesterday and today.

3 Likes

Canungra 93.7 is back on-air and weā€™ve added RDS to 92.9 there. With a couple of ā€˜self helpā€™ exceptions, all Rebel sites serving at least 1,000 people now have RDS with Now Playing info.

This month 90.5/92.1 are temporarily on a vertical standby antenna about 10m AGL on the tower. TAB 89.7 are located above that, and the primary 90.5/92.1 mixed antenna system is on top of the tower. Depending on when replacement parts arrive & weather, we will have the main array repaired and operational again around end of month.

8 Likes

Thatā€™s great news!

Any word on if/when Rebel/Breeze will be coming to the NSW Mid North Coast eg. areas like Great Lakes.

2 Likes