Rebel Media

Listening as of Friday last week and it appears Rebel have split their 90.5 Beaudesert and 99.4 Mt Tamborine programs. New sweepers on 90.5 sprouting ‘Rebel Nine oh Five’ focusing on Logan and South Brisbane (their words), as well as weather/traffic updates with the same localised feel. Haven’t checked 99.4 in detail but presuming they’re doing something similar

From the little I have listened, playlist is the same but separate ads and even back announcing with the localised name. I suppose they figured people in Beaudesert were never going to drive to Robina for Italian, and Gold Coasters were never going to go to Jimboomba for their timber, and stopped advertising that to them

3 Likes

I noticed the same on Breeze - in addition to refreshing their sweepers, stations are now IDing as The Gold Coast’s Breeze 100.6 and 92.1 Logan. Competitions, traffic and adverts are also localised.

I caught Breeze Gloucester running Tenterfield ads today, so no local stream down there. The Rebel on 93.7 still isn’t on air, nor are the outlets for the Great Lakes on 93.1 and 94.1.

1 Like

I think there’s just one NSW feed for Rebel/Breeze covering all towns they each serve.

Rebel just announced on Facebook that their 102.5 translator in Kooralbyn (south of Beaudesert) is up and running on 102.5MHz. This has been licenced for some time but obviously only now is up and running

According to the ACMA book it’s only low power and even their Facebook page says it’s just for reception in the Valley where 90.5MHz doesn’t get out so well. Fair to say I haven’t heard any evidence of it from here just yet, but will keep an eye out over the next little while

On a broader note, is 102.5 really the best frequency for a low power translator in this highly congested SEQ area? I feel like it’s one of the clearer frequencies around the place that could be used for something much higher power

1 Like

4DDB’s legacy allocation of 102.7 is the fly in the ointment for allocating 102.5 at medium to high power across SEQ. On 102.5 itself there’s also Breeze Tenterfield to consider. Having 102.5 relatively clear does mean you’re in with a chance of getting 2MBS from Cockroach City- one Brisbane DXer has already achieved it.

The real question in the subtropical empire (NE NSW/SE QLD) is where on earth to put 2LM when it is ready to convert to FM. The cogs in my noggin haven’t produced a solution yet, even after a liberal application of WD-40.

2 Likes

Finally bit the bullet on site costs is what that’s code for. A common problem for hairline profitability situations.

It will require a reallocation for a true freq of level pegging.

1 Like

There’s also the SEA FM Noosa Heads repeater (from 91.9) also on 102.5, which I’m guessing isn’t on air yet either.

Re 2LM may be something like 105.1? Far enough away from Kempsey and Glen Innes.

1 Like

Breeze is doing the same with 92.1 and 100.6

Not on air and unfortunately likely never will be.

Would sound better on air however increases the available inventory, you can do the maths.

Driving down the Cunningham Hwy this afternoon I had the radio on 103.3 to give the passengers the pleasure of Triple J for the trip down. However, very surprisingly as we reached the Gap heading Brisbane-bound it was swamped by a commercial station, which I later identified as a Breeze translator

Turns out, in addition to turning on 102.5 for Rebel in Kooralbyn, they now have 103.3 with Breeze. Appeared to be carrying the same programming as 92.1, which would be logical.

The frequency choice for this service really astounds me - all the Southern Downs ABC services from Passchendaele Ridge get out very well across SEQ, particularly from my experience in the areas south of Brisbane. I can’t help but think that flea-powered Breeze repeater is going to be swamped by JJJ whenever there’s any enhancement about or whenever you’re outside direct LOS to the transmitter

Still, it totally wiped out JJJ from the top viewpoint coming down the range today

5 Likes

Indeed. As did the SDQ-4 TV signal.

Aaron, in ACMA’s many RFCs often mentions the dud allocations they’ve been given. ACMA don’t seem to change many.

Kooralbyn also has the Brisbane DTV services on a translator on block B yet the high powered Mt Nardi signals are on this allocation. The Mt Nardi signals were often used as more reliable reception in analogue days prior to the TXA switch on.

3 Likes

I wonder when Rebel (and Breeze) will recommence on their expansion into NSW blackspots?

There’s a number of regions which have had allocations for several years at least now with nothing yet on air.

Coonabarabran - 88.5 & 89.3
Coomba Park / Stroud - 93.1 & 94.1
Nyngan - 96.7
Kendall - 105.3 & 106.9
Coolah - 98.7 & 100.3
Coonamble - 98.7 & 100.3
Gloucester / Barrington - 93.7

2 Likes

Indeed. And Breeze Childers has never commenced either…

3 Likes

Rebel 90.5 and Breeze 92.1 Logan transmitters off air tonight.

Edit Breeze is back.

4 Likes

Happens a fair bit from what is observed. (by those contributing here)

1 Like

@crankymedia Have you ever considered a move into Country NSW?

For what purpose exactly?

I am listening to breeze online. Its interesting how the quality is superior to iheartradio / SCA online versions. SWR also is starting sound good. How can these smaller stations afford to have superior sound online streaming ?

I think MSR , could easily adopt the breeze playlist and wouldn’t go wrong and heavily promote DAB. They could maintain cricket/ live sports coverage if needed. The breeze 954/882/1278 am. The stations for sports and the greatest hits of all time.

2 Likes

It would certainly work in Brisbane. As you say they should heavily promote DAB+ to supplement the AM

2 Likes