Reality Revivals

This discussion has come up in a few different threads, thought i would start this thread to consolidate the discussion.

This year saw the return of Dancing With the Stars, Australia’s Got Talent, Changing Rooms, and The Amazing Race. Next year will see the return of Big Brother.

Which reality shows from the past could/should be revived? how long does a show need to be rested before a revival is warranted? or should shows from the past stay in the past?

a shortlist of titles I see thrown around are:
The Apprentice, So You Think You Can Dance, The Mole, Australian Idol, Beauty and the Geek, The Farmer Wants a Wife, The Biggest Loser, The X Factor, My Restaurant Rules, Instant Hotel.

The one that sticks out to me is The Apprentice. I know its been tried in many shapes and forms to little success in Australia. But there isn’t much on the landscape quite like it at the moment. And it is a format that can be stripable 2-3 nights a week. I would do a normal people version, not celebrity, but still get crazy, dysfunctional cast. Janine Allis could be a good lead.

2 Likes

Yes

7 Likes

I heard that Farmer Wants a Wife might be making a comeback…

I’d like to see Ten bring back Australian Idol.

1 Like

The Apprentice as a concept is poisoned until Trump is out of office in the US.

Maybe 10 years ago when Boost Juice and Salsa’s weren’t stale and kind of dated as they are now.

1 Like

So 9 is reviving Apprentice and Beauty and the geek. not much left in the cupboard.

Just need ten to revive The biggest loser and So you think you can dance and everything old from the 2000’s is new again.

3 Likes

Whatever you do, don’t mention The Mole, or the site will go into meltdown :fire:

3 Likes

I think Beauty and the Geek might be a surprise winner in the ratings - the content and premise would probably interest the younger demos.

Celebrity Apprentice is an interesting one - why are they using overseas personalities? The ‘celebrity’ cast will probably make or break this - so far I’m not persuaded by the three cast members Michelle Bridges, Wippa or Olivia Vivian.

Seven poisoned Beauty and The Geek towards its later years with weird casting decisions (many of the “geeks” revealed to have been on other reality TV in the past or otherwise had previous media exposure), so it’s prime for a revival if Nine can cast it true to the concept of the series.

I still stand by my post from last year regarding Celebrity Apprentice, if Trump is out of office in 2021 it’ll do fine. If he’s not, it won’t do as well. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

In the final seasons 7 didnt even do a casting call for the geeks, they just got them from a casting agent and told them to grow facial hair in the leadup to filming, then gave them a script. It worked fine at first but then the scripts got really bad.

I think 9 would be taking this on as a shoutout to the 16-39s. It was never a big hit on 7 but it did its job of attracting a younger demo to the network. There is every chance it will do numbers just shy of The Voice’s but for a fraction of the production cost.

2 Likes

One of the girls on House Rules last year was previously on Beauty and the Geek - these reality TV contestants just seem to be re-used over and over again

1 Like

I have a feeling Nine decided to revive Beauty and the Geek after the surprisingly good ratings for Farmer Wants a Wife on Seven.

1 Like

Now is the time for 10 to bring back Idol. Voice skews so old and is having a change of network, there is an opening for a quality and well produced singing competition and idol has been gone forever.

Bring in James and Osher, and off we go again. Ide watch.

1 Like

This always confuses me - isn’t the production studio responsible for casting decisions, or does the network have all the say? Where is the line drawn between the responsibilities of the network and the production company?

I think Endemol Shine (the same company which produced Beauty for Seven) is still in charge next year.

The Apprentice, So You Think You Can Dance, The Mole, Australian Idol, Beauty and the Geek, The Farmer Wants a Wife, The Biggest Loser, The X Factor, My Restaurant Rules, Instant Hotel.

even the cupboard of shows left to revive is starting to look bare.

2 Likes

It Takes Two.

They’ve already been revived at least once so now they’re pretty much irrelevant.

2 Likes

Now that Trump’s definitely finished, looks like Nine will be happy that their revival will have some potential to rate well.

1 Like

Wasn’t sure where to put this but interesting….

Yeah it’s been posted elsewhere