Ratings Predictions

They weren’t dumped two or three surveys into their runs?

1 Like

From an AM Melbourne perspective, I think that 3AW will continue to smash the competition out of the park, with all programs increasing on their previous shares.

3AW Breakfast, Mornings, Drive and Nights will continue to be the timeslot winner, however Gold FM will lead in the afternoon.

KIIS 1011 Breakfast with Jase and PJ will increase on their previous share, worrying KIIS bosses with PJ’s imminent departure from the program, and making them wish they bargained harder to keep her on.

2 Likes

In response to COVID lockdowns in various parts of the country, changes are expected for the next few radio surveys, with more to be completed online. It will have no impact on Survey 5, which will be released as scheduled on Tuesday 24th August.

3 Likes

The release of Survey 5 has been pushed back to August 31. Ratings provider GfK is most affected as a large percentage of administration and data processing staff is based in the eight council areas in western Sydney and subject to harsher lockdown restrictions.

3 Likes

The results of metropolitan Australia’s 5th radio ratings surveys for 2021 will be released tomorrow.

For rather obvious reasons, I’m expecting talkback stations to rise at the expense of music in Sydney…

1: 2GB 873
2: ABC Sydney 702
3: Smooth 95.3
4: KIIS 1065
5: WSFM 101.7 - probably won’t be until Survey #6 before we really know how effective the major and recently launched “Jonesy & Amanda dolls” advertising campaign is for them.

…and after that:

6: Nova 96.9
7: Triple J 105.7
8: Triple M 104.9
9: 2DayFM 104.1
10: ABC Classic 92.9
11: 2UE 954
12: ABC NewsRadio 630
13: Radio National 576
14: Sky Sports Radio 1017
15: SEN 1170

At breakfast:

1: Ben Fordham Live, 2GB 873 - the current outbreak in Sydney should get them back to the top as people want the latest info.
2: Robbie Buck & Wendy Harmer, ABC Radio Sydney 702 - with an increase in ratings, for similar reasons to 2GB.
3: Kyle & Jackie O, KIIS 1065 - sorry, but those #1 overall ratings last time were a one-off!
4: Jonesy & Amanda, WSFM 101.7 - could increase further during Survey #6 if the dolls resonate with the public.
5: The More Music Breakfast Show with Bogart Torelli & Glenn Daniel, Smooth 95.3

The ratings for 2DayFM’s Morning Crew will continue to remain in the gutter, while Triple M’s “Moonman in the Morning” breakfast show is also likely to fall as I can’t imagine Lawrence’s dodgy trip to Byron Bay being well received by a city in lockdown.

Sydney’s digital station ratings will be same old, same old. The Edge at #1 with Double J, ABC Jazz and some of ARN’s other offerings also remaining up there. If SCA’s “Australia Today” gets listed this survey, I think we’ll see poor ratings for that station/program - not NTS/SEN Melbourne bad, but probably worse than 2CH Digital.

…and that’s just about everything. Of course, I’d be rather interested to read the predictions of others! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’m predicting 2UE will beat 2Day tomorrow.

3 Likes

If that happens it will be a new low for 2day fm / SCA, and create plenty of discussion here.

3 Likes

Of course 2DayFM was often outrated by 2UE when 954 was a #1 station, but I certainly get where you’re coming from!

Indeed.

You’d also have to imagine that the execs at SCA are worried about how the 2DayFM Morning Crew might rate tomorrow? Hughesy, Ed & Erin only received 3.3% during the last two surveys which again, was only 0.2% higher than what Grant, Ed & Ash got during their penultimate survey on-air.

I’m willing to predict that the current virus troubles in Sydney will be used as an excuse by SCA to keep HE&E on-air if the ratings fall, even though 2DayFM’s breakfast figures have been pretty low for a while before June & July! :confused:

3 Likes

I reckon the television ad campaign for the 2DayFM Morning Crew will have an impact on tomorrow’s ratings.

They will drop to below a three.

2 Likes

Dave Cameron will surely use this as an excuse for any ratings drop, because they are out of all options. What do they do, music for breakfast???

BTW I am not expecting great results for Nova 96.9 either tomorrow, I think they will be down significantly and that will continue with their new workday strategy.

2 Likes

I was thinking possibly keep Erin Molan on, but replace Hughesy & Ed with someone like Beau Ryan.

1 Like

That sounds very Triple M

3 Likes

https://radioinfo.com.au/news/cra-announces-evolution-of-gfk-radio-ratings-to-hybrid-audience-measurement-system/

The Radio360 system will see the industry transition from paper surveys to the majority use of e-diaries and integrate live streaming data to provide more information on the size and profile of audiences listening across digital platforms.

Commercial Radio Australia will partner with leading global research firm GfK to roll out the new system in measured stages, commencing in late 2021 and accelerating through 2022.

6 Likes

Radio ratings to be released October 7

Industry body Commercial Radio Australia (CRA) announced today that the release of the sixth metropolitan radio survey of the year will be delayed by one week to Thursday October 7, as a result of continuing Covid-19 restrictions.

CRA chief executive officer Joan Warner said ratings provider GfK had requested one week’s delay to Survey 6 due to the ongoing impact of Covid-19.

“Ongoing travel restrictions and lockdowns together with postal and general delivery delays in Sydney and Melbourne directly affect data collection and processing times. CRA acknowledges this is a challenging time and has agreed to this short delay to the release of Survey 6 results.”

6 Likes

Free TV/OzTAM never need to make such announcements as their data collection is automated.

Why do agencies and significant direct clients accept this? Is the CPM too much of a ‘bargain’ for them to ignore?

2 Likes

Free TV/OzTAM/RegionalTAM have the benefit of a ratings system in which they can (and must) sometimes make almost instantaneous programming decisions because numbers are available on a daily basis.

The radio industry doesn’t have that luxury, presumably because its either impossible or impractical to have a half decent peoplemeter system in place for a broadcast medium which is considerably more portable than TV.

1 Like

The frequency move for 4BH from 882 to 1116 might have an unintended consequence of benefiting 4KQ the survey after next. Wouldn’t be surprised if it was enough to push 4KQ to overall No. 1.
I know the number of listeners on 882 is pretty small, but at least some of them will likely go to 693 rather than an (even more) inferior 1116.

3 Likes

The 4BC/4BH frequency switch happens on October 8, incidentally one day after the results of Survey #6 come out.

AFAIK the survey period of both #7 and #8 will take in a brief period (if only a week or two) pre-switch, so it may not be until the first survey of 2022 before we get a true idea of how well or otherwise the switch has gone for Nine Radio.

Nonetheless, I agree that 4BH moving from 882 to 1116 might be just enough to get 4KQ over the line for a historic “Brisbane’s #1 station overall” survey either at the end of this year or early next.

3 Likes

October 8th actually. In fact, the switch happens on 8:08am on the 8th. Has a nice ring to it. :wink:

If that were to occur, it would be quite incredible to see an AM music station in a metro market in 2021-22 take out the #1 overall position. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Sorry about that, had the revised Radio Ratings Survey date in-mind moreso than the switch of 4BC/4BH!

I agree.

Might come back to this thread for more comprehensive Survey #6 predictions from a Sydney perspective closer to the delayed survey release date, but in the meantime I’d probably expect to see fairly similar results as Survey #5.

2 Likes