Ratings: NRL Grand Final

The Nine Network’s broadcast of the NRL Grand Final last night achieved a combined metropolitan and regional audience of 3.399 million viewers.

Preliminary numbers showed the Storm’s win over the Cowboys had a metropolitan audience of 2,325,000 while in major regional areas the audience was 1.1 million.

Average audience for each city

5 city Sydney Melbourne Brisbane Adelaide Perth

Other metro ratings
RUGBY LEAGUE GRAND FINAL PRESENTATION 1,731,000
RUGBY LEAGUE GRAND FINAL ENTERTAINMENT 1,371,000

This compares to the 2016 game that averaged 2.65 million metropolitan viewers and a combined metro plus regional audience of 3.79 million

Source: OzTAM (Metro) and RegTAM (Regional). Seven/7mate. Combined (Metro + Regional). Program performance and ranking information is subject to change as this report is produced on unconfirmed program logs. Metropolitan market Data is copyright OzTAM. Regional market Data is copyright RegTAM.

1 Like

Note that the preliminary numbers for the NRL Grand Final usually change significantly when final broadcast logs are used. These are the adjustments that were made to the preliminary ratings from the last 5 years

2016 up 145,000
2015 up 123,000
2014 up 148,000
2013 up 56,000
2012 up 144,000.

4 Likes

Disappointing figures in Adelaide and Perth… lower than the Origin games from memory. Nine/NRL really need to do more to promote the game in those cities

5 Likes

AFL again, biggest spectator numbers on the ground, and a bigger TV audience nationwide.

2 Likes

The NRL grand final was up by 3,000 in Melbourne from last year but fell everywhere else. Is that the lowest Sydney audience for an NRL Grand Final since OzTAM ratings began?
The Brisbane audience was also lower than 2015 when the Cowboys last played in the season decider.
The crowd was the lowest since Brisbane beat Melbourne in 2006 (79,609).

2 Likes

I thought the NRL ratings did okay, better than I thought it would considering the AFL got 3.5 mil and that had the Richmond fairytale.

Also that 7and 10 put up a bit of competition last night with “Little Big Shots” and a first run movie, and there wasn’t much competition against the AFL GF being a day game.

Obviously seeing as that game was Broncos v Cowboys…

1 Like

Melbourne audience is great.

Lowest metro overall numbers in a long time I think though?

Sydney and especially Adelaide’s audiences particularly disappointing I would’ve thought.

Macklemore (if that coding is correct) proved massive!

I always wonder if the NRL Grand Final featuring the Storm can attract a big Melbourne audience, why can’t the Storm’s regular season matches get more than 100,000 viewers on FTA in the city?

2 Likes

No, two years ago the 2015 preliminary ratings were lower (though the final rating increase by 148,000); also 2013 was lower both preliminary and final.

1 Like

A lot of the time, there is an AFL game on Seven on at the same time.

2 Likes

It’s a fair point.

Often (certainly this year) you’re able to see the ratings for the AFL on 7mate (went as high as 91k in Syd one H&A game).

But you never see ratings for NRL on 9Gem in H&A.

They’re usually tweeted by Mediaweek. Normally hovers around the 30k mark for Melbourne and around 10k (or less) for Adelaide and Perth.