Ratings 2019: 10 audience report

Information provided by Network 10

10 heads into 2020 with confidence and momentum

2019 Audience Report. Weeks 1 to 48 2019, Consolidated 7.

• 10 is the under 50s network, dominating entertainment programming in under 50s and all key demos (16 to 39s, 18 to 49s and 25 to 54s).
  • Second half commercial share year-on-year growth in under 50s and all key demos.
  • Three of the seven prime time shows with year-on-year audience growth, including the show with the most growth.
  • 75% of l0’s big domestic 7.30pm franchises to return in 2020.
  • Record online audiences.

Network 10 heads into 2020 with four consecutive months of year-on-year commercial share growth in
under 50s and all key demos (16 to 39s, 18 to 49s and 25 to 54s).

It follows a strong performance in the second half including:

• Australian Survivor achieving its biggest audience ever, up 10% on 2018.
  • The Masked Singer Australia launching as 10’s biggest new show since The Bachelorette Australia in 2015.
  • The Bachelorette Australia growing 24% year-on-year and becoming 10Play’s #1 show.
  • The Rugby World Cup 2019 seeing significant growth on the 2015 World Cup.
  • The 2019 Melbourne Cup Carnival reaching 4.1 million Australians nationally.
  • 10 Bold continuing its momentum, with 43 weeks of year-on-year audience growth.

Network 10’s chief executive officer Paul Anderson said: "Network 10 achieved a lot over the past year, from establishing a powerful new Sales team and investing in data and technology, to making television advertising even more effective, to expanding our digital media assets and investing in great new content such as The Masked Singer Australia and the Melbourne Cup Carnival.

"We are growing, across all our platforms. Our commercial share in under 50s and other key age groups is increasing. Our advertising revenue share is growing. Our digital platforms are posting record audiences.

"Our shows are engaging, innovative, noisy and connect emotionally with Australians like few others can. The GoFundMe page set up for Australian Survivor’s Luke Toki after he was voted out of the game and Waleed Aly’s monologue on The Project following the heartbreaking Christchurch massacre are just two examples of our ability to connect with people like no other network.

“Next year, for the first time in our history, we have a true 50-week schedule of known content- content that is familiar, brand-friendly and taps into the younger age groups who are very hard to reach at scale. As part of one of the biggest global content creators in the world, we are absolutely focused on making great content that creates conversations beyond the actual broadcast - across digital and social.”

Network 10’s chief content officer Beverley McGarvey said: "It’s been a big year for 10 as we bedded down our 50 weeks of entertainment programming strategy. It’s great to see strong momentum as we move into 2020 with year-on-year commercial share growth in under 50s and all key demos.

"We took some big swings this year and, in many cases, they paid off- 75% of our big domestic 7.30pm franchises are returning next year.

"Our entertainment programming performed strongly. 10 had the most shows of any commercial network in the top 20 entertainment shows of the year across under 50s and all the key demos.

"We started the year re-inventing summer programming by launching I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here! two weeks earlier than in the past, and against the traditional summer sport. The show beat the cricket every single night it was up against it and beat the tennis more than half the nights it competed against it. The show finished with its highest ever commercial share.

"In September, we launched an absolutely bonkers show about celebrities singing in costume. The show, The Masked Singer Australia, was the biggest launch on 10 in four years.

"Our Bach-Nation shows - Bachelor In Paradise, The Bachelor Australia and The Bachelorette Australia - dominated the demos during their runs, and cemented their place as true watercooler conversation shows. They also proved their success across platforms, with all three achieving 10 Play’s biggest BVOD audiences this year.

"After 11 years, we farewelled Matt, George and Gary as MasterChef Australia’s judges and crowned the show’s youngest ever winner in Larissa Takchi. We’re really looking forward to a revitalised and refreshed MasterChef Australia in 2020 with our brand new judges Jock Zonfrillo, Melissa Leong and Andy Allen.

"This year we welcomed Five Bedrooms to our screens and so did the rest of Australia, with the show
finishing as winter’s #1 drama. Dancing With The Stars also dazzled its way into our schedule and we’re looking forward to building the brand next year with an epic new cast.

"We also proved our ability to build brands as seen by the success of Australian Survivor, which achieved its biggest season ever in 2019.

"Have You Been Paying Attention? and Gogglebox continued to bring the laughs later in the evening, and this year, they were joined by Pilot Week success story Kinne Tonight. All three consistently topped the demos in their timeslots.

"Sport remained an important part of our 2019 schedule. Our Rugby World Cup 2019 multi-platform broadcast saw a tournament-on-tournament increase in audience while our 2019 Melbourne Cup Carnival coverage across all our platforms gave us a solid first year foundation for our long-term partnership with the Victoria Racing Club.

"Our news and current affairs shows - The Project, 10 News First and Studio 10- continued to set the agenda, covering issues that mattered to all Australians. In its 10th year The Project continued to deliver the big stories that get Australians talking.

"Our linear success was complemented by our booming digital platforms. 10 Play, 10 Daily, 10 Speaks and 10 All Access have all had record years, giving audiences more ways than ever to engage with our content.

“While the 2019 ratings period has finished, we’re continuing to run new content right up until Christmas before we kick it all off again on Sunday 5 January 2020 when we return to the jungle for a brand new season of I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here!.”

Here are 10’s 2019 highlights: 10 entertained the demos:

• 10 of the top 20 entertainment shows in under 50s, including four of the top 10.
  • 10 of the top 20 entertainment shows in 25 to 54s, including five of the top 10.
  • 11 of the top 20 entertainment shows in 16 to 39s, including five of the top 10.
  • 10 of the top 20 entertainment shows in 18 to 49s, including five of the top 10.

The shows were: The Masked Singer Australia, Have You Been Paying Attention?, The Bachelor Australia, The Bachelorette Australia, Australian Survivor, Gogglebox, I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here!, MasterChef Australia, Bachelor In Paradise, The Amazing Race Australia and Five Bedrooms.

10’s shows grew year-on-year:

Three of the seven prime time shows across commercial networks that saw year-on-year growth (Consolidated 7):

The Bachelorette Australia: Up 19% year-on-year, 24% including BVOD. The biggest growth of any prime time show this year across all commercial networks.

Australian Survivor: Up 8% year-on-year, 10% including BVOD. Biggest season ever.

I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here!: Up 4% year-on-year, 5% including BVOD.

The biggest audiences across platforms for 1O’s big shows:

10 's new shows:

• Five of the top 10 new shows of the year in under 50s and 25 to 54s.

• Six of the top 10 new shows of the year in 18 to 49s.

• Seven of the top 10 new shows of the year in 16 to 39s.

The shows were: The Masked Singer Australia, The Amazing Race Australia, Five Bedrooms, Dancing With The Stars, Kinne Tonight, I Am… Roxy! and One Born Every Minute Australia.

10 's got the entertainment genres covered:

• #1 game show of the year: Have You Been Paying Attention?

• #1 talent/singing show of the year in under 50s and all key demos: The Masked Singer Australia.

• #1 reality dating brand of the year: The Bach-Nation shows - Bachelor In Paradise, The Bachelor Australia and The Bachelorette Australia ( #2 if you count Married At First Sight as dating…).

• I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here!: Highest ever commercial share and under 50 commercial share.

• MasterChef Australia: #2 cooking show of the year in under 50s, #1 in 16 to 39s

10 Sport is getting faster:

• The Melbourne Cup Carnival ranked #1 in its timeslot.
  • The Carnival also reached 4.1 million Australians nationally.
  • The Melbourne Cup Race: 1.92 million. Lifted its 16 to 39s commercial share by 0.6 points.
  • The Melbourne Cup Race: 10 Play’s biggest ever live stream audience, 98,000 viewers.
  • Supercars Clipsal Race: Up 8% year-on-year.
  • Supercars Bathurst 1000 Race: Up 11% year-on-year.
  • Australian Formula One Race: Up 4% year-on-year.
  • Rugby World Cup 2019 coverage: Up 88% from 2015 tournament.
  • Rugby World Cup Final achieved biggest audience since 2011 Grand Final.

10 Bold and 10 Peach are switched on in day time and building year-on-year:

• 10 Peach: #1 commercial multi-channel in day time in 16 to 39s (its target market) and 18 to 49s.
  • 10 Bold audience: Up 11% year-on-year.
  • 10 Bold audience: 43 consecutive weeks of year-on-year growth.
  • 10 Bold: #1 commercial multi-channel in day time and in its target market of over 40s.
  • 10 Bold is the #2 commercial multi-channel in prime time.

10’s shows get people talking:

• Six of the top 10 entertainment shows on social, according to Nielsen Social Content Ratings.

The shows were: MasterChef Australia, Neighbours, Australian Survivor, The Bachelor Australia, I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here! and The Bachelorette Australia.

10 Play continues to break records:

• Achieved its biggest year ever, up 40% on 2018 in total minutes watched.
  • Achieved record live streams, up 84% on 2018.
  • 2.1 million average monthly unique audience(including connected TVs).

10 Daily keeps growing:

• Average monthly growth rate of 20%.
  • Almost doubled its audience (91%) from April 2019 to October 2019.

10 Speaks gets louder:

• Seven podcasts in six months with 1.5 million listens.

The podcasts were: The Professor and The Hack with Peter van Onselen and Hugh Riminton, Where’s William Tyrrell featuring Lia Harris and Natarsha Belling, The Western Front with Tim Gossage and Lachy Reid, The Reality Bite, Hammer It Home with Barry du Bois, Short Black with Sandra Sully and Talking Rugby with Matt Burke.

10 All Access continues to build:

• More than 9000 episodes.
  • September 2019: Biggest month ever.
  • 37% growth quarter on quarter.

In 2020, there is still more to come:

A new, competitive line-up in Q1.

• The highly anticipated Australian Survivor: All Stars premieres following I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here!.

• It will be joined by Dancing With The Stars and Ambulance Australia.

A refreshed MasterChef Australia.

• New judges -Andy Allen, Melissa Leong and Jock Zonfrillo - and returning contestants back to win.

10 Play revolutionises its user and advertiser experience.

• Standardisation of the 10 Play app user experience across all devices.

• Powerful, new ad formats beyond pre and mid-roll ads.

Investment in 10 Daily.

• New verticals and new ad opportunities.

Network 10’s chief sales officer Rod Prosser said: "In 2020, we’ll be delivering a consistent line-up with all the shows you know and love, across more platforms than ever.

"Better yet, we’re also making it easier to trade across these platforms. Our dynamic trading platform Buy10 launched in October and next year, thanks to our partnership with You.i TV, we’re revolutionising the advertising experience on our apps.

"Next year will also see the highly anticipated launch of VOZ, which will better communicate a show’s total audience across all platforms. And we committed to creating a dedicated demand side platform for all agencies to access our inventory.

“Our shows are noisy and engaging, our network is growing and our Sales team, now fully embedded into our company, is as hungry as ever.”

Despite dropping its primetime share by 0.1%, CHannel 10 did reasonably well. HYBPA and AUstralian Survivor has gone up from last year and reached its record high ratings. 10 should be very proud of what they’ve achieved. 10Bold has delivered its growth due to old eps of drama shows and sport.The 2018-19 A-League Grand Final did reasonably well especially in the Perth market. 10 should be on the way up further.

A typo. A lower case L and a capital O makes it LO - one definition of LO is it is a shortened version of LOW. Network LOW.

1 Like

Is this true? “Dominating entertainment programming all key demos”

All the lists I’ve seen of entertainment programming have Nine DOMINATING.

OK I see, regular series instead of telecasts

Zero mention of The Project or news. Zero. Shows how much they care about that.