Random TV History

It was indeed Canberra Television until Stokes beat Gordon to the keys.

2 Likes

According to the Canberra Times on 28 May 1962, the licence was awarded to Canberra Television Limited - owned by the very same newspaper and Radio 2CA - in 1960. I was unable to find articles from the time period that spell out the exact meaning of the callsign but I have seen it identified as Capital Television Canberra to better fit the third letter that usually refers to the state the station is in.

2 Likes

Was that the same company as the Canberra Television who sold and rented TVs in the mainland capitals in the 1960s and 1970s?

It appears that the television rental company was called Canberra Television Services, at least in 1968 when they were given permission to merge with Radio Rentals. Canberra Television Services had no connection with the operator of CTC7. (Canberra Times 29 June 1968)

3 Likes

I guess she or the channel hoped that viewers would happily have forgotten about that and suddenly see her as a serious presenter :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Channel Ten’s The Panel used to be played live on Triple M between 1998 and 2003, are there many examples of TV shows getting a radio simulcast? 9 News used to play on commercial radio at least over a decade ago and Rage used to play on Triple J live. Also jtv I think.

5 Likes

Nine News Melbourne still simulcasts on Light FM 89.9 nightly.

3 Likes

Music video shows in the '80s used to get FM simulcasts fairly frequently. Night Moves in Melbourne used to be simulcast between Ten and EON FM. There were simular locally-based shows in other cities as well. There was also the short-lived Wrok which aired each weekday afternoon on Ten in Sydney and Melbourne and simulcast (on AM) with 2SM and 3XY.

Rock Around The World on SBS in the early 1980s used to get simulcast on 3RRR in Melbourne, and one of the Sydney FMs though I can’t recall which one. Probably 2JJJ?

Some movies used to get FM simulcasts. I recall The Blues Brothers and The Rocky Horror Picture Show having FM simulcasts during the 1980s.

4 Likes

Now that is utterly bizarre!

1 Like

I guess Rocky Horror makes sense.

1 Like

I guess movies like those had lots of songs in them and would have sounded good blasting out of FM speakers rather than boring old TV mono (and stereo TVs were still a niche thing that not many people had)

Concert specials used to also get FM simulcasts for the same reason.

6 Likes

Nine’s Brisbane news was simulcast on River FM for many years. I think it originated that stations on VHS band in the earlier channels the audio could be received on a radio with no problems. I know people used to do this in Canberra for ABC TV but then the frequency was changed. I am talking about the early to mid 90s.

2 Likes

That’s not why/how they did simulcasts although it was true that TV channels 3, 4 and 5 overlapped with the FM band and those channels could be heard on an FM radio but that has nothing to do with why certain shows, etc., were simulcast on radio.

2 Likes

It probably gave them the idea however.

I recall Grease airing on Channel 7 sometime in the 90s had a simulcast on TTFM, couldn’t tell you the year though. I guess a movie with a more musical soundtrack might have been considered for the treatment?

And didn’t Rage used to play on Triple J overnight back in the day too?

4 Likes

It did. And ABC television used to have Sunday Stereo Specials simulcast with ABC FM

Plus, wasn’t there a breakfast FM/TV simulcast in North Queensland a few years ago on Southern Cross Ten and one of the SCA radio stations?

2 Likes

Star Wars was simulcast on TVO and FM104 in the 80s.

2 Likes

Every Farnham concert was always simulcast on Fox or TTFM I remember

6 Likes

It would be too hard to do these days, with Digital TV repeaters and DAB stations experiencing that “digital delay” compared to FM and the main TV transmitters … I imagine there’d be too many complaints about the audio being out of sync .

And no real need, with all TVs now being stereo and many having sound bars or home theatres to improve the TV sound.

3 Likes

The breakfast show on Sea FM Gold Coast was simulcast on Southern Cross 10 with a studio camera.

Sammy Power and Dean Miller when they were doing breakfast on Triple M Brisbane simulcast one of their breakfast shows on Briz31 one morning. I can’t quite remember the occasion though.

3 Likes