I saw this on the Vintage & Retro Australia group on Facebook.
i wonder where they got that from… https://televisionau.com/2021/06/50-years-since-pick-a-box-ended.html
It was a long wait for a result if you were tuning in on TVT6!
Regional TV often got programs well after the metros did.
NBN were one of the worst offenders… ‘Sale Of The Century’ was a week behind TCN-9 for the first few years… And some soaps were way behind… ‘Home And Away’ and ‘A Country Practice’ were about 15 months behind ATN-7, similar with ‘Days Of Our Lives’ being about a year behind TCN-9.
But then it all varied between regions. In the case of Home And Away, the stations that were to be aligned with Seven under aggregation, at least in NSW and QLD were initially aired the same day as metros but no more than a week behind (due to sports commitments eg B&H World Series Cup).
I will agree with A Country Practice until around 1987-88, Sale Of The Century in markets where it was displaced to another timeslot from 7pm, in the NRTV case, when E Street replaced Richmond Hill on Ten, NRTV didnt first broadcast E Street until February 1991 in the 2:20pm weekday timeslot until it caught up over 2 years of episodes, then taking 7:30pm Wednesday and Thursday in early September 1991. A Country Practice was then axed from the station. E Streets afternoon slot was previously occupied by Young And The Restless.
Regionals, often got the raw end of the deal unless the metros really wanted to push national exposure eg Sale Of The Century being, in many cases aired in simultaneously with Nine.
And thats if stations wanted to run it at all. Remember, they had to pay for it too.
At least they had access to Sydney stations with the right equipment.
That only really started when Sale began to include “On This Day” quips, so it needed to be aired on the same date.
But then it fell by the wayside on regionals again when regionals markets were aggregated because of current affairs programs and sports
Another NBN Gem thanks to @rhettrospective
One of many Drive Alive CSAs they did in the 80s and 90s
Started 40 years ago when they did a TV Special called Drive Alive in 85
Same age as me. Can I say my arrival made NBN produce that show? ![]()
A few things to note:
- Most of the interviews were taken from previous flashback reports
- They used the 2020-22 titlecard over an intro from a 2016-2019 intro featuring Jane and John
Ran into the late 2000s. I recall it running on Thursdays after Inspector Rex.
One of the few SBS shows I watched alongside South Park and Eat Carpet.
Who Remembers Robbie McGregor Doing The Voice Overs On SBS?
I remember him.
Hotline was SBS’s answer to ABC’s Backchat .
Yeah but for a long time didn’t know what his name was. But i recognised his voice. To me he was to SBS what Wal Morrison was to NBN.
Now this I did not know…
From the ‘Central Coast Express Advocate’ December 1987, it seems the Wyong TX (at Forresters Beach) was still not on air by then… For some reason, I had thought they started around the same time as Gosford, which I think was around 1983? No idea when the Bouddi site first went to air.
(the headline has also inserted a certain Dire Straits song in my brain which I’m trying to get rid of!).

