Random TV History

This is off the base of some very surface level searching, but here is some ratings data from the midway point of 2006.

Nine’s American sitcoms Two and a Half Men and The New Adventures of Old Christine have flopped

Hmm…if only they knew what was coming :thinking:

7 Likes

By 1988, Rex had moved into an analyst role after suffering a medical episode (at the time it was passed off as an ear infection but I’ve seen reports saying it was a stroke) during a Panasonic Cup game in 1987.

The series final of New Faces and Bert’s last show on Nine after 26 years.

YouTube: steve rutherford.

1 Like

I had forgotten that WIN had taken 2 years after aggregation to switch off Channel 4 in Wollongong. Seems to have been a very long time to have been simulcasting with the UHF channel which IIRC had switched on in 1988?

2 Likes

The reason why WIN (as well as the ABC on 5A) remained on VHF 4 for two years after aggregation was because of the delay on the construction of the Ulladulla TV translator due to environmental concerns, as the preferred site is located just inside the boundary of the Morton National Park.

The Ulladulla translator finally came into service on 28th February 1991, clearing the way for WIN & the ABC to finally vacate the VHF band which occurred a month later.

5 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Classic Commercials

Full length version of the “Age of Reason” (yes, using THAT John Farnham song as the soundtrack…) promo for Seven News Sydney which aired during the 2000 Olympics:

…and a generic 30 Second promo for Sydney’s Today Tonight:

A rather interesting story behind that particular promo, Seven apparently had to revise that promo twice (removing the misleading “milk caused her breast cancer” portion), if the 25/9/2000 Media Watch transcript is anything to go by!

YouTube Upload Credit: Spy Smurf’s Retro Preservation Society

7 Likes

Another great upload from whophd (which I’m sure @MGO will enjoy), a rare look at HD television during an era that barely anyone had access to it.

Recorded off-air from Nine HD Sydney during the morning of Thursday February 12, 2004, this clip includes parts of the scenery loop/program which aired for decent chunks of the day, a “Nine HDTV: The Quality Shows” promo and the Opener + first few moments of “Mornings with Kerri-Anne” - one of the few locally produced programs produced at TCN Willoughby that was broadcast in native HD (at least for live segments) at the time:

*Pretty sure that scenery loop/program was running on WIN HD as recently as 2008-09, which would’ve been several years after Nine stopped airing it on their HD channel.
*Two frames from that “Nine HDTV: The Quality Shows” Promo/ID are still registered trademarks of the Nine Network Australia Pty Limited as you can see with the listings on IP Australia here and here!
*There’s probably quite a few things during that portion of Mornings with Kerri-Anne which haven’t aged all that well, but that international newspapers vending machine likely would’ve become obsolete within less than a decade!

11 Likes

I do like the holding up of a Japanese newspaper, having Kerri-Anne guess Mandarin and then the random other guy correcting her that the “Core-Ian” viewers (who says Korean like that?) would probably understand it, and then this being on loop for years on end.

4 Likes

Great find! It’s different to the one that was aired on Southern Cross 10s HD channel anyway, that was mostly regional shots.

4 Likes

Strayans? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Oh my god wow. I wonder how on Earth the uploader was able to obtain this???

2 Likes

My guess is that whophd would recorded this via a DVB-T tuner card, which would’ve been available on the Australian market for at least six months by February 2004 (keeping in mind that tvcl has previously posted content captured from Sydney Digital TV as far back as August 2003).

5 Likes

Honestly the main thing would be storage - I was able to record TV back in 2006, but had no means of storing large recordings that long before I ran out of hard drive space - so the stuff that survived were the bad quality re-encodes I did for posting clips here, and the occasional thing I managed to find important enough to save.

7 Likes

I think this is an incredible find, and I wonder how much is actually stored on DV tapes by the networks in digital format.

Storage is fair cheaper now and using NAS or even AWS glacier storage is much safer to store the content.

A while ago I posted some videos of the Australian and British versions of Popstars.

You’ll recall that in the latter version, there was a special that aired there named “Nearly Popstars”, that documented how those that didn’t make it to the final band fared after the show.

One of the guys that appeared in that doco - Kevin Simm - later became part of the group Liberty X, which achieved moderate success on the charts both in the UK and in Australia.

In 2016 he would appear on the British version of The Voice and win the series under the mentorship of Ricky Wilson (of the Kaiser Chiefs fame).

Audition video:

The moment he won:

2 Likes

A few seconds of an ATV0 ident in amongst this 19 minute silent home movie reel. Given the “0 Melbourne” logo I would date this around 1971-72?

YouTube: ACMI Collection

8 Likes

Great find sir!

2 Likes

1997: Green Day appear on ABC’s Recovery Live and give an impromptu performance of Platypus I Hate You from the then new CD Nimrod, host Dylan Lewis doesn’t really object too much!

5 Likes