Random TV History

And I would imagine that Entertainer TV would have the Australian version of this jingle -

3 Likes

Also, if that channel existed today, I believe it would have reality shows like Junior MasterChef Australia and The Voice Kids mixed with popular overseas programming from Nickelodeon in the US e.g. sitcoms like iCarly, and Australian versions of Nickelodeon game shows.

That channel would be very popular in the 90s for Australian kids.

3 Likes

— not sure where to place this but it’s okay #myfriends

In 1984, a TV transmitter was set up at what would be currently known as “City of Cao Bằng” (capital of Province of Cao Bằng), the first TV transmitter in Northwestern Vietnam. That transmitter carried VTV programming sent by kinescope in B&W, and the film was used and used again (meaning that it was prone to deterioriation).

That transmitter could be considered the lowest powered in the entire planet, and in the television history: it only had FOUR WATTS of power!

5 Likes

I can only imagine the picture quality.

Francis Monkman’s Strident Theme. Stock music that was frequently used on TV back in the late 1970’s and early 1980’s https://youtu.be/WxEB6qAiSSs
Credit: Àlex (YouTube)

The Overseas TV History thread could always use some fresh posts:

https://forums.mediaspy.org/t/overseas-tv-history/

1 Like

In October 1994, Seven aired a special episode of WOF celebrating John Burgess’ 10th Anniversary as host.

YouTube: C A.

2 Likes

A fair few versions of Capital Television’s take on the 1993* Network Ten Launch IDs in this upload. Of course since “It’s On Capital” wouldn’t work quite as well musically as “It’s On Ten” did, the song was rejigged slightly and became ​"Catch It On Capital" for the SNSW/ACT market:

YouTube credit: Download - quite a few other gems on that channel too.

*Yes, despite the uploader titling it as “1994” I can confirm that it was a recording from 13/2/1993. For once, I’ve actually managed to use Trove’s archives of The Canberra Times to find the date of a recording from Canberra television! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Part of an episode of Sunday Magazine produced by Open Channel Melbourne as seen on HSV-7.

YouTube: Mike Squier.

The Theme featured in that Clip is First Choice by Keith Mansfield.

1 Like

Disco Glitz - Richard Myhill. This was used in Neighbours Promos back in 1991.

Neighbours Promo 1991

2 Likes

Set Me Free - Richard Cottle. This was used by Channel 10 to promote Beverly Hills 90210 back in 1995.

90210 Promo 1995

1 Like

Hello Home Shopping, filmed in Prime’s Wollongong studios and shown on Prime on Tuesday afternoons in 1994.

2 Likes

One notable person on the Credits is Rob McKnight (@blackbox) who was on Audio.

2 Likes

OMG I had forgotten about that show! I even directed and edited some episodes.

Very early on in my career but I loved doing stuff like this.

9 Likes

We all know how badly panned the Closing Ceremony of the 2018 Commonwealth Games was.

But who remembers the Closing Ceremony of the 2006 Games, which were held in Melbourne? It was a celebration of the city and its culture.

Great video but give us a heads up about the sound next time will you? It’s unpleasant to be wearing headphones and be greeted with A VERY LOUD CROWD CHEERING OVER FIREWORKS.

2 Likes

Found this article from the Sydney Morning Herald from 2003. It states that Mark Ferguson filled in for Jim Waley towards the end of the year when the veteran presenter had to take extended leave to treat skin cancer.

That year, Nine News won all 40 weeks in Sydney, including the period in which Ferguson deputised for Waley. While Fergo was only 37 at the time, I think it’s fair to say that this was the only sustainable period of ratings success he would enjoy, and that (along with him presenting on weeknights during the tsunami coverage in 2004-05) would prove a forerunner to him permanently replacing Waley in 2005.

2 Likes

Didn’t mind it at all. Dame Edna interrupted Michael Klim’s farewell speech mid-sentence with Klim wasn’t able to complete his speech

When DDQ was on 5A in Toowoomba (from Mt Lofty) in the “10-4-5A” days, was there an equivalent local ABC TV relay on VHF?

I suspect not as all other channels appeared to be accounted for or were unavailable as below.

0 = TVQ Brisbane
1 = ABC Southern Downs
2 = ABC Brisbane
3 = ABC Darling Downs
4 = “10-4-5A” Southern Downs
5 = Unavailable due to 5A being in use
6 = Also unavailable as above
7 = 7 Brisbane
8 = Also assumed unavailable due to 7 & 9 Brisbane, and possibly Wide Bay
9 = 9 Brisbane
10 = “10-4-5A” Darling Downs
11 = Assumed unavailable due to 10 as above.

1 Like