Random TV History

2 Likes

btw You can include the start time in the URL, click on “Share” which pops up a window where you can specify where to start the video and it includes this in the URL :wink:

But to respond to that video, that’s computer generated logo seems… of its time but Nine couldn’t put their actual logo there??

1 Like

Well that just brought back some memories!

I don’t think the iphone YouTube app can do that unless I’m looking in the wrong spot. I know it can be done on the PC.

Oh yeah it might not be on the app

Sky Channel flyer promoting itself to hotels at the time of its launch…

10 Likes

Does anyone know when exactly in 1985 it launched?

1 Like

Many of you here will remember the British police drama The Bill. IMO this is the best remix of the theme tune:

From memory, the show would air Saturday nights on ABC (once, in 2006, it went head-to-head with Blue Heelers on Seven and AFL coverage on Ten) and repeat episodes would be shown on weekday afternoons before the children’s programming blocks.

3 Likes

I used to watch that show when it was on. It was one of the highest rating programs on the ABC at that time.

After the series ended in 2010 after more than 25 years, 7two aired the 1999-2002 eps between 2011 & 2014, mainly at around Midnight. In 2016, ABC aired repeat eps from the pilot in 1983 up until around mid-1991 on weekday afternoons.

9Gem are now airing eps from 2004 at 8:40pm Monday nights, airing 2 eps back-to-back.

3 Likes

The Bill used to be on Tuesday nights on the ABC in the 1980s.

1 Like

And also between 1995 & 2007 after the ABC was about 18 months behind the UK in eps.

Interestingly, The Bill also aired on Wednesday nights in early 1988 for Series 3, and after it switched to a 30 minute format from Series 4 onwards in July that year, the ABC then aired it on Thursday nights in double eps mode, initially not long after the UK. However, the ABC often pre-empted the series from time to time to fit in a mini-series or special, and so it moved to Saturday nights in September 1990, where it was less likely to be pre-empted, except for elections.

After an extra ep was added in the UK in January 1993, the ABC started to gradually fall behind by as much as 18 months. So in November 1995, it added a 3rd timeslot for the show, in which it aired a single ep at 8pm Tuesdays. When the ABC caught up to the last 30 min eps before it switched back to a 1-hour (45-50 mins for ABC) format (as it initially was for the first 3 series in the 80s) in late 1999, the Tuesday eps were moved to 8:30pm in line with its Saturday timeslot. The ABC gradually started to catch up to the UK, given that less eps were airing there per week than in Australia at some point.

In late 2007, the ABC stopped showing the series on Tuesday nights, and then started showing double eps on Saturday nights, airing from 8:30 until 10pm. This continued until September 2009, when it was cut back to just 1 ep, in line with what’s occurred in the UK just a couple months earlier.

The final ep aired on 16th October 2010, just a month & a half after it aired in the UK. The farewell special aired the following Saturday.

4 Likes

Daniel MacPherson, currently in hotel quarantine, tweeted that he’d been watching himself in these old episodes

https://twitter.com/DanMacPherson/status/1381566555117416451?s=20

3 Likes

Are they on Gem? This is news to me!

2 Likes

Everything sounds better with a sax.

2 Likes

I also liked the 2001-03 version of this theme, which sounded modern.

Isn’t this when it went super soap opera style though? It was the very late 90s / early 2000s when it went from gritty realism to more stylistic and soap opera storylines plus they changed to 30 minute episodes didn’t they?

2 Likes

No, this was after it switched back to a 1-hour format & remained that way until the series finale in 2010.

But yes, it went more ‘soapy’ when Paul Marquess became EP, which included killing off 6 characters in the Sun Hill Police Station fire, as well as Chief Inspector Derek Conway (who had been in the show since 1988) in a separate incident a couple eps before.

After Paul Marquess left the EP role in 2005, it went back more towards a real police drama.

2 Likes

It’s like they wanted it to be a cop version of Casualty

While we’re on the topic of classic British television, does anyone else also remember the titles Burnside (which apparently was a spin-off of The Bill) or Linda Green?

Both aired on the ABC in Australia.

1 Like