Random TV History

Found this after looking for an article cited in Michael Thurlow’s recent book about regional TV history. It’s a floor plan of the old CTC7 building. Taken from RCA broadcast News August 1975.

https://worldradiohistory.com/ARCHIVE-RCA/RCA-Broadcast-News/RCA-156.pdf

Also, going by this video, the inside of the building has been altered quite a bit over the years and studios B and C appear to have been decommissioned a while back and converted to office space.

Source: Canberra Production (Vimeo)

6 Likes

And now gone.

2 Likes

It’s a shame but it was inevitable.

1 Like

I draw maps as a hobby and I drew a rough one of CTC’s studios based on that video, so it’s good to see the actual layout.

8 Likes

A 1990 Panasonic ad for Retravision, Port Adelaide.

YouTube: Brayden’s Weather, Quizzing, Commercials and Sports

2 Likes

I think it was repeated a lot. SBS when it came along ran two British shows (Follow Me and People You Meet) which were much the same.

1 Like

In the latest Block promo Scott Cam is seen trying to get better reception on an old B and W TV. They are using an old spiral coil indoor TV antenna (but strangely no cable - it was connected by 300 Ohm ribbon). My grandparents used to have one of these and as thy lived near Mt Coot-tha the reception was very good despite their tin roof. I think you could still get these into the colour TV era.

Internet search

5 Likes

Takes me back to my primary school days, I remember the school still had B&W TVs with those spiral antennas though this was well after colour changeover. Not enough funding to upgrade to colour TVs it seems!

3 Likes

I’ve acquired a few tapes from Newcastle and one tape is recordings of Thunderbirds circa 1994. It’s definitely been recorded off NBN (an NBN News promo played) but has Nine PRGs, promos and even an ident.

Any ideas why?

2 Likes

Was it overnight, with NBN taking a dirty feed of Nine?

3 Likes

That’s what I was thinking. If memory serves, around that era Nine used to show Thunderbirds in the early morning (maybe around 5am), so may have just been a dirty feed overnight from TCN.

2 Likes

I came across this old bueaty at a vintage market in Geelong today.

19 Likes

For many years when NBN went 24/7, they ran a dirty feed of TCN from around midnight to 6am

2 Likes

How much was it? Would be amazing to donate to a museum! What a piece of history.

1 Like

The Carleton Walsh Report tv show on ABC

4 Likes

Beautiful, thanks for sharing this - was first used in 10 TV Australia’s short-lived Saturday night version in 1989. RIP Mr Ian Turpie :frowning:

3 Likes

Kerry Packer apparently hated the Come on Along campaign - he thought it too American and ordered it to be canned…

2 Likes

POSTED IN TRIBUTE TO YOU TURPS. RIP IAN TURPIE WHO PASSED 11 MARCH 2012*

Game-show king, Ian Turpie hosts a great ‘Switcheroo’ in 10 TV Australia’s ‘Price is Right’, produced in Melbourne.

The New Price Is Right aired on the Seven Network from 1981-1986 with down-to-earth Ian Turpie as host. Upon its launch, it originally aired after midday (together with Wheel of Fortune). The show’s immense popularity in Australia destined the NPIR (in a 30 minute format) for 7pm primetime in Brisbane and 6pm most other capitals. When ratings declined, the NPIR moved back to later afternoon viewing and in an hour long format(and with the big wheel).

The ‘Price Is Right’ was revived as a hour-long version by 10 TV Australia (Network Ten) in 1989. Ian Turpie was again the compere, but this time for a Saturday night show (7.30pm timeslot). In the face of the stiff competition of ‘Hey Hey it’s Saturday’, the show lasted only twelve episodes (yes only 12!). It was then left to the Nine Network to bring the PIR back on Australian screens in 1993.

The music used in this version of PiR was carried over to the Nine Network when Larry (Emdur) hosted the show.

Recorded from Ten Capital Canberra

4 Likes

I can’t remember the price but it wouldn’t surprise me if it was at least $300.

2 Likes

The final goodbye for Agro’s Cartoon Connection (Dec. 19, 1997).

YouTube: ThatDrunkenBastard

7 Likes