Random TV History

Found this piece of history while cleaning around the house! Published 1993
In mint condition as well. Just the paper edges of the outside are a little bit worn.

6 Likes

Is it a poster, or what is it?

Looks like a book. You can see the hardcover peaking through the dust jacket.

2 Likes

It’s a book

3 Likes

Any other Australian TV related books?

This thread might be of interest to you

4 Likes

That’s all I have sorry. I think I might have one of the Channel 9 50 year DVDs from 2006.

1 Like

I think I had that book at one point!

I often see the 60 Minutes one at Salvos.

James Brayshaw covering the The Ashes cricket for Channel 7 at Old Trafford, England.

6 Likes

Found this gem on YouTube tonight. What looks like a Christmas Tape from CTC7’s Black Mountain days in the early 1970’s. CTC 7 OLD B+W Days - YouTube (Credit: Richard Masters)

2 Likes

I have come across this one before seems someone downloaded other people’s videos and made a new video and uploaded to YouTube. But has some interesting Canberra ads and TV indents for CTC7. Some I haven’t seen before.

1 Like

Hmm. I recognise one of my uploads in that compilation. The title is misleading considering the uploader has ripped off content from videos recorded off Canberra and metropolitan TV stretching from the 1970s to the 1990s. The Lindeman’s ad is 1970s and the Care for Kids campaign ran during the International Year of the Child in 1979.

5 Likes

Did anyone else do a localised version of this?

2 Likes

GMV6 did one for Wangaratta

YouTube: Regional TV Australia Web Project

2 Likes

I think there was an SES8 version too

2 Likes

TVQ 0 Eyewitness News in the Coldest Hits. Surprised comments that Jacki Mac read the news and Paul Bongiorno the weather in Brisbane.

1 Like

to be fair, both were in roles that were against type :stuck_out_tongue:

This would be 1983.

Paul was pretty much told if he wanted to take Political reporting seriously he couldn’t also be the stations weatherman. This is why Ray Wilkie was hired who ended up having a lengthy career at TVQ and Paul eventually moved to Canberra.

Also many in Brisbane weren’t aware of Jackie Mac’s moonlighting in Melbourne even thought there was subtle hints on the news.

Looking back it was a different time and couldn’t probably be repeated today.

2 Likes

I think she recalled that her newsreading days in Brisbane were numbered when the channel had spent a fortune putting up billboard ads all around town spruiking its serious news team, but their efforts came undone when a local newspaper went on to publish pictures of her dressed up as a steak sandwich for Hey Hey It’s Saturday down south.

3 Likes