We’ve all seen them, now it’s finally made the news

5 Likes

the latest of these stupid “ads” i got
google literally has ZERO ad moderation

top text is in fucking russian too

3 Likes

Seams legit. :wink: :joy:

2 Likes

And the photoshopping / AI imaging is terrible……arms and hands going at the wrong angles etc

2 Likes

It does take you to a somewhat clickbaity article about the recent Treehouse of Horror episode, but Google bungled it when it came to headlines.

2 Likes

Wasn’t sure where to put this one but nearly 2 years since the Hillcrest jumping castle incident in Devonport charges have been laid against the company involved on the day.

Not sure how much news of it has been made nationally but this story will likely make it to the news cycle again but it’s been an ongoing thing as the 2 year time period for charges to be laid was about to expire and it had also recently been in the news because the Coroner has been unable to proceed without the information from the Worksafe Tasmania investigation which they wouldn’t hand over until it was determined if charges would be laid.

Hopefully now all the investigations and court litigation that comes from it all can be resolved quickly but it’s going to be tough having it in the news cycle. I pass by the Devonport Basketball Stadium daily where there’s a sign for one of the children who died and I often see the parents of one of the other girls and it’s still quite an emotional thing in the area when it comes up, especially now at end of school time celebrations.

Jumping castle operator charged over 2021 Hillcrest tragedy that resulted in deaths of six Tasmanian children - ABC News

3 Likes

For anyone in Melbourne, how bad are the protests down there because of,the Israel/Palestine war in the middle east? I’ll be down in Melbourne from the 26th December 2-23 to the 3rd of January 2024. I just want to prepare myself as I am staying on Swanston Street.

1 Like

Whereabouts on Swanston St are you staying? Most rallies focus around with the Library or on Spring at outside Parliament. To be completely honest it’s probably not worth worrying about unless it’s right outside your door.

2 Likes

Hey Frankie I’m staying not too far from fed square.

I doubt there’ll be much trouble there, a good spot for NYE.

2 Likes

Yeah, hopefully my anxiety wont be too high, I wouldn’t mind going to fed square on new years eve. There’s a cafe there, so i should be okay, stay away from any issues.
Just need to get used to pushing and shoving and the crowds again. :stuck_out_tongue:

Nah don’t worry about protests, they’re nothing like the Sydney news will have you believe.

Or worse still, the Queensland news!

1 Like

Pretty sure you’ll find that Port Macquarie did this first, Forster is just trying to copy :laughing:

https://www.news.com.au/travel/australian-holidays/nsw-act/pathetic-locals-furious-at-councildecorated-christmas-tree/news-story/9b5e4d62fe7c347cb12153f5bfe7ef8d

This year is almost over and I still haven’t been successful in finding a suitable job that I’m able to do. I have limited work experience as I’ve only ever worked in manufacturing for 40 years ,nothing else :confused:. I’m still happy working as a volunteer for RSPCA QLD ,now I’ve been there 6 months.Even though I don’t get paid I still go there,it gives me a purpose,something to do and meet a few :smiley_cat:s also. I feel like I’m not just getting a handout ,my fortnightly Centrelink payments,I’M contributing and helping a charity that does great work.

5 Likes

I’m in the same boat lol. I still haven’t got medical clearance just to start work again. I was planning on doing volunteer work just to do something but I may not be now. I even have all the contacts so I can do it I just need the clearance so I can.

4 Likes

Because I worked for so long I can’t stay home and do nothing,that’s not me.Before I found the RSPCA as somewhere to volunteer I was out of options as what I’ve tried so far since I left full time work didn’t work out for me

4 Likes

I should really be on the DSP payment instead, but I can’t be bothered getting all the proof they need,a note from a psychiatrist saying that I have a life long mental health issue, I can’t even get an appointment with one :-1:and also X-rays and a report from a physiotherapist showing the advanced arthritis in both knees and lower back,even after showing them all that I’ll probably still get knocked back .
It’s people who abused the system for years,claiming it for conditions they didn’t suffer from all the time,who’ve made it harder for us honest people to get it and an extra $100 per fortnight

5 Likes

The DSP system in it’s current guise is fundamentally flawed sadly and locks many people who are more than deserving of assistance out. I worked for a DES provider for many years and saw firsthand the demoralising and dehumanising effects the welfare system had on so many people in genuine need.

All the rhetoric of trying to avoid “welfare cheats” (which, while they are out there, they are nowhere near as commonplace as the Coalition and Murdoch media would have you believe) has resulted in a system that punishes the genuinely needy (and generates trauma for it’s participants) while still usually letting a lot of the bad eggs through anyway.

I’m of the view that the DSP system should be split into 3 levels, with different levels of disability attracting different levels of payment. This would be much fairer on people who may not be able to work full time or who have health issues that render them unable to work for a period of time.

Level 1 would be about halfway between the current jobseeker payment and the DSP and have the easiest criteria. It would be designed for people with conditions that mean that working more than 15 hours a week would be a struggle, but who have some capacity to work. Alternatively they could score 10 on the impairment tables or have multiple 5s. This would also be the appropriate category for temporary conditions that are moderate in impact (which are excluded now).

Level 2 would be about 3 quarters of the way between the current jobseeker payment and DSP, and have stricter criteria around eligibility, but would still be easier to apply for than the DSP. People in this range could be assessed as being able to work between 8-15 hours, or score 15 on the impairment tables or have multiple 10s. This would also be the appropriate category for temporary conditions that are high in impact, such as someone going through cancer treatment.

Level 3 would be the same criteria as the current DSP with the same tight rules (and requirement for the condition to be permanent).

That way, it would preserve the integrity of the DSP system while also allowing for people who genuinely need more support to be able to get it much quicker and with much less hassle and trauma.

3 Likes

If this was the system I would be a Level 1 as I’m currently able to work about 3-4 4 hour shifts at the RSPCA every week.Theres no suitable paid job for me with that many hours as I can’t work more than 20 hours a week anymore.
I shouldn’t still be required to show them that I’ve applied for 6 jobs per month either.I look up and apply for manufacturing jobs on SEEK but as soon as recruiters see my application I’m unsuccessful already because I’m too old :confused::-1:

3 Likes