Random Thread

I’ve never clicked on the links but these message are driving me crazy. Had three yesterday and two so far today. I block the numbers but they keep coming.

3 Likes

What gets me is when they misspell things :joy:

6 Likes

It must be some sort of trick to not get filtered as a scam message.

6 Likes

I use the Google Messages app on my Android and the spam filter is holding up despite the barrage. :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

The ACMA should get off their arses and force the industry to do something about these rogue phone and SMS calls.

It should not be difficult to implement some sort of secured caller ID verification and blocking of SMSes from unverified gateways - especially enforcing ‘know your customer’ positive identification regulations upon domestic gateways between VoIP and the legacy phone network to ensure that scam calls cannot proliferate from untraceable sources.

9 Likes

ACMA is a toothless tiger, and appears incompetent.
The federal government long ago decided to have a hands-off, light-touch regulatory environment, when ACMA was created.

New authenticated systems exist in the world, but I have no idea if the telcos in Australia have any plans to implement them.
With this government not even wanting to support businesses to require vaccination in the middle of a pandemic, I don’t see any chance of SMS gateway authentication being enforced anytime soon.

2 Likes

i worked in the voip space about 12 years ago - just as it was taking off and the regs were seen as a joke than.

we had voip boxes you plugged your regular phone into and worked like one, except they needed a web connection and would work anywhere in the world (internet connection pending)

we had users who would register a local number and ship it to rellies in the USA or England - in one case it even went to some missionaries in PNG - all so they can have a local number. there was nothing illegal about this at the time, and for all i know it still mgiht not be.

it was common for call centres to buy all you can eat pre apid sims and plug them into a voip to cellular gateway, trash the guts out of them on there and when they got canned they will buy another under another staff members name. no accountablity at all.

1 Like

Lol I get a few of these each week, I block them all.

1 Like

ACMA: *crickets*

Agree that we need a distraction. We need ‘feel good’ stories now. Should we post them on this thread or start a new one?

2 Likes
2 Likes

I hate to make this thread about me, but I just feel like i’m not making any positive or worthwhile contribution to this forum.

I feel that my quality of my mocks have gone downhill since a couple of years ago, and my recent posts are just pointless.

I really just feel like I don’t have a place here anymore, and that sucks I feel this way.

2 Likes

thanks for the kind words, man. :heart:

7 Likes

Guilt and shame are something we all struggle with, and usually when we feel that way we didn’t get that way on our own (people say things to us through childhood onwards often not even realising what they are doing).

There’s always a deeper reason why we feel something than what’s immediately apparent.

Thanks for doing what you do, and for being a friend to all of us. And remember - you’re perfect just the way you are.

5 Likes

Ok, I think it’s time for a ‘feel good’ story. I hope you don’t mind me sharing.

A few years ago a little friend of mine was diagnosed with leukaemia. Instead of starting grade two he was starting chemo. There were fundraisers at the local footy club and other people helped in various ways, but I couldn’t decide what I could do to show my support. While the chemo went fairly well, it wasn’t perfect so the doctors decided he’d need a bone marrow transplant. This would mean at least eight weeks in a single room in hospital in the most germ-free environment possible. With him being locked away for so long I decided I’d give him money so he could think about what he’d like to do with his family when he finally got out of hospital.

The next day I went to a local bank (I’d never been in this branch before) and asked the teller for five ‘newish’ $100 notes. I told her about my little friend and how I wanted to give him something to look forward to when he got out of hospital. She went out the back and it was quite a few minutes before she returned. She then introduced herself and told me she was the bank manager, and explained how the bank encouraged staff to support worthy causes. And with that she handed me my five $100 notes - and then said the bank was going to match my money and handed me another $500! I burst into tears there and then. I just couldn’t believe it.

I’d ordered my lunch on the way to the bank, and when I got back I was still crying and I told them what had happened. With that, the cafe owner gave me another $100! So in the end my little friend was given $1,100. Obviously with covid he’s not able to travel but the plan is to either go to Sydney or the Gold Coast when he’s well enough.

24 Likes

As a footnote to this story, my little friend is doing really well now but he has a long road ahead of him. He’s the bravest boy I know. Devastatingly, his 2yo cousin was also diagnosed with leukaemia a few months ago, albeit a different type of leukaemia. She’s been in and out of hospital since her diagnosis but at the moment things are good. The doctors are concerned there may be a genetic link but the full testing results won’t be known for two years.

6 Likes

i had that two days in a row so far

3 Likes

Anyone keen to try out NFL fantasy football? It’s pretty much their version of Supercoach. I’ve got a slot for one more team and I’ve set our draft for this Sunday arvo. NFL season starts next Friday.

Original tweet is from Franklin son of Billy Graham, CEO of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association

1 Like