Random Thread

After my Topfield died, I bought a Fetch Mighty. Far superior. I wished I had replaced the Topfield earlier.

3 Likes

I have 2 Fetch boxes. Love them like family, and they don’t argue back!

3 Likes

Pretty conclusive there. Thanks all!

3 Likes

Also love fetch, we have the mini these days as recording things is so unnecessary now.

2 Likes

Another Fetchie here! :raised_hands:

2 Likes

I miss a lot of the functions of the Topfield, such as the 30 sec skip forward, and I don’t like that the Fetch has to be constantly connected to the internet. The Fetch can be buggy and sometimes doesn’t record a scheduled show because it claims it’s already in my recordings. Problems are far fewer than when I first purchased it, however. You need to ensure your signal is good, too. I had to experiment with cables to ensure I didn’t get drop outs even though I never had reception problems with the connection to the TV.

The Fetch is the best alternative to the Topfield I could find. I mainly use it to record news shows and some ABC content but rely on streaming for most of my entertainment needs because the commercial networks aren’t worth bothering with theses days (erratic scheduling, piss poor programs). Great that all the catch up services and apps (Netflix, Stan, YouTube) are all on the box.

5 Likes

I came across this tonight, have a guess as who who said it, and when they said it.

When television is good, nothing—not the theater, not the magazines or newspapers—nothing is better.

But when television is bad, nothing is worse. I invite each of you to sit down in front of your own television set when your station goes on the air and stay there, for a day, without a book, without a magazine, without a newspaper, without a profit and loss sheet or a rating book to distract you. Keep your eyes glued to that set until the station signs off. I can assure you that what you will observe is a vast wasteland.

You will see a procession of game shows, formula comedies about totally unbelievable families, blood and thunder, mayhem, violence, sadism, murder, western bad men, western good men, private eyes, gangsters, more violence, and cartoons. And endlessly, commercials—many screaming, cajoling, and offending. And most of all, boredom. True, you’ll see a few things you will enjoy. But they will be very, very few. And if you think I exaggerate, I only ask you to try it.

When you find the answer, you’ll wonder if nothing much has changed since that statement has changed. Thoughts?

1 Like

Because these sorts of things are always somewhere on the internet already…

“Television and the Public Interest,” also known as “The Wasteland Speech,” given by FCC chairman Newton N. Minow to the convention of the National Association of Broadcasters, May 9, 1961.

It still holds up pretty well even six decades on, although the general state of Australian commercial television in 2021 could probably be summed up in a sentence or two:

Yes.

Stations by and large don’t sign off anymore.

Home shopping and reality TV have replaced a lot of what used to be on.

I think other forms of entertainment at its best are better are better than TV at its best, which is never really that great anymore due to constant pop up promos, watermarks, endless hype and ads of course. A great movie at the cinema is better. Being at a sporting event with great atmosphere is better.

1 Like

It’s uncanny - cutlet that looks EXACTLY like Australia.

The bottom of the cutlet had the unique curve of the Great Australian Bight, while the peninsula of land that includes Darwin could be seen clearly at the top.

Yep - that “peninsula of land that includes” Darwin was an almost exact duplicate of the real thing! And what about Cape York Peninsular!

Pity that Tassy was missing :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Cue the forgotten-again outrage from Tasmania! :wink:

3 Likes

I shall be scouring the aisles of Aldi for a Germany-shaped schnitty.

3 Likes

Got hungry before they took the photo.

1 Like

It’s not really Australian because in Australia they are called chicken fillets. :wink:

2 Likes

Looks like a chicken schnitzel to me.

4 Likes

Seen on the internet:

4 Likes

Where’s the fun and property destruction in that? :rofl:

1 Like

I can seriously see Karl writing something as stupid as this. :rofl:

1 Like

if you live in Sydney and want a free Mighty box, let me know…

Not really sure where to put this but hope someone may find interesting

It’s a academic analysis of English & Maori News opens in New Zealand and how they reflect the section of society there audience is in.

https://www.tekaharoa.com/index.php/tekaharoa/article/view/345/306

3 Likes